Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Pefect adv for China 
    C-Moto Guru
    What's the perfect adventure bike for China? I'm thinking light weight with carrying ability and good on and off-road ability.

I saw this ... The shineray x5 400cc features in top ten lightest adv bikes.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/li...venture-bikes/

Having ridden this, I like it but would like to make it even lighter. What mods would achieve this? Changing exhaust?..other? And would suspension have to be altered?

Seems a lot of people like the jh600 in China...

There was another post "what would be your perfect bike in china?" mine would be a drz400.

But how to achieve something similar with a Chinese bike?

Churchill customs mentioned in a youtube video some plans to do an adv bike... interesting

Others I've seen are the now discontinued Galaxy 250 adv version that came stock with a big tank.

So, how have you achieved this/would you achieve this?

2. #2 Re: Pefect adv for China 
    Do you have a link to Galaxy? Are they still making them? I believe we have them in the U.S. via Pitster Pro, but have not been able to access a site for years. I think they were manufactured by yinhe?

What about Fuego? I know that member 'Englishman in China' David Mccullam's wife is the CEO (or one of the principles) of the company. In fact, in the 'New Member' section, he just posted the latest online edition of the magazine he publishes, which might give you a few other ideas for a bike.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ycle-industry)

3. #3 Re: Pefect adv for China 
    You're confusing a couple things... It's not about what is, it's about what can you afford, and what can you legally register. I currently have a WR450 for trail riding and a KTM1190 for Adventure riding. If I were living in China again, I would buy both of those and be happy, because they're both available in China if you have the economic resources.

Nobody ever wanted to buy a JH600. It's a completely underpowered, heavy piece of shit. But they're 100% legal, and get the job done, so it's a great option for some people. Everything is a compromise in ADV. You either get heavy, lose power, or spend a ton of money modifying to create a great adventure bike. But you're missing the point. It's not the bike, it's the adventure. I owned about 20 bikes when I lived in China. 4 were imports, the rest were Chinese. I had a ton of fun with all of them.

Your question should be, what is the best ADV bike for ‎¥‎¥‎¥‎¥ price range.

In 2007, my V-Strom was the best ADV I could buy. ‎¥60,000 Purchase Price + ‎¥28,000 Import Fee ‎+ ¥11,000 registration = Total ‎¥99,000 . Then I spent another USD$1500.00 doing all the things you need to do to a V-Strom to make it a proper ADV machine. (Current owner is selling it here on MCM)

In 2010 I built a nice ADV bike out of Galaxy XTR250. I think I spent around ¥16,000 on that project. The most expensive thing was the imported D.I.D. chain I bought in HK, which was probably ¥800. That bike was super light (125KG), 15 liter fuel tank, totally legal etc.

Let's say you find a good deal on a DRZ400. Can you afford an imported bike? Everything you buy for it is going to be expensive. Even tires can easily set you back ¥1,500. If you have a problem during a trip, good luck finding parts in the middle of China for a DRZ400.

Everything in China is a compromise, focus on the adventure, not the vehicle.

4. #4 Re: Pefect adv for China 

5. #5 Re: Pefect adv for China 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    You're confusing a couple things... It's not about what is, it's about what can you afford, and what can you legally register. I currently have a WR450 for trail riding and a KTM1190 for Adventure riding. If I were living in China again, I would buy both of those and be happy, because they're both available in China if you have the economic resources.

Nobody ever wanted to buy a JH600. It's a completely underpowered, heavy piece of shit. But they're 100% legal, and get the job done, so it's a great option for some people. Everything is a compromise in ADV. You either get heavy, lose power, or spend a ton of money modifying to create a great adventure bike. But you're missing the point. It's not the bike, it's the adventure. I owned about 20 bikes when I lived in China. 4 were imports, the rest were Chinese. I had a ton of fun with all of them.

Your question should be, what is the best ADV bike for ‎¥‎¥‎¥‎¥ price range.

In 2007, my V-Strom was the best ADV I could buy. ‎¥60,000 Purchase Price + ‎¥28,000 Import Fee ‎+ ¥11,000 registration = Total ‎¥99,000 . Then I spent another USD$1500.00 doing all the things you need to do to a V-Strom to make it a proper ADV machine. (Current owner is selling it here on MCM)

In 2010 I built a nice ADV bike out of Galaxy XTR250. I think I spent around ¥16,000 on that project. The most expensive thing was the imported D.I.D. chain I bought in HK, which was probably ¥800. That bike was super light (125KG), 15 liter fuel tank, totally legal etc.

Let's say you find a good deal on a DRZ400. Can you afford an imported bike? Everything you buy for it is going to be expensive. Even tires can easily set you back ¥1,500. If you have a problem during a trip, good luck finding parts in the middle of China for a DRZ400.

Everything in China is a compromise, focus on the adventure, not the vehicle.
    okay, yeah , maybe it's a money thing... Could I afford an imported bike? Well probably not as I've just been scouring second hand bikes... So you paid 50% import fee. I've heard that this can be 40-60% of the cost.

Yes, weight versus power debate.

I'm still lacking experience. Yet to get off the blocks... with two abortive attempts to buy bikes here in the last couple of weeks...

Guess it's all just testing how much I want it.

6. #6 Re: Pefect adv for China 
    C-Moto Guru
    Yeah, I wrote to yinhe about the adv version of their xtr250... they said it's been discontinued.. But nice bike on that link you posted.

Perhaps perfect is not the right word.. adequate would be better, with the proviso that it's way under 2万.