Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    Actually it's true the <49 cc blue plated scoots are a decent option, especially since u can buy a 125cc and register it as if it was <49 cc, but I feel bicycles lanes is the most accident prone place in SH.. Feels safer among the cars, they make crazy stupid moves, but much less often than bicycles or electric bikes, which are the real plague here IMO.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

2. #12 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the translation bikerdoc! I actually have family in Yunnan and am trying to get into motorcycling there but it seems the riding environment in Kunming and its surroundings are quite hostile.

Quote Originally Posted by Hok View Post
    MANY THANKS JEFF! can you make a Hu C? but I think it would just be every road inside Outer Ring would be restricted right?http://club.m.autohome.com.cn/bbs/th...appinstalled=0
    No problem! Blue or yellow C? Their restricted zones are a little different. Doesn't exactly follow the outer ring either (Blue C is everything within the Inner Ring in Puxi).

My own thoughts really went back and forth on this one... I just bought a bike to ride from my bar and back to my home... (I don't drink, seriously) but I was thinking of going out for some cruises to places like WUZhen and using the expressways would be great. But after seeing how people drive here and thier attitude towards safety I think its better no bikes get on expressways... I think many many people have to die in China before the locals understand the concept of true safety. Their lane changing behaviour (not shoulder checking and not even looking as if to say if I can't see it there is nothing there) is so dangerous and yet the driving schools don't even teach this...
    I'm interested in making a trip to Wuzhen soon as well. If you're interested we can get some route planning going on and maybe ride together.

A friend of mine got caught and fined only 50 RMB - Zero point for having a Waidi plate on his 125cc. U can talk ur way out of the maximum 200 RMB fine.

I thought 沪C was a good investment for a while but I don't think so anymore, as it's 25-30000 RMB and has no perk against almost free Waidi plates, maybe a bit more tolerance in the inner ring, very arbitrarily...
    Classic TIC. Officially the fine is 200 RMB, 3 points, but with a good attitude towards the cops and sometimes a Shanghainese riding buddy, often times you will be let off with a 'friendly warning'.
    As for waidi plates, I pack a lot of gear on my waidi bike (panniers, topbox, tankbag) and always wear my backpack, so if you courteously stop for the 5-o and explain to them that you're on a motorcycle trip and are just passing by, they will often direct you towards the Outer Ring and then let you go with no penalty.
    Benelli BJ600GS (Shanghai)
    Honda CB500X (Vancouver)

3. #13 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbai996 View Post
    No problem! Blue or yellow C? Their restricted zones are a little different. Doesn't exactly follow the outer ring either (Blue C is everything within the Inner Ring in Puxi).

I'm interested in making a trip to Wuzhen soon as well. If you're interested we can get some route planning going on and maybe ride together.
    Wait the blue Plate Hu C has more privileges? I just bought a yellow Hu C 22K RMB... I thought all Hu C are just outer ring plates...

Thing with WaiDi plates is that even gas stations refuse to refill you if you have one on your bike... with HuC they will just let you gas up.

Yes I am still waiting for my bike though. I will post on other topic for a Wuzhen trip!

4. #14 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Hok View Post
    Wait the blue Plate Hu C has more privileges? I just bought a yellow Hu C 22K RMB... I thought all Hu C are just outer ring plates...
    There's definitely a difference. I found a Yellow C plate restriction on the internet :

http://attachments.motorfans.com.cn/...EdYf2V3213.jpg
    行驶范围:全天禁止进入杨浦、虹口、闸北、普陀、长宁、徐汇、卢湾、黄浦、静安以及浦东新区的小陆家嘴、花 木行政中心、竹园商贸三个区域内的道路。小陆家嘴地区:由黄浦江边——浦东南路——东昌路至黄浦江边所构成 的范围内(不含上述道路);花木行政中心地区:由杨高路——花木路——锦绣路民生路——杨高路所构成的范围 内(不含上述道路);竹园商贸地区:由潍坊路——东方路——浦电路——源深路——潍坊路所构成的范围内(不 含上述道路)。--凭什么!!!

According to the above the Hu C yellow plate restrictions are not done by outer ring but by district. You can't enter Hongkou, Zhabei, Putuo, Changning, Xuhui, Huangpu, Jing'an, and a few areas in Pudong (police there couldn't care less however).

So I suppose the only advantage of the Hu C is that you can gas up and you won't have your bike taken when riding in a restricted zone whereas waidi bikes are sometimes 'deported' back to its place of registration (at the drivers expense).

What bike did you get?
    Honda CB500X (Vancouver)

5. #15 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    C-Moto Regular
    That picture is better news than I thought. I thought it was all areas inside the Outer ring.

So is blue Hu C plates only for small CC mopeds?

I was going to get my Diavel at the end of this month, but I test drove the 2015 version in Europe and I was hooked... Because I kept stalling the 2014 version and I thought it was my fault, but it seems to be a common occurrence in the 2014. I like the new light and all lower torque band... But they still don't know when the 2015s will be in China...

6. #16 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Nominally it's for <50cc bikes but I've owned a 125cc Sachs MadAss that was blue plated. It just says 50cc on the vehicle license. Mostly here in Shanghai though people put them on small scooters, underbones, or light motorcycles. The catch is you need a Shanghai hukou that is not located in the restricted zones.

That's awesome by the way. Hope it'll be soon. Let me know when you'll be ready to plan a ride or something of the sort :)

Cheers!
    Honda CB500X (Vancouver)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12