Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Sinnis Apache gearing? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all, I currently ride a Varadero 125 and Sinnis Apache. Every time I get back on the Sinnis the first thing I notice is the crazy gearing, first gear barely gets you moving. I've got to zip up to third to be able to sit in traffic. To be honest, unless I'm on a hill it's easier pulling away in second from junctions.

I've seen a lot of people swap from a 15t front, to 16t, but this will only give a 7% change to gearing. Instead of first maxing out at 12, you're going to be maxing out at 13. I've seen CMPO sells a 46 rear, which would change the bike from:
    15 / 51 = 0.294

to:
    16 / 46 = 0.348

A 20% leap in gear range, is this going to be too big a change? Will it still have enough torque to get up to 60ish? I'm not hugely bothered about acceleration at the low end, higher top speed would be welcome!

Also have people found the DEP pipes a noticable upgrade? It seems a huge cost for an end can + jet, the graphs looked like they gave a bit more torque at lower revs?

Cheers!

2. #2 Re: Sinnis Apache gearing? 
    C-Moto Guru
    It's no wonder that your gearing seems bad if you have a 51 tooth rear; I think the default is either a 42 or 45 tooth rear and 15 front.

The biggest front sprocket you can get is a 17 tooth but you have to order them from a Chinese eBay equivalent called Taobao which is a tad complicated and it takes a few weeks to arrive. Also you would need a longer chain.

I would recommend that you fit the 46 tooth rear and see how that goes as it should make a fair bit of difference. If you want a bit more then get a 16 tooth front sprocket. You would probably need to shorten your chain by taking a couple of links out of it, you can either buy a chain breaker set or use a dremel, hammer and a nail.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Spro...item58ac34e1be

As for the exhaust I don't think that the £300 DEP exhaust system is really worth it for the minor performance you would gain from it. CMPO sells some much cheaper cans/silencers which just slip on to your down pipe.

http://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonl..._EXHSIL027.php

If you get one you will need this adapter as well.

http://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonl...HSTRDCRS01.php
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

3. #3 Re: Sinnis Apache gearing? 
    C-Moto Noob
    The default on the disc brake (rear) models of Sinnis Apache and Pulse Adrenaline is 51 on the rear, the old drum brake models used to run 48s. Quite why the difference I'm not sure.

I'd pondered a 17t, it would be a much easier fix and I'd give it a shot in a heartbeat is they were easily available. Alternately if I could find a ~48t 4 bolt rear, I could run that with the 16t and not have to adjust the chain hugely.

My plan was to stretch out the gearing, losing a chunk of torque, then swap the end can and rejet to boost it back to normal.

I'm surprised brands like Sinnis sell the bikes as having a 70mph top speed, to get anywhere near there I've got to redline it through 4th just to have any pull left in 5th.

4. #4 Re: Sinnis Apache gearing? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    My sinnis vista is the same. 60 seems tops for me. I have though just fitted a 110 jet and gone for a run today. It makes a considerable difference but I may have jumped abit too far. I fitted a k&m filter and I'm in two minds to get a different exhaust. I also have a 16 tooth there to try myself. I'm not after break neck acceleration either I'd just like to have a 5th gear that isn't just a Rev lowerer lol

5. #5 Re: Sinnis Apache gearing? 
    C-Moto Guru
    You can get a 46 tooth sprocket here

http://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonl..._RSPK42846.php

I think that the chain adjusters would be able to take up the extra slack caused by the smaller sprocket. If you need a smaller chain I have found that it is much cheaper and easier to just buy a new smaller chain than to buy the equipment required to shorten the chain. New chains are about £10 on eBay, just count the number of links on your current chain and buy a new one with 2 less links.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.