Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Tubes for F800GS, Where? 
    C-Moto Noob
    I'm presently riding my F800GS from Singapore to Ireland, and am enjoying riding in Yunnan now. I had some tyre trouble in Laos, and had to use my spare tubes.

Can anyone advise where I can source tubes in Chengdu?
    I'm looking for:

150/70 17"
    90/90 21"

Thanks

2. #2 Re: Tubes for F800GS, Where? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Can't comment on Chengdu as not located there...
    but can buy from various taobao sellers... which I have pasted links to below... also added the search parameters for the front tyre due to the differences etc.

150/70-17
    Taobao 1
    Taobao 2

90/90-21
    Taobao 1
    Taobao 2
    Taobao 3
    Taobao search

3. #3 Re: Tubes for F800GS, Where? 
    Also OP< nice of you to drop on by, so welcome to MCM. would be nice to more about your trip/journey etc and how you have travelled and managed to get yourself and more importantly your Bemmer into PRC etc?

C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Bikerdoc,
    That helps.

You can read more about the journey and the project at http://www.doherty.net.au/sgir

It's great to be riding in PRC after a lot of planning and paperwork. I'm an Australian, living in Singapore so getting myself into China wasn't that difficult, a 60 day tourist visa.
    The bike/license, etc, was a bit more challenging and I'm using a guide company who made the arrangements with the relevant authorities. The route is a bit fixed, and I need to meet the guide each night, but so far it's been not too restrictive.

5. #5 Re: Tubes for F800GS, Where? 
    Gidday, I'm just now reading your blog which is of interest. You might like to start a thread here too for the China section of your trip to keep those of here informed of your folks ride, as well as adding to the invaluable resource for riding in and across Chi!na. You might be interested in taking a little time when you have some available to check out Buck and Amy's the great ride of Ch!na experiences.

6. #6 Re: Tubes for F800GS, Where? 
    Just wondering if there's any reason you didn't go with converting the 800GS's rims to tubeless? I have a XVS1100 (Dragrstar) in among my 'fleet' LOL, with wire wheels running tubed tyres and decided after one rear puncture that it was way easier/simpler to deal with tubeless tyre punctures a majority of the time, with plug/slime kits and the like, so I had the rims on the Dragstar converted to tubeless and have been running them that way (~4yrs) ever since. AFAIK most motorcycle tyre repair shops in PRC also use plugs and the derivatives for a majority of MC puncture repairs given that tubeless tyres are more common here in PRC. IMO tubeless punctures are easier to deal with when riding in PRC. It also makes hunting down tubes somewhat redundant too. One can always carry a tube though and simply remove the tubeless valve stem and insert a tube into a tubeless tyre if one is faced with a worst case scenario.

I appreciate that there are various views when it comes to tubeless vz a vz tubed tyres on MC's especially dual sports or ADV bikes etc., thought my XT1200Z from OZ runs tubeless rims as OEM and it's not seen as a handicap or hinderance in the big dirt bikes performance, and saying that, I would rather face a puncture repair on a tubeless tyre than a tubed tyre. I've used plugs on both MC's and my car in PRC and the experience is way better...

YMMV.

Locating a suitable replacement tube for the 800GS in some locations might prove problematic though seemingly not impossible given that the Beemers enjoy a wave of popularity here.

If you intend on hitting Zhejiang (specifically near Ningbo) then give us a shout, for a possible meet up/some place to stay etc.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 05-14-2014 at 02:42 AM.

7. #7 Re: Tubes for F800GS, Where? 
    Quote Originally Posted by laser2000 View Post
    I'm presently riding my F800GS from Singapore to Ireland, and am enjoying riding in Yunnan now. I had some tyre trouble in Laos, and had to use my spare tubes.

Can anyone advise where I can source tubes in Chengdu?
    I'm looking for:

150/70 17"
    90/90 21"

Thanks
    there s big motorcycle market on hgwy 105 just north of te 3rd ring rd

13548184561 call If you need any help in Chengdu

john

C-Moto Noob
    Thank you both for the great info.

In answer to the tube conversion, the primary reason I didn't convert it to tubeless was because running tubes I can run lower tyre pressure off-road.
    That said, the last 3 days have been great fun, pulling the rear tyre off every day... Got another bit of wire in the tyre, had a valve fail, and now a weird situation where I've fixed the flat, ride on it for a few hours, then it suddenly goes flat again. Pulled the tube out, in a water bath and no puncture to be found. This has happened three times now. So tubeless might be more fun! :-). Either way, I don't mind changing tubes too much, but this is wearing thin on me now. :-). In Shangrila today.