Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Recomendation for Dual-sport Bike for Trip from China to Europe 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello. I'm planning to fly into China (Macau) next week with my wife, to buy a motorbike and drive it across the border into Kyrgyzstan, then back home to Hungary.

I posted a previous thread here: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-Budapest-trip

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bike?

Checklist:

- dual-sport/trail bike/ semi-offroad bike
    - at least 18" wheels.. better if the front is 21"
    - 125cc+ with FI or 180cc+ with carb (very high mountain passes)
    - engine parts available outside of China, the rest can be fixed with bodging/welding/using parts from other bikes
    - Less than $1000 USD, if possible

We'll probably be about 150kg (75 + 55 + 20kg luggage).

Is Guangzhou a good place to buy a bike? Anyone living there that could give us a hand?

Many Thanks

David

2. #2 Re: Recomendation for Dual-sport Bike for Trip from China to Europe 
    $1000 is REALLY low budget. The most decent choice within budget is big bored YBR clone only. https://translate.google.com/transla...381%26page%3D1 Uses the SAME Keihin slide carb found on high altitude local bike.
    ---
    Guangzhou is a BAD place for bike.

3. #3 Re: Recomendation for Dual-sport Bike for Trip from China to Europe 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I wish you the best of luck at the Baccarat tables in Macau ... to increase that budget.

4. #4 Re: Recomendation for Dual-sport Bike for Trip from China to Europe 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Is a trail bike out of my price range? We could stretch a little. Otherwise that bike would certainly do.

Does buying a used bike make any sense? Or are prices quite high on used bikes?

I guess I could buy a copy of the YBR125G, then fit a big bore kit from taobao? Are there FI kits on there too? Could someone check for me? :-) Would be great not to have to mess with the jets all the time.

We fly to Macau, enter China, then would like to get a bike as soon as we could. Is there a district in Guangzhou with lots of bike shops?

How are driving conditions in China? Is it possible to cruise on secondary roads at 70kph? What is the reality of long-distance driving on a small bike?

5. #5 Re: Recomendation for Dual-sport Bike for Trip from China to Europe 
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzweig View Post
    Is a trail bike out of my price range? We could stretch a little. Otherwise that bike would certainly do.

I guess I could buy a copy of the YBR125G, then fit a big bore kit from taobao? Are there FI kits on there too? Could someone check for me? :-) Would be great not to have to mess with the jets all the time.

We fly to Macau, enter China, then would like to get a bike as soon as we could. Is there a district in Guangzhou with lots of bike shops?

How are driving conditions in China? Is it possible to cruise on secondary roads at 70kph? What is the reality of long-distance driving on a small bike?

Hi as I said before the YBR G is a good bet yes it's a bit down on power for 2 people with gear, up hills ! Would be great if you could get and fit a big bore kit to add say 4 hp but only if you can get it set up correct in china ! As to the roads you need to read the RR from Buck & Amy called the The great ride in a China !! This will give you a good insight into what you can expect in china .
    It all depends on what road works you hit !! So you can have at one point very nice roads and yes 70 km should be ok then next you will have your worse roads you can imagine . As said Guangzhou bad city for bikes so not many shops around so head out the city to find/buy a bike

As to riding on a small CC bike on a long ride I did say I was about to start a 15.000 km trip on a YBR G but I am one up with not much gear to carry max with me 110 kg so give me 12 weeks and I can report back on that question !!
    Just one more point of view with small cc bike on long rides it Just take a bit longer to do
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #6 Re: Recomendation for Dual-sport Bike for Trip from China to Europe 
    You could get a new 125cc-150cc bike trail(ish) for about $1200-$1400. A real YBR125G is your best bet, or maybe a factory Jialing JH125 or 150.

Buying a 2nd hand bike does make sense. Easier these days as everything for sale is listed online, but you'll need local help. Bikes depreciate quickly from new, a third cheaper after a year depending on brand, could be an economic solution to at least get a bigger capacity or better bike.

I don't know if I'd want to mess around reboring and trying to retrofit EFI. Most Chinese mechanics can only do bodge fixes and change oil. Even if you could find a capable mechanic it would take days of frustration and language difficulties ordering parts online and then only maybe. Also get a real Yamaha if you can, it would be so much more reliable.

I know that Guangzhou has some anti-motorcycle jihad mental disorder. I also think you'd be better off buying anywhere else. Jiangsu, Hebei, Chongqing and Shandong seem fairly liberal toward bikes, probably lots of other places too. Buy in a 2nd or 3rd tier city as registrations are much cheaper. Too small a place not enough choice, too big too much expense and restrictions.

The problem with China is the maps don't tell you that much. Some roads look OK in theory, in reality they are dirt covered truck pounded nightmares. Other roads are beautiful, but it's just impossible to know until you get there. Sometime you could make good progress, other days nearly nothing. Lots of hunting for hotels that don't stink at sunset covered in dirt.

7. #7 Re: Recomendation for Dual-sport Bike for Trip from China to Europe 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the info!

I found a 180cc big bore kit on taobao for 360 CNY. No need to rebore, just bolt on a new cylinder/fit new piston. Maybe 180 is a bit too far.. maybe 150-160 is about right. Don't think the kits come with a jet though, that's another hassle. EFI.. yeah, probably a bit of a long shot :-)

Is the Yamaha really that much better? I'm a competent mechanic, but won't be carrying tools.

Jialing JH125. Looks like the 80s XL125, my first bike.

We fly in Macau, but might need to go to Hong Kong for the visa, trying to figure that out. Any suggestions for a attractive, or at least inexpensive town/city to stay nearby for some days while we get the bike and get set up for the trip? Really don't have much idea how China works. Don't speak any Mandarin unfortunately.

8. #8 Re: Recomendation for Dual-sport Bike for Trip from China to Europe 
    Thanks for the info!

I found a 180cc big bore kit on taobao for 360 CNY...
    139cc kit is the ONLY one that direct fits , other needs bigger bottom hole. Some stock Jianshe is 139 . http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_612660.htm
    Northern Zhongshan/ Jiangmen is a good place for buying bikes.

9. #9 Re: Recomendation for Dual-sport Bike for Trip from China to Europe 
    Thanks for the info!

I found a 180cc big bore kit on taobao for 360 CNY. No need to rebore, just bolt on a new cylinder/fit new piston. Maybe 180 is a bit too far.. maybe 150-160 is about right. Don't think the kits come with a jet though, that's another hassle. EFI.. yeah, probably a bit of a long shot :-)

Is the Yamaha really that much better? I'm a competent mechanic, but won't be carrying tools.

Jialing JH125. Looks like the 80s XL125, my first bike.

We fly in Macau, but might need to go to Hong Kong for the visa, trying to figure that out. Any suggestions for a attractive, or at least inexpensive town/city to stay nearby for some days while we get the bike and get set up for the trip? Really don't have much idea how China works. Don't speak any Mandarin unfortunately.

If you can fly into HK and the you can get to Hainan no need visa ! You can get a VOA but check to see if your home country in on the list for VOA first ! but must fly out of HK , now the visa you get for Hainan is valid for the mainland as well but only
    For 15 days . In Hainan you have many choices for bike shops well that my 2 cents

Good luck
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

10. #10 Re: Recomendation for Dual-sport Bike for Trip from China to Europe 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    This doesn't look bad: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=37614288758

And the Shineray equivilent? http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=37352166966

It's a bit confusing. What brands should I be looking for? Jialing, Shineray, Zongshen.. I have seen these names before. Just not enough time now to become an expert on everything that's on offer in China.
    Last edited by davidzweig; 05-05-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast