Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Just bought new bike in Beijing! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hello. I just put my deposit down a new Qingqi QM200. IMG_20140406_153919.jpgAlthough the paint on the side, engine and owner's manual all list the bike as being only 125cc, the dealership assured (sales guy was Canadian-born HK kid) me that it was actually a 200cc engine. I was of course skeptical until I took it out on a test drive. Sure enough I was soon hitting 100kph no problem with the sales rep sitting behind me on the bike!The dealership offers an out-the-door cafe racer customization option for an additional 1,200 RMB, where they swap out the handlebars, add-in drop-down mirrors, and build a custom retro style seat. The bike in the above picture is the bike about half-way through the changes. The mirrors still need to be added (already ordered) and the old seat still needs to be swapped out. Jing-B plate and cafe-racer customization put the total price of the bike at 11,680rmb.I'll start adding in more pictures and ride reports sometime next week!
    Beijing: 2008 125cc Qingqi

2. #2 Re: Just bought new bike in Beijing! 
    Although the paint on the side, engine and owner's manual all list the bike as being only 125cc, the dealership assured (sales guy was Canadian-born HK kid) me that it was actually a 200cc engine.

I too have the same thing... seems it has to do with these 200cc not yet acquiring ht paperwork to be reg as 200cc....hence the 125 tag....this is the same case as my 2oo QingQi.... Jing A plate
    LMMC/LAMF

3. #3 Re: Just bought new bike in Beijing! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Beijing: 2008 125cc Qingqi

4. #4 Re: Just bought new bike in Beijing! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks for writing this up! It solves a mystery I've been puzzling over for about a week. I found it on Taobao listed as a 200cc QM125-3X(II). But the description simulataneously lists it as a 200 and as a 125! And everywhere else I've looked (qlmoto.com, qingqi.com.cn, etc.) lists it as a 125. I finally came to the conclusion that the taobao seller was playing it a bit loose.. only to see your post here. Classic TIC - everything indicates that it's a 125, it gets registered as a 125, but yet it's a semi-open secret that it's really a 200!

5. #5 Re: Just bought new bike in Beijing! 
    GJN.
    Nice looking bike you have there.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

6. #6 Re: Just bought new bike in Beijing! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Nice looking cafe! Have you been happy with bike? Where's this dealer in BJ?

7. #7 Re: Just bought new bike in Beijing! 
    In 2008 I came across this article which I also found very confusing: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...e-brother.html

Seems the Germans too like to market their motorcycles at lesser displacement (albeit for other reasons) but nonetheless I find it ridiculous:
    BMW's F650GS is neither a 650, nor is it much of a GS, which is a confusing introduction to the machine. But if the marketing people were guilty of some convoluted thinking, BMW's engineers appear to have known exactly what they were doing, as it's a cracking good motorcycle.

In fact, the F650GS is such a capable bike it may just have spread more confusion by upstaging the F800GS it's derived from, offering not a lot less for a lot less money. The two bikes are closely related, starting with the F650's 800cc engine (see what I mean?), which is basically the same as the F800's twin-cylinder, liquid-cooled unit, but retuned to produce 71bhp against the 800GS's 84bhp, with an easier delivery and more torque at lower rpm.

The bike is called the F650GS partly to help distinguish it from the higher-spec 800 (although you would have thought there are less confusing ways to do that), and partly because it's meant to be the direct successor to the old F650GS. That was a single-cylinder machine of 652cc capacity which stood at the foot of BMW's range as the company's entry-level machine, and very popular it was too.

The new 800cc F650GS deserves to maintain and build on that popularity as it retains the old bike's relaxed and easy riding qualities while adding more performance (with no extra intimidation for novices). In particular, it has a much less fussy ride at low revs around town. Single-cylinder bikes don't like being lugged around in the bottom regions of their rev bands as the lumpy power pulses resonate through the transmission, causing the bike to jerk and shudder.

Really, I find this so un-German.
    Anyway, have fun with your Qingqi QM200!