Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Glad to be here

1. #1 Glad to be here 
    So glad to find this site. Lots of great information here!

I picked up a 2007 Baja Phoenix 250 a few months ago and so far I'm very happy with it. I'm new to motorcycles so this is my first. I'm using it to commute to work. I get about 45 MPG. Not sure if that is good for this bike or not, but its better then the 15mpg of my truck, so i'm happy.

I've added saddlebags and a windshield. I plan to change the rear sprocket to a 30T when I get a chance. Hopefully that will help me get up a couple hills and improve the top speed, which is really only about 50 and then only on flat ground. Should I expect more power and better fuel mileage with this bike?

Unfortunately it started to leak a bit of oil so I'm tracking that down now. I am pretty sure it is the crankshaft seal on the left side but I'm waiting for a flywheel puller to get to it and check. Assuming it is I'll be back asking where to get a seal for it i'm sure. Anyway, here are some pics. I get lots of compliments on it anyway. :-)

ph250.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

2. #2 Re: Glad to be here 
    Most 233 twin is based from '94 Rebel (Domestic version in Japan).
    This http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cd250u-19...596/partslist/ model had the SAME "MC06E" engine. Buy genuine Honda parts IF u can't find from elsewhere.
    ---
    Save gas: Single carb (as in Night Hawk/ "export" Rebel) http://translate.google.com/translat...16909529_1.htm
    Rebel forum had more info about this topic.
    Last edited by humanbeing; 05-13-2014 at 09:42 AM.

3. #3 Re: Glad to be here 
    Yep, it's got an engine from a CA250 or CMX250 'Honda Rebel', similar to a CB250 engine. Your bike should be capable of about 70mph depending on how it's geared. I'd say keep the carb as it is, as obviously it's a little more powerful. Also you could try removing some of the heavier unnecessary parts if you want better acceleration or hill climbing.

You won't be able to climb hills better and have a better top speed. Bigger sprocket for better acceleration (hill climbing), and and smaller for higher top speed. Check that the bike doesn't get overfilled with oil, often happens with this engine if the oil is drained cold and doesn't get shoved around to help expel all the oil it leads to these busted seals, mine went under the magneto coil fairly easy fix, but a pain.

4. #4 Re: Glad to be here 
    Thank you both for the information! Very helpful!

ZMC888, yeah I'm sure I overfilled the oil. But I'm not sure how to avoid it. Its supposed to hold 1.6 US quarts according the the manual I found here: http://www.bajamotorsports.com/syste...efix_LUAH_.pdf

I warmed it up, drained it, filled it with about 1.6 quarts and it never came even close to the bottom of the stick. I idled it a bit then gave it a minute but still was so low I was afraid of doing damage so I kept filling until I got to about the top end of the stick (not screwed in, just setting on the top.) Maybe I was supposed to check it with the stick cap/stick screwed all the way in but I brought it back to the same level as when I bought it. Of course maybe he had it overfilled too. I did try to take a bit out after a day or two of riding to see if somehow it would stay higher on the stick but it seemed to be going down.

There was definately oil (and water - I drive in the rain) around the coil behind the left crankshaft cover and more oil (no water) behind the spacer plate that is behind the flywheel. I guess I'll see what the seal look like after I get the flywheel off. I'm hoping I ordered the right puller from ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281210807387...84.m1497.l2649

It looks right. I just don't want to damage any parts if I can help it.

Thanks again for the help. Once it's running again I'll see how it feels with the 30T sprocket just so I know, then maybe go above stock(came with 32t) and try that. I don't really care about speed since it's 45mph all the way to work, but I don't like having to drive 30 up the hills with traffic behind me.

5. #5 Re: Glad to be here 
    The Baja branded twin was manufactured by Hensim--research Hensim for parts and/or suggestions (I think Hensim closed down after getting fined and roasted by the EPA a few years back). I am not sure who else rebranded the bike besides Baja, but a couple other brands did, if I recall correctly.