Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Importing Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Importing Parts 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all. Wondering if anyone here has any experience shipping in large parts from overseas into Beijing/Tianjin? Or should I say, shipping a bike here in pieces with the end result being all the parts reaching, and customs not getting a sniff of an entire vehicle coming in. How would you go about labelling the engine, frame, rims, etc? Has anyone here done it? Or even just brought in large parts from overseas? Thanks.

If you import a bike in that way, you may cleverly avoid taxes which may be a massive saving.

The problem that you may not have thought of is, you are going to have to have some seriously powerful and corrupt mates in the police to be able to register any bike, this means that you would be constantly breaking the law, your riding pleasure restricted to rural areas and the danger of BIG problems in the event of an accident.

If the bike is for purely off-road use, it makes sense, surely labeled automotive parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Taimur View Post
    Hi all. Wondering if anyone here has any experience shipping in large parts from overseas into Beijing/Tianjin?
    Smuggling you mean

I know a guy in Beijing who assembles custom bikes, Harley style. He is officially importing bits and pieces from all over the planet, but they cannot be registered because he has no manufacturing license.

Andy
    Andy

I think you can find some bigger illegally imported bikes from Hong Kong in various places around China, if you are going to ride the powerful bike without plates route. You might not find exactly what you are looking for, but something with a similar configuration to the bike you are after. You have to be careful though, the other day I saw an XJR that had been dressed to look like a mid 90's R1, but had some Chinese cruiser forks on it! One guy was sitting on it asking the shop owner the price, I was saying....what a deathtrap!

A guy I know has some connections in Guangdong for Hong Kong bikes and can order them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    A guy I know has some connections in Guangdong for Hong Kong bikes and can order them.
    The "professionals" in the "industry" is located at 碣石, Guangdong.

Is that place called Jieshi?

Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    The "professionals" in the "industry" is located at 碣石, Guangdong.
    A little bird told me that dozens of the "professionals" have been caught recently, which sent prices for these "imports" up sharply.

Andy
    Andy

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Smuggling?? That's bad and I wouldn't consider it.

In Beijing it's next to impossible to register a sportbike anyways, unless you go the fake Hebei plates route. Which is possible with any bike. What scares me about buying a bike here is not knowing what parts have been swapped with chinese parts and what you end up getting. I'm just considering it seeing as I'll be making a trip back.

What I'm concerned with is do I need a special permit or license to import auto parts? Or can I have it shipped to a residential or office address? Also, are duties slapped on personal shipments of auto parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Taimur View Post
    What I'm concerned with is do I need a special permit or license to import auto parts? Or can I have it shipped to a residential or office address? Also, are duties slapped on personal shipments of auto parts?

As I understand it you need a business license to import anything (of any size) and the scope of the license needs to be in the field of or related to the items to be imported. License to import food will not allow you to import vehicle parts for instance. Licensed Trading Companies have a broader scope.

I know someone that brought a bike in a container of personal goods and the importer (trading company) paid off customs to look the other way. Gets harder and more expensive each year though. Personally I wouldn't bother and I'd go with the bike already in country option if i had to have one. I know a few people that have bought great bikes from Guangzhou "dealers".

On the other hand you could buy a Chang and a Dual purpose 250 have money left over, be completely legal and have just as much fun......... and with the left over cash, rent a track bike and do some trackdays, go fast and go faster safer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast