Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Head race bearings faulty 
    C-Moto Regular
    Has anyone else on the forum experienced problems with the head rave bearings. Mine need replacing only done 3K miles but knowing what I know on what the symptoms are. I believe they went at around 1500-2000 miles.

Bike in the garage at the moment for warranty repair to race bearings and investigation into the very strong petrol vapour smell.. I note bikerdoc has already posted a separate article about the vapour smell.... Where US government are fining CF Moto for using tanks that were not certified.

2. #2 Re: Head race bearings faulty 
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Next time Honda, OK? I speak from experience!

Anyway Chinese bearings are crap which is why Japanese companies often buy in Japanese or Taiwanese bearings when they are making bikes in China for export. Don't replace with CFMOTO bearings FFS. Japanese or American bearing are about 40 quid from here http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/C.F.MOTO/650_NK/12/ but CFMOTO who seem to be lovers of saving about 100 quid over the whole bike but by doing so ruining their reputation obviously use cheapie Chinesey ones. On a similar note I think one of my wheel-bearings is on the way out, you never know they might have forgotten to grease them.

My best advice is to buy the Japanese bearings yourself from wemoto and make WK instal them on warranty, putting 'genuine CFMOTO' bearings in on warranty surely wouldn't be worth the agro, as they might not like the UK rain and salt and they might not last giving you a large bill at some later stage when you are out of warranty, I'm sure the bill for fitting bearing is ten times as much with labour and VAT.

Don't give up....it's a good bike, mostly.

3. #3 Re: Head race bearings faulty 
    C-Moto Senior
    I have had some problems with them, but it was because loose top nut.

Caused some damage to the top bearing cup and it needed to be rotated about 45degrees.

I am planning to go Kawasaki Thailand on month or so and buy new parts.

4. #4 Re: Head race bearings faulty 
    C-Moto Regular
    I have picked the bike up with new race bearing fitted, it feels very off like there is too much air in the tyre and the steering feels overly sensitive and vague... to the point where I have lost confidence in riding the bike.. I have never felt like that about any bike that I have owned (and I have owned a few) also they say that they have tried to resolve the fumes issue from the bike but I need to confirm that, will know more tomorrow after riding it to work. I have this afternoon contacted the finance company and made them aware of my concerns as in UK the finance company is ultimately responsible. They will investigate and get back to me. I have also in an email provided them with the link to the US fuel vapour problems as they wanted to review that info also. I have made them all aware that I am under the hospital for breathing related problems and these vapours are not good for that or good from a safety perspective as a potential fire hazard. - will let you know how I get on.

5. #5 Re: Head race bearings faulty 
    TR, sorry to hear that the bike still isn't right. Even with cheap Chinese bearings the bike should feel normal unless one or more of the balls is misshapen, and last at least 2000-10,000 miles, whereas Japanese or American bearings should last the lifespan of the bike. Therefore it could be poor installation by WK or bad bearings, get them to check the bike. If that doesn't work, maybe get nasty.

6. #6 Re: Head race bearings faulty 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Same problem. Had my bearings replaces. But now, the whole front end is vibrating. Used to be handlebars wobbling right & left while travelling at bout 80kmh. Apparently, there is no warranty on the bearings.
    The vibrations, I suspect, is either from the front forks or the triple trees, but, same, no warranty even though the bike is only 6 months old and travelled 7000km. Need to fork out bout RM 2000.00 (its about RMB 4000.00) to get it repaired. Either this bike sucks, the parts suck or the mechanic sucks.

Also, the front tires were defective so they replaced it with a 130 instead of a 120. (apparently, no stock for 120 tires), so now, the whole bike feels not road worthy. SIGH, Bad luck for me???

7. #7 Re: Head race bearings faulty 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Teh View Post
    Same problem. Had my bearings replaces. But now, the whole front end is vibrating. Used to be handlebars wobbling right & left while travelling at bout 80kmh. Apparently, there is no warranty on the bearings.
    The vibrations, I suspect, is either from the front forks or the triple trees, but, same, no warranty even though the bike is only 6 months old and travelled 7000km. Need to fork out bout RM 2000.00 (its about RMB 4000.00) to get it repaired. Either this bike sucks, the parts suck or the mechanic sucks.

Also, the front tires were defective so they replaced it with a 130 instead of a 120. (apparently, no stock for 120 tires), so now, the whole bike feels not road worthy. SIGH, Bad luck for me???
    I know exactly how you feel and the problems you are experiencing. .. had them also. I would describe the steering as very twitchy and light with no feel
    Last edited by 650TR Rider; 05-12-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: added info

8. #8 Re: Head race bearings faulty 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    For the twitchy light no feel feeling, the steering stems nuts needed to be tighten a little more. That sorted out my issues. But not the vibrations.
    That probably needs the forks or triple trees replaced.

Maybe you can try having the nuts tighten a bit more.

9. #9 Re: Head race bearings faulty 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Teh View Post
    For the twitchy light no feel feeling, the steering stems nuts needed to be tighten a little more. That sorted out my issues. But not the vibrations.
    That probably needs the forks or triple trees replaced.

Maybe you can try having the nuts tighten a bit more.
    got fed up with all the problems, sold it now :)

10. #10 Re: Head race bearings faulty 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Lucky you. Still trying to get someone to take it off my hands.