Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 New Derbi engines for dual-sport and ATV 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    New motorcycle outlet just opened near our works. Sells such things as Derbi, Husabergs, KTM's, Moto Guzzi and MV Agusta (the F4 model is only US$28.000 ideal for these cash-strapped times...).
    They're very proud of the great new engines fitted to the new Derbis, the Senda Baja 125R cross and the supermoto Senda 125 SM. Here's a picture of it, does it ring any bells?:

Yes folks, its our old friend the LIFAN 156FMI:

We were then drawn towards another familiar power plant in the Derbi DXR 250 ATV, and, yes there it was complete with chromed engine covers(!) the usual 250 engine the Chinese fit on most of their small cruisers, the LIFAN 253FMM-C:

Of course the mouth-breathing salesman tried to deny it all, genuine Honda engines!, he said, Yeah mate, whatever.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

You should never, ever question a salesman Why would he lie? BTW, is the enduro a Shineray?! That would be an interesting product!!

3. #3 Hey 
    Master of Thump
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    You should never, ever question a salesman Why would he lie? BTW, is the enduro a Shineray?! That would be an interesting product!!
    -----------------

Salesmen are like Lawyers , if there lips are moving they are lieing . That's fact .

Genuine Honda motors are $2,000 .....................Lifan ? , not so much ...

Snortin

4. #4 Jawa Motorcycles 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Looks as if yet another old-established (since 1929) European manufacturer has gone Chinese...the engine at least:

Recognise this horizontal single in the Jawa 50?:

This OHC vertical single in this 125?:

The twin cylinder with chromed cases in this 250?:

Incredibly they're still making their old twin cylinder two strokes as well. This is the 350:

And a range of bikes using the BMW F650ST engine:

What's surprising is that this old Euro maker is now using knock-off Honda engines when in the mid-50's they sold Honda the license to make their ingenious semi-automatic clutch. Honda then went on to fit it in over 50 million Cubs...Not forgetting the fact that they successfully raced their own V4 cylinder disc-valved, water-cooled two-stroke well before Suzuki and others had the same idea:

web site: http://www.jawa.eu/moto_main.htm?lang=en
    Last edited by forchetto; 03-15-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Forchetto,

Thanks for the info! I have to admit I know very little about the history of motorcycling in Europe although I know it's prolific. In fact, I has always wondered who developed the semi-automatic clutch but always figured it was Honda...

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    In fact, I has always wondered who developed the semi-automatic clutch but always figured it was Honda...
    CC
    In September 1959 Jawa took out a Patent for a new automatic clutch for motorcycles. This clutch design aroused interest around the world and Honda who were then primarily producing small lightweight machines entered into negotiations with Jawa and agreed a license agreement. The Honda 50 cc step-throughs and subsequent 70 cc and 90 cc Cub models, are still manufactured today, sometimes in 125 cc capacities by the Chinese, (like my Zongshen ZS125-43 which still has that clutch!) and are now the worlds largest model of two-wheeled motorcycle sold. Honda's current prosperity owes much to this Jawa design.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM110GY

Nice research, Forchetto. It's interesting how these manufacturers are coming back via China. All the negative stuff about China will start to turn into second looks--Qlink's use of the Qingqi motard and enduro in the US is an example of this.

To me, the 2-stroke 350 enduro slightly resembles Enfield's bikes, in that iconic kind of way. It looks like something someone would ride throughout Europe for a few months, just as the Enfield is ridden throug India by western tourists.