Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 TMEC200 or "new" Bashan 250cc Enduro 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey All I just posted this over at the Dual Sport enduro category on China Riders, But thought I would put it here too in case someone else with some in sight is able to help me over here!

Hello All! This is my first post on the forums. I do not currently own a Chinese motorcycle, but have been considering it for a few reasons, and would appreciate any insight that all of you may have for me.

To start, I drive a motorcycle every day, and do not own a car. I am driving a Suzuki Boulevard C50 for now, and I love it. I however am interested in venturing into the world of dual sport, and most particularly, off road riding. I do not wish to give up the boulevard to do so, and do not have funds to get a second hand japenese bike around here very easily that is not somebody elses problem as of now.
    I am far from afraid of maintenance, and I am just looking for something to drive on mellow off road trails here in Utah to familiarize myself with what it is like in the dirt again. I want to be able to drive the bike on frontage roads and back highways to be able to get to the many trails we have here in Utah without having to tow it around, so I need something with enough pep to keep up in mellow non-freeway traffic.

I am very interested in the large displacement options like the xy400gy and the JH600, but they simply do not seem available at this time. I know that Pitster Pro who is about 30 miles south of my house, used to rebrand an xy400gy as an LXT400 Pitster Pro, and have not had a chance to ask them why they do not carry it anymore, however I know this is not an option they are offering anymore. As for the JH600 I cant seem to find any mention of it in the US through the proper channels and as such seems like an option I should forget about for a few years maybe.

Here are the three options that are available to me locally.

The First is the TMEC 200, available locally from XTM motorsports, who is 30 miles to the North of me, or so. I have found a decent bit of information here on this bike as well as on MCM. Here it is listed on their site:

http://xtmmotorsports.com/TMEC200%20200cc%20Enduro%20Motorcycle%20Dual%20Spo rt

They have it listed at $2,100 on the site, but I have seen them advertise in local classifieds like craigslist and KSL for 1,699 as late as a week or two ago, so I am sure I can get it for 1,699.

The second one I am having a hard time finding much information about, though there is some mention of it on MCM recently. They are referring to it there as the BS200gy and BS250gy.

The version available locally from a company called Any and All Powersports a bit closer to my house is simply listed as a Basahn 250cc Enduro. It appears to have a typical OHV 223cc motor. Here is the local listing for it at $1,799:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=29613310&cat=469&lpid=&search =bashan&ad_cid=1

The third I am not considering as hevily because the price (albeit the quality most likely as well) is higher and is approaching a budget that with some patience I could find a quality second hand japenese bike for.
    It is the Piter Pro LXR 250F, which on the site does not yet have a price, but I have found it around for the mid 2,000s new. Here is the link to the Pitster Pro Page:

http://www.pitsterpro.com/bike/overview/id/66

My questions are what bike would you be considering with the TMEC 200 at 1,699, and the Bahsan 250 at 1,799? Does anyone have any more info for the Bashan or are you able to tell anything from the pictures in the listing? At only 100 more if the quality is similar it seems good to have the bit of extra power considering I am not a small guy. Like I said if the pitster is in the mid 2s I would probably be better off being patient and staying on top of the used japenese market around here.

What are your guys thoughts and opinions on the matter?

2. #2 Re: TMEC200 or "new" Bashan 250cc Enduro 
    C-Moto Noob
    I was going to go get picture of the TMEC200 and the Bashan 250 today, but it is raining quite hard so I decided to stay in and clean.

If they will let me get some pictures of the samples I will do my best to get pictures of all the important stuff and post them here!

Let me know if there is something you would like me to photograph in particular while I am there that might help you guys help me figure it out!

3. #3 Re: TMEC200 or "new" Bashan 250cc Enduro 
    I answered you on chinariders, but noticed you posted here as well. I have put over 10k miles in the past 17 months of ownership of my '09 TMEC commuting daily, year round. There are issues with it, but I did buy it used (for instance, when I bought it, the speedo cable had already broken, and I could never get it figured out once I got a new cable. Over time, the front 4 engine mounts have cracked, and the engine is welded directly to the frame now.

I would not hesitate to get a new one, but that is because I have gotten to know TMEC's distributor, Excalibur Motorsports, quite well, and I can get a pretty killer deal on a new one. But, I have to say, the Bashan looks good. Personally, I like the 17" f/r wheels/street tire setup since, ironically, there is not too much mellow 2 wheeling one can do around Yuma thanks to the beach-like sand (one needs a serious 2-wheeler to enjoy it, but most people opt for 4 wheels). Bashan does not offer motard tire options. But you are not planning to street ride...

4. #4 Re: TMEC200 or "new" Bashan 250cc Enduro 
    C-Moto Senior
    Could you have bought new motor mounts for your TMEC?

5. #5 Re: TMEC200 or "new" Bashan 250cc Enduro 
    They were kind of ruined on both the frame and the engine. If I knew what I was doing, my guess is yes, as far as having new mounts engineered and welded on; my friend did the welding, but he is not a motorcycle mechanic. Keep in mind, this bike was ridden 33 miles a day pushing 55 to 60 mph a lot of the ride. Once I gave up on the 40 tooth rear sprocket which seemed to eat through chains (it was made out of an alloy, and made for racing, as opposed to thick steel), and did not want to track a 48 tooth one down from UK, it was running all out at 55 to 60 thanks to the 56 tooth sprocket. This is probably much more than what the bike was intended for.

For your intended purpose, I doubt the bike will be abused, and you will be traveling at much lower sustained speeds.

6. #6 Re: TMEC200 or "new" Bashan 250cc Enduro 
    Taking a Chinese dual sport on the freeway is suicidal.
    If you're in Utah then finding a used KLR650 which would be what you would want would require you go to Colorado to find one.

7. #7 Re: TMEC200 or "new" Bashan 250cc Enduro 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Taking a Chinese dual sport on the freeway is suicidal.
    If you're in Utah then finding a used KLR650 which would be what you would want would require you go to Colorado to find one.
    He's on the big island of Hawaii, unless he moved recently?

8. #8 Re: TMEC200 or "new" Bashan 250cc Enduro 
    C-Moto Senior
    Still on the big island. ,No freeways here. Main highways are 50-55mph, and most of my riding would be back and forth to Hilo, which is about 12 miles each way, plus any running around there. So, maybe, 8 miles tops of highway riding at 50-55. I had a 2005 KLR650 for about 15,000 miles while still living near Seattle/Tacoma. Great bike. Actually a bit of overkill for me now. There are some VERY nasty dirt and gravel roads here, that are hard on cars and such. A dual sport would be fun on them. And, if the highway gets plugged, I have a few routes using these nasty roads that could get me home. I would also just take these routes for fun.

9. #9 Re: TMEC200 or "new" Bashan 250cc Enduro 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    He's on the big island of Hawaii, unless he moved recently?
    Last time I checked salt lake city is in Utah

10. #10 Re: TMEC200 or "new" Bashan 250cc Enduro 
    C-Moto Senior
    Aw, shucks. That's me for ya. I assumed you guys were talking about me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast