Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    C-Moto Guru
    Total lack of understanding the concept of safety in this country!

Getting turned down to get onto the highways in other provinces beside BJ, because it's not supposed to be safe for motorcycles according to police/toll personnel. The provincial road full of trucks, potholes, debris, sand, etc is safe for motorcycles obviously!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

2. #12 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Stop it! We live in a Logic Free Zone and you will hurt yourself if you keep trying to use logic!
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

3. #13 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Another silly practically unenforcable law made up by unelected car drivers.
    Why all these bans? I don't know about Beijing but where I am, I'm a 1%er! The 1% of motorcyclists who is actually legal! Maybe if the police did their farking job.....
    Where I am, when I went to the traffic inspection office to have my bike checked and my inspection papers sorted out, they looked at me very very surprisedly.

4. #14 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ditto that! Outside of the major cities becoming legal can be difficult. I'm still only half legal. After a month police friends finally helped get the tag, I'm the first foriegner ever in Shangqiu, Henan to register a vehicle. I still don't have the drivers license. They say that I need to go to Zhengzhou. When I ask when and where they say we'll call you and tell you mingtian, tomorrow. I guess I'll go for the DL next fall when I move to Wuhan.

5. #15 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcmanus View Post
    Ditto that! Outside of the major cities becoming legal can be difficult. I'm still only half legal. After a month police friends finally helped get the tag, I'm the first foriegner ever in Shangqiu, Henan to register a vehicle. I still don't have the drivers license. They say that I need to go to Zhengzhou. When I ask when and where they say we'll call you and tell you mingtian, tomorrow. I guess I'll go for the DL next fall when I move to Wuhan.
    For all I know, the local authorities can provide you with a license. They just your passport, visa and residential permit for it. You, in turn, need to take an exam. What happens here is: they got no idea how to process foreigner's papers, and, thusly, they just don't try to. They're sending you to ZhengZhou just because they believe that the local police might have had some experience dealing with foreigners.

6. #16 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    I got my lic years ago.... C1D I think.. they originally place my nationality as Chinese .... which gave me no problems til this year when I was told to move my lic to Beijing.. and then it couldn't be done until my old location which had issued the license ..... changed the nationality.. had an old girlfriend take care of it for me by traveling to the old Provence that had first issued my lic. and had them change it .. easy as pie....
    LMMC/LAMF

7. #17 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Hi Guys,

What's the penalty for getting caught with a non-BJ plate within the 6th ring? I live in Shanghai now and plan to move to Bejing and bring my legally plated Hu-A bike to Beijing.

If I get caught would it get confiscated or is it a 3 points deduction and 100 RMB fine?

8. #18 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Surely it's a local bylaw? How could detention, confiscation or points be possible as that would need a vote in the national People's congress? Surely it's just a fine, but TIC a logic free zone so who knows?

9. #19 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    @wrangler ...

Typically, it is a 100 rmb fine (no points), although the penalty can go up to 200 rmb and 3 points (but that is apparently rare, and reserved for riders who mouth off to the police). Also, the traffic cameras rarely nab a motorcycle, except on the Airport Expressway, where riding in the Emergency Lane can result in a 100 rmb ticket (I know people who have had this happen to).

I'd like to say "don't worry", but who knows. Enforcement seems very hit & miss, with zero consistency.

@ZMC ...

Somehow, and I am not entirely sure how, a jurisdiction's local police have the authority to hand out "administrative detention" penalties at their discretion. There was that recent case of a guy in Shandong getting 5 days detention for saying the police were "cowards" after he got a parking ticket. Linkie 1 Linkie 2 (where the police apologize)

And in a recent case in Beijing, 60 "models" were arrested in a police sting. Linkie This is a weird case, because the "models" apparently showed up for an interview, as opposed to actually "working". But who knows, maybe they were the "working" girl type of "model"?

I also recall some discussion about the ability for police to detain someone (without charge or trial) for up to 2 years (or is it 3?) for disrupting social order, and a myriad of other "crimes."

10. #20 Re: New rumor about Beijing motorbike ban inside 6th ring 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
    Hi Guys,

What's the penalty for getting caught with a non-BJ plate within the 6th ring? I live in Shanghai now and plan to move to Bejing and bring my legally plated Hu-A bike to Beijing.

If I get caught would it get confiscated or is it a 3 points deduction and 100 RMB fine?
    I'd guess that the rule and penalty including enforcement would be similar to what occurs in SH, whereby an out of town plate or even the Hu (SH) C bike plate caught in the downtown area designated for Hu (SH) A & B plated bikes, receive a fine without points provided that everything else connected with the bike and rider is in order.

I've had this occur to me on a couple of occasions. Once in the outskirts of XiaoShan, as I was riding to SH from NB. Rode up to a set of traffic lights stopping at the red traffic light/signal. As I sat waiting for 'the green', a young-ish PSB cop walks over and in fairly decent English informs me that bikes are forbidden in that part or on that road. I replied that I was unaware of this (truthfully didn't know & had ridden the same route multiples times on rides NB-SH-NB without incident). I politely and with a smile, asked where I could ride to head towards SH. The cop replied and indicated to take the next road to my right. No ticket.

Another time when visiting the ShaoXing medical university, I rode my bike through the town with a local lass (med student) as pillion. We were stopped by two cops at an intersection in the heart of the town, again at a set of traffic lights/signals on a red. We had to park the bike beside the small police relocatable type building. The cops said it was a CNY200 no points. I protested politely that I was unaware that there was a bike ban in the town (truth was I'd forgotten). The cops pointed out verbally that there were signs on all main approach roads into the town. I had however come in on a minor road that had crossed some mountains & hills, which was truthful and there were no such signs. They looked at my PRC D/L and were preparing to ticket me the CNY200, but they had difficulty processing my D/L because they had to hand write the ticket. The pair stumbled/fumbled with my name on my D/L which was in English and it's a long name by Ch!nese standards, but worse for the two cops was that they were unsure that my passport number on the my D/L (but was near the centre at the top underneath the D/L title etc) was what should be entered on their ticket for the PRC ID number... I didn't help them work that out. In their frustration, they relented and let me off. I was polite as all heck, and left my bike there (after asking them if this would be ok) so me and the lass could have some lunch nearby. On our return, we asked the two cops where to ride then to get back to the uni... no problems, we took side streets. Next visit, I drove my car...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast