Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Looking to buy a CJ750 with vintage plate 
    Supermoto
    Nei hau,
    I'm looking to buy an unrestored (not pretty)....CJ750 with vintage or antique plate and papers. It needs to be 15 yrs old or older...so registered as a 2000 or older bike. Apparently Canada customs needs them to be at least 15 yrs old (registered) to import.....unless someone on here knows differently.? Physical appearance is not really important to me as it's easy to paint. Non-running would even be an option as long as it's not seized ; as I do my own work. Thanks for consideration and just message me on here and we can exchange emails, etc.. I'm living about an hour oustside of Shanghai in Wujiang District.

2. #2 Re: Looking to buy a CJ750 with vintage plate 
    contact Mr.Wang, Suzhou
    szmotor@126.com

3. #3 Re: Looking to buy a CJ750 with vintage plate 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hey fiddyduke

From one Canadian to another ... be very careful. Recently, Canada Customs (as well as a couple of USA ports) have been selectively seizing and crushing CJ750s coming from China for a couple of reasons ...

1) a lot of the CJ shops (especially in Beijing) were sending them with fake documents to sneak in under the "vintage" rule. Customs has clued into this, after a few of the many cheated customers complained. You can read more about it on other motorcycling forums; and,
    2) many CJs were far from "original", which is a requirement for importation under the "vintage" rule (e.g., engine swaps, many non-original parts, etc).

Canadian MC forums also have some active threads on the Registrar of Imported Vehicles' (RIV) desire to change the 15 year Canada rule to 25 years and, as a result, RIV & Customs are being quite strict on vehicles falling between the 15 & 25 year rule. Apparently, too many 15-25 year old bikes are coming from the USA under the "collector" rule, thereby evading emissions & safety requirements.

Also, in China, there is no such thing as a "vintage" or "collector" plate, as you would find back home. Technically, in China, once a bike reaches 11 years, it MUST be destroyed. As well, technically, a CJ cannot be legally exported without an export license - but none of the shops have them. In fact, only a few shops even have a business license, but that is another story.

Inside China, you should be able to get a junker CJ (although running) for a few thousand rmb, at most, but it will be around $1,000 (US) to ship, plus port charges & taxes.

Alternately, I've seen a few junkers advertised in Canada/USA for around $1,000 - $2,000. Might be easier.

Good luck!