Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Legal issues, clarifying the law in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Andy,

What was the adventuremotorcycle.com link you included in your last post? Grandma here in Shanghai apparently disapproves. I couldn't even fetch it with a VPN.

cheers
    Grandma here in Shanghai wouldn't be able to see the content if you did fetch it with a VPN, or your VPN ain't worth a dime. A bit too fast in jumping to conclusion??

2. #52 Re: Legal issues, clarifying the law in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Well, I'm confused about this too. Whether through VPN or not, Chrome loaded the entire MCM page, but then got stuck for many minutes, and all I could see at the bottom was a partial link to adventuremotorcycle.com. I'm not technically inclined, so I did not know how to find the complete URL for what it was polling. I did, in a separate window, browse to adventuremotorcycle.com, and after a long wait this did load, both with and without a VPN.

I'm generally of the view that when something fails to load here inside the firewall, even something presumably innocuous like a dual sport magazine site, it's because some part of grandma's filtering apparatus has thrown up a barrier -- likely an automated/non-human one. I did not necessarily mean to impugn grandma's reputation for accuracy in her filtering, though I do have plenty of experience with impugnable offenses on her part!

I take your point about the nature of VPNs -- that if it's working she should not be able to "know" what's passing through. On the other hand, I've recently read reports that new technical restraints are being applied to VPNs themselves, making them harder to use. I can attest that my VPN has seriously declined in effectiveness and download speed in the past six months or so, though I don't know why. I use W*top*a's SSL service via V*scos*ty. Have you found something better?

thanks!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #53 Re: Legal issues, clarifying the law in China 
    Foreigner can't see internet = must be great firewall
    Chinese can't see internet = internet or website is broken

It's all good.

Ess Ess H Tunnnell to your own procksee running Ess Ess H on port eighty. Vee Pee Enns are for noobs.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #54 Re: Legal issues, clarifying the law in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Ess Ess H Tunnnell to your own procksee running Ess Ess H on port eighty. Vee Pee Enns are for noobs.
    Now that's a great piece of advice. I recently spent several months in California, and had hoped to set up a prockseee there. But I was unable to make this happen for a variety of somewhat lame reasons owing chiefly to my own lack of technical skills, but also to my general parsimoniousness; I don't have a home base there where I can set up a dedicated, linked PC, so I'd have had to find a commercial home for one.

I have seen sites with step by step instructions for setting up that ess ess eitch tunnnelllll, and would love to do so. I may ring you one day when I'm ready to try...

euphonius the newb...
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #55 Re: Legal issues, clarifying the law in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Instructions for a noob ?
    Andy

6. #56 Re: Legal issues, clarifying the law in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    Instructions for a noob ?
    Some PM's sent, let me know if help is needed.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #57 Re: Legal issues, clarifying the law in China 
    I know you are circling round other issues but why couldn't I see that link in Aus then? Just Firefox?

8. #58 Re: Legal issues, clarifying the law in China - the 10 year driving license 
    Here the official read from Police about the ten year validity of driving licenses.
    Andy

9. #59 Re: Legal issues, clarifying the law in China - the 10 year driving license 
    That looks pretty official.

Question: My Beijing license lapsed years ago, so I'm on a brand-new 6-year Shanghai-issued license. In the bad old days I remember having to do some kind of admin thing each year. Visit the DMV, stand in line, pay some fees. Is that still the case, or is this a once-off license you don't have to think about for 6 or 10 years?

thanks
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #60 Re: Legal issues, clarifying the law in China - the 10 year driving license 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    That looks pretty official.
    Question: My Beijing license lapsed years ago, so I'm on a brand-new 6-year Shanghai-issued license. In the bad old days I remember having to do some kind of admin thing each year. Visit the DMV, stand in line, pay some fees. Is that still the case, or is this a once-off license you don't have to think about for 6 or 10 years?
    thanks
    While the license is within the validity period and provided you have not done anything to violate it, then you do not need to do anything about it. No fees or other administrative procedures are needed, other than doing all you can to not accumulate 12 demerit points within any 2 year period. Keep in mind that while most demerit points are 3 points, some infractions are much higher, like speeding more than half the posted limit results in 6 demerit points while other infractions things like DUI can be much higher.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast