Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Quick Question about BJ plates 
    So if I have a bike with plate transferred to my name, then I get the plate legally transferred to a new bike, the plate number changes right?

If that's the case, I'll see if I can get a better deal on a plate with a lot of 4's in the number.

2. #2 Re: Quick Question about BJ plates 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    depends on where bike is registered/plated, the location of both registered owner, and residence on intending buyer... TIC and one solution does not work for all...

3. #3 Re: Quick Question about BJ plates 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    In Beijing, the rule unexpectedly changed earlier this year (2014).

Previously, you could keep your plate number when you went from bike to bike. Now, you cannot - you will get a new number for each registration change.

The Beijing city government announced that the reason for its change in policy was to eliminate the added value (in the private marketplace) of special numbers. The government stated that it will be auctioning those special numbers, Hong Kong style, probably starting later this year. In other words, government wants the cash that people are willing to pay for "lucky" or "unique" numbers. In Hong Kong, revenue derived from its plate auctions is targeted for social programs (e.g., education, healthcare, etc.). The Beijing government has not indicated where its revenue might be targeted.

As I mentioned in another post somewhere on here, the A-plate number 66666 was acquired last year by an agent (for the market price of about 40K, at the time) who then turned around and immediately listed it for sale for 1.5 million rmb. The agent had turned down an offer of 1 million rmb. Previously, a plate-buyer could transfer that 66666 number to a new bike of his/her choice. Under the new policy-surprise, that 66666 number has to stay on the bike it is on (which happens to be a little Honda scooter), and with the same registered owner (the agent). The plate number now has zero added value, as it cannot be transferred. The policy change was done overnight. Obviously, the agent was a little unhappy.

Perhaps you might have some luck keeping a B-plate number, through a smallish office, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 04-12-2014 at 10:11 PM.