1. #31 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    On this thread:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...g-the-CCC-mark

Anyone have more or contradicting info?

2. #32 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Merging across threads ...

In my opinion, it is completely impossible to predict what might happen. Over the past decade, I have heard many, many rumors about what will happen in a few months, or a year, or whatever. And it rarely does, or it happens in some modified sense, or what actually happens is completely unexpected.

I agree that the anti-pollution "measures" are alive and well, and that the weak are sacrificed to appease the Beijing masses. Case-in-point, the completely absurd BBQ ban. Additionally, and I don't know if many people are noticing this, but Beijing gas stations are slowly moving over to the countryside-style of filling motorcycles by pitcher, away from the pumps. This despite all the research and evidence about filling nozzles & pipes (anyone from a "clean" state in the USA will know what I mean). And, of course, the obvious safety issues. I've seen a few stations that now require this - really surprised me.

Attacking motorcycles, like BBQs, is easy - most members of the public already dislike motorcycles. Who cares if it is a completely absurd policy, as it allows government the opportunity to appear to be doing something. TIC, and a rational policy-making process isn't in existence.

I am not sure about A plates being restricted about transfers (I have heard that one before, as far back as 2006), but it could be possible (TIC - anything is possible). The most recent attack on A-plate agents has been the new surprise policy of new plate numbers being issued on every transfer - one can no longer "sell" a special number (e.g., 京A 66666). But since around 2008, I have often read many scare tactic stories/rumors about A plates on Chinese forums, usually being written by people who are trying to bring the A-plate prices down. If the government was genuinely serious about reducing A plates, it simply needs to do what Shanghai does and install a policy that permits A-plate holders to trade them in for a car plate. My guess is you'd see at least half the A-plates disappear overnight.

One rumor I have heard concerns public B-plates - i.e., government trying to limit this occurrence (e.g., company registered B-plated bikes). PICC, the largest local insurer of motorcycle insurance, has just been directed to require the registered owner's original ID card/company documents for insurance renewals. There also appears to be some "difficulties" in the annual inspections of company registrations. Both of these are major departures from how things worked as recent as a few months ago.

Obviously, I have zero idea about what the "leaders" are "planning" (my view is that there usually isn't much planning, rather knee-jerk reactions). But if they wanted motorcycles out of the core, they could just do it. And the "pollution" argument is always convenient. I'm not sure how Harley, BMW, Ducati, and so on would react.

3. #33 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks for the reply. Just to add to the rumour mill, someone has posted something about Jing B plates running out to be replaced by Jing C plates which would perhaps be limited to outside the 5th Ring. They keep you on your toes so that even if they do nothing it makes you feel "fortunate".

4. #34 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Just to add to the rumour mill, someone has posted something about Jing B plates running out to be replaced by Jing C plates which would perhaps be limited to outside the 5th Ring. They keep you on your toes so that even if they do nothing it makes you feel "fortunate".

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Merging across threads ...

In my opinion, it is completely impossible to predict what might happen. Over the past decade, I have heard many, many rumors about what will happen in a few months, or a year, or whatever. And it rarely does, or it happens in some modified sense, or what actually happens is completely unexpected.

I agree that the anti-pollution "measures" are alive and well, and that the weak are sacrificed to appease the Beijing masses. Case-in-point, the completely absurd BBQ ban. Additionally, and I don't know if many people are noticing this, but Beijing gas stations are slowly moving over to the countryside-style of filling motorcycles by pitcher, away from the pumps. This despite all the research and evidence about filling nozzles & pipes (anyone from a "clean" state in the USA will know what I mean). And, of course, the obvious safety issues. I've seen a few stations that now require this - really surprised me.

Attacking motorcycles, like BBQs, is easy - most members of the public already dislike motorcycles. Who cares if it is a completely absurd policy, as it allows government the opportunity to appear to be doing something. TIC, and a rational policy-making process isn't in existence.

I am not sure about A plates being restricted about transfers (I have heard that one before, as far back as 2006), but it could be possible (TIC - anything is possible). The most recent attack on A-plate agents has been the new surprise policy of new plate numbers being issued on every transfer - one can no longer "sell" a special number (e.g., 京A 66666). But since around 2008, I have often read many scare tactic stories/rumors about A plates on Chinese forums, usually being written by people who are trying to bring the A-plate prices down. If the government was genuinely serious about reducing A plates, it simply needs to do what Shanghai does and install a policy that permits A-plate holders to trade them in for a car plate. My guess is you'd see at least half the A-plates disappear overnight.

One rumor I have heard concerns public B-plates - i.e., government trying to limit this occurrence (e.g., company registered B-plated bikes). PICC, the largest local insurer of motorcycle insurance, has just been directed to require the registered owner's original ID card/company documents for insurance renewals. There also appears to be some "difficulties" in the annual inspections of company registrations. Both of these are major departures from how things worked as recent as a few months ago.

Obviously, I have zero idea about what the "leaders" are "planning" (my view is that there usually isn't much planning, rather knee-jerk reactions). But if they wanted motorcycles out of the core, they could just do it. And the "pollution" argument is always convenient. I'm not sure how Harley, BMW, Ducati, and so on would react.
    Hmm, more additions to the lovely stew that is motorcycle rumors. Also, good insight on those who might be adding to the pot. Still a bit weary about pulling the trigger on the 京A plate.

Will only be here for two more years and the prospect of not being able to (legally) ride my 京B plated bike seems like a smaller risk then losing 5-7万 if sh*t hits the fan and the plates are no longer transferable.

5. #35 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Wow.

From Monday, November 3, 2014 until Wednesday, November 12, 2014 (inclusive) ALL motorcycles are banned from operating anywhere within the 6th Ring Road. That includes both A plated and B plated motorcycles.

Damn APEC.

source

UPDATE: There is a raging debate on a couple of Chinese motorcycle forums about the accuracy and/or legitimacy of this "complete" motorcycle ban. Although the total ban has been reported through several Chinese media outlets, and one English outlet, the PSB has not issued a formal notice. It seems no one really knows what is going on (surprise, surprise). We'll see what happens on Monday.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 11-01-2014 at 12:17 AM.

6. #36 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Anti-motorcycle jihad in full effect. Somehow motorcycles are causing some problem and need to be banned, but what that problem is, I still can't figure out. Weirdly when someone parks their imported BMW 7 series diagonally across a cycle lane or side street no preventing emergency vehicle access nothing is ever done about that.

In my city they are busy trying to figure out how to give the cars more road space and more parking space at the expense of every other road user. OK then do it guys, I'll be riding my bicycle and getting everywhere 10 times faster, keep building more roads buying more and more cars increasing the gridlock and stupidity. I'll just be laughing harder and harder at the frustrated depressed drivers in their little tin boxes doing petty little 1km journeys that take hours, idiots.

7. #37 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Within the past fortnight or thereabouts, an area around my place of employment has seen or witnessed an overnight phenomenon develop with diagonal parking lines have been added to the local footpaths/pavements. Some small bike parking bays have also been included in this new painted allocation. Previously there was only a worn white painted line that indicated bike parking near the footpaths/pavements road edging. Fortunately the paths/pavements in question are wide. Consequently vehicles can seemingly drive onto said footpaths/pavements indiscriminately with impunity with the drivers being able to claim they were 'parking'. The parallel street parking spaces still remain. However it's still a bit of a cluster fark, since some drivers decide to park however they wish since there is hardly ever any parking enforcement actions.

Just this past Thursday I walked from my place of employment during the lunch period to a local Green Style bakery to buy various types of sandwiches (newly introduced product range I might add). As I was about to cross the road, I watched bemused as a driver in a big white sedan parked his car nose in between to parallel parked cars, so that his car was two thirds sticking out and blocked almost the entire lane on one side of the road way. I felt like asking to him to move and find a better parking spot, since there were other more suitable spots, but given the logic free zone - it would have been a waste of breath and effort. Nope, what I'd rather have is a South African built Marauder vehicle as demo'd on Top Gear. Then drive that vehicle round the place with a feeling of immunity - the result would likely be many other vehicles with bent, damaged and missing panels! All as a result of my singularly justifiable vigilanty actions. Next on the wish list would be the ability to become invisible at will... LoL.

I wish!

TIC, forget the free trade zones (FTZ).... instead the whole of PRC should be branded or labelled the logic free zone (LFZ). Anyone enterprising enough could start marketing global tours to come visit the worlds biggest zoo and LFZ.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 11-01-2014 at 02:47 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #38 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Update re APEC:

Well, TIC.

Over the past couple of days, my assistant tried to get more info. A call to the Traffic Police indicated that it wasn't really sure, aside from out-of-province bikes being banned from coming inside the 6th Ring Road. The Traffic Police provided another number to call, which was a wrong number.

A couple of bike dealers said "ALL bikes are banned", but they weren't really sure. They thought that maybe the new even/odd plate restrictions that are applying to cars will also apply to bikes.

I just sold an A-plated bike on the weekend, and the buyer called the inspection yard / transfer offices, and it said "we haven't heard anything. Just ride the bike in and tell any police that you are coming for a transfer."

So, nobody really knows. TIC

As of right now, lunch time on Monday, the supposed first day of the total ban, bikes are out and about, A plated, B plated, even numbered, odd numbered ... business as usual. There is a little Traffic Police hut on the corner beside my residence, and one of the Traffic Police has a scooter he rides to/from work. It is sitting there this morning, as usual.

============

Re insane car parking. I recall back in 2003, or so, when I first moved into Beijing (from Shanghai / Hong Kong), how wonderful Beijing was with all of its bike lanes. It was definitely one of the reasons I stayed. Today, the bike lanes are still there, but they have become parking lots for the insane number of cars in Beijing. It has really ruined a positive characteristic of Beijing, and Beijing definitely needs anything positive these days. Really sad to see it ruined.

9. #39 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou;72570[B
    ][/B]

Re insane car parking. I recall back in 2003, or so, when I first moved into Beijing (from Shanghai / Hong Kong), how wonderful Beijing was with all of its bike lanes. It was definitely one of the reasons I stayed. Today, the bike lanes are still there, but they have become parking lots for the insane number of cars in Beijing. It has really ruined a positive characteristic of Beijing, and Beijing definitely needs anything positive these days. Really sad to see it ruined.
    This is sadly a China wide city problem. It seems because the government encouraged cars they seem unable or unwilling to tackle idiotic parking that blocks cycle lanes and smaller side streets. My residential road is the width of three cars but cars park down both sides making it a single lane street of which turns into utter gridlock as nobody wants to yield.

For me it's simple, choose a bright colored lines or colors. Park on them and get towed, simple. Different color, different severity, different tow yard different fine. Normal fines don't work as they are too low or drivers registration is out of date etc. Government would make money, can't see why not.

Needs logic and imagination, not much in abundance here.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 11-04-2014 at 01:43 AM.

10. #40 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    This is sadly a China wide city problem. It seems because the government encouraged cars they seem unable or unwilling to tackle idiotic parking that blocks cycle lanes and smaller side streets. My residential road is the width of three cars but cars park down both sides making it a single lane street of which turns into utter gridlock as nobody wants to yield.

For me it's simple, choose a bright colored lines or colors. Park on them and get towed, simple. Different color, different severity, different tow yard different fine. Normal fines don't work as they are too low or drivers registration is out of date etc. Government would make money, can't see why not.

Needs logic and imagination, not much in abundance here
    I was thinking that very thought as I read your reply ZMC888... TIC - PRC the worlds LFZ! Come one, come all, we want your investment, technologies and ideas (but only some of them, the rest can make up of the fly). Maintenance - not required.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast