Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
  1. #71 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Fingers crossed for your plates.

As for the oil, I read that its best not to use synthetic during running in but every rider has a different opinion so best not to discuss it much. I used fully mineral Motul 10w-40 and I changed it (and filter) at 50km, 150km, 500km and 1500km. After this is up to you what oil you use (mineral or synthetic). I used Yamalube on my round China trip cos it was only decent oil I could get. After the trip i used fully synthetic Motul v300 15w-50 few times and now I use semi-synthetic Motul 5100 15w-50 and IMHO its better (cheaper too).
    Two of my biker friends (one foreign, one chinese) recommended this shop for getting genuine imported oil. I have bought and used some oils, chain lubes etc. from them and it all looks/performs great.

2. #72 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    happy endings are best when the build up and anticipation are long and drawn out
    Last edited by zhu; 06-10-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: grammer!

3. #73 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    As for running in . Engines will produce a lot of power for a short time or middling power for a long time . Ybr is def in the middling category and imagine your Chinese girlfriend is not a 130kg bricklayer so don't lose to much sleep.

4. #74 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Kunming, When Not Drifting- Originally from DownUnder
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    As for running in . Engines will produce a lot of power for a short time or middling power for a long time . Ybr is def in the middling category and imagine your Chinese girlfriend is not a 130kg bricklayer so don't lose to much sleep.
    Hahaa gave me quite a chuckle there Zhu, yea you're right, she doesn't quite resemble your average beer-belly porting, fastfood-consuming tradie (don't get me wrong, I've done my fair share of work as a labourer, it's just that some of them lead a rather less than healthy lifestyle). Ok that's a relief, I was hoping to take Mrs Foxy out again into the country side again this weekend to climb ye olde mountain, glad to hear I don't have to cancel that. I'll take the back roads though, more scenic, constant variation in road condition and traffic so lots of gear changing.

ZMC888, Doc, I'm taking you very seriously on this plating issue. I will burn the house down to the ground to get this done. I spent a month driving around the badlands of Mongolia with an 'IDP' that I typed up myself after being detained and fined for driving illegally, and after the constant nervous stress from that I won't be heading out for several months on Chinese roads as anything less than fully legitimate. After the feedback this evening I called the guy who sold me the bike, several times, then messaged until he called me back. Seems he's out of town for a few days, but I told him I needed it urgently sorted as we're leaving very soon (actually not for a month still), and I'll be going down on Monday to sort the process. I have our contract, I know where he lives and works, I have his ID number, he isn't going anywhere. Besides, he seems an honest chap, or I wouldn't have taken the bike in the first place. Worst case scenario, he tries to screw me around, or the office won't register me after he's been registered, I give him back the bike, take my money and buy a new one from the Yamaha store. I don't expect it'll come to this.

Modron that link for the store is great, my thanks. I've been looking for a lot of what they have on offer there, and they seem to have top-quality to boot. Helmet visor cleaner, chain lube, oil, I think I'll hit them up. Granted it's not the cheapest, but I'm probably not going to have a chance for a journey like this again for a long time, so I'll spend the coin and get the top shelf stuff.
    Last edited by foxy88; 06-10-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Typos!

5. #75 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Kunming, When Not Drifting- Originally from DownUnder
    Btw Zhu since you're seeking spot-on English there, I'm going to be an a***hole and point out that 'grammer' is actually 'grammar'.. Besides that all reads very well

Doc forgot to mention but I'm taking your comments as an endorsement of the first option, with the rotating housing? If I'm wrong here, any chance you (or anyone else) has bought an amazing HID on Taobao you'd care to recommend? Sorry to be whiney but I'll put my hand up, I'm new to the game and I'd rather take advice from the pros..

6. #76 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hey foxy, This shop is not cheap I know but Im pretty sure all the things are imported and genuine.
    I dont know how long will be your trip but you probably cant take enough oil with you (since you have air cooled bike) so you will have to buy some on the way. Like I said earlier I always tried to use Yamalube cos its decent and its always available at Yamaha dealers around China and if its a Yamaha dealer then the oil should be genuine, hence my choice. You have to change it every 2000km so prolly every week. My advice is get a Autonavi app (if you have a smartphone). God, how much I wish I had it when I was traveling....I wasted a lot of time and energy riding around cities and towns looking for engine oil. Once you have autonavi just open nearby->car services-> others-> and type yamaha or motorcycle in search ............this will save you a lot of time

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678