Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Interesting information, but I'm confused as why they didn't give your wife a 10 year license now, (presuming she has not been in an accident since she got her license).

I thought considering no accident or blame:

1. 6 year license
    2. 10 year license
    3. Lifetime license until 70

Is this different for foreigners and local Chinese?

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Interesting information, but I'm confused as why they didn't give your wife a 10 year license now, (presuming she has not been in an accident since she got her license).

1. 6 year license
    2. 10 year license

Never heard of the 6 - 10 - unlimited thing but I'll check it.
    Andy

3. #23 Renewind a Chinese driving license 

1. 6 year license
    2. 10 year license

You are right there. Although she didn't have any points, she only got 6 years. Maybe she should have asked for. Conditions as follows from here.

Driver's license renewal

I. Conditions

(1) 90 days before the driver's license expires

(2) Driver's license has not been put in a suspended, canceled or revoked state

II. Required documentation

(1) <Driver's license application form>

(2) Applicant and, if applicable, authorized agent's original identification document

(3) Original Health examination certificate issued by hospital of county level and above. Applicants 71 years of age and people with bad left lower limb apply for renewal. must submit health certificate issued by the hospitals appointed by municipal bureau of medical care.

(4) Original driver's license

(5) 3 1-inch color photos with a white background

III. Processing time

Within one business day after the application has been received

IV. Others
    (1) The applicant should apply to renew the license issued by Beijing Motor Vehicle Administration within 90 days before its expiration. A license with a 10 year effective period will be given to those whose penalty points are less than 12 penalty points in each of the past six years. A long-term driver's license will be issued to those whose penalty points will be less than 12 penalty points in each of the coming 10 years.

(2) Inspection of the driver's license will be done at the same time when renewing the license. Inspected items include: license holder's health condition and accumulated points. An applicant whose accumulated point total has exceeded the maximum allowable will have his/her license revoked in accordance with the 'Road Traffic Safety Violation and Punishment Regulations' (Public Security Department, Order No.69, article no. 11).

(3) An applicant 60 years of age or above or an applicant who has a license to drive large-size passenger vehicles, tractor, buses, mid-size passenger vehicle, large-size freight vehicles and trolleys must get a physical health examination once a year and submit health certificate issued by hospital of county level or above within 15 days following the end date of a annual period for recording license penalty points (one period is 12 months, beginning from the initial date of issue on the license).
    Andy

OK, so that means your wife was entitled to a ten year license. Which means that anyone having their license renewed should ask for a ten year license, which they may or may not actually get.

How are you coming along with the temporary license question?

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Probably already been clarified but; I spoke to somebody in the "Beijing traffic management bureau" (北京市公安局公安交通管理局) and was told that temporary licences only covered cars. I went on to ask about getting a licence for bikes as a foreigner and non-resident. Rather than getting the categorical "not possible" I was expecting, I was told to contact the PSB traffic police in the area I wanted to visit. So, watch this space.

Wuming, I'll try in this area for you if you would like me to ask the PSB here!

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks ZMC888, I haven't forgotten about your earlier offer of help. I want to go to Xinjiang as a first choice, so I am following leads there at the moment. However, if that proves to be a non-starter, I may well head to Shandong. I've bought a ticket to Hong Kong for the end of August, but my plans once I arrive are still pretty flexible. I'll keep you updated. Cheers

An interesting discussion! Here's a little bit of information that I recently discovered - in Chongqing no driver's licence or vehicle licence is needed for an electric scooter. Also no licence plate.

A Chinese friend rides one and after confirming this with several people, including the dealers this appears to be true. I bought an electric scooter a month ago and have been riding it around without a licence plate, 'cause its not registered anywhere, and have had no hassles at all.

I have heard it referred to by Chinese colleagues as a 'bicycle' and the uphill performance isn't significantly better than a bicycle but on the level it can do about 40 kph and downhill (steep) probably close to 60.
    Chongqing
    '12 Lifan 250 P
    e-biker 48/64/72v
    '77 CB 750 F1
    '75 XL 250

That is also the case with electric bicycles in my area. Although in Beijing I hear they must have number plates! Crazy!

OK, so that means your wife was entitled to a ten year license. Which means that anyone having their license renewed should ask for a ten year license, which they may or may not actually get.
    Obviously she was entitled. It seems to be not normal that a foreigner is extending his license, since there aren't many of us staying over six years .

How are you coming along with the temporary license question?
    The C1 license is pretty easy to get hold of. It shouldn't take much longer than a day or maximum two. Bike license is still a problem, but a little bird told me that it might be a lot easier to apply for E rather than for D (D includes E)

E = 2 wheels only
    D = one wheel too much to be a bike and one too less to be a car

So let's see when we are through with the next "temp dl dummy"
    Andy

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast