Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Kunming, When Not Drifting- Originally from DownUnder
    After getting my licence a week ago I'm craving a chance to get off my electric scooter and onto something real. Not only that, but am planning on several months on the road come July, and want to break in my ride before then, as well as make all the necessary adjustments.

After looking at the options available, I'm settled on getting either the YBR125K (off-road version), or the 250.. this is where I need help. I went down to the only Yamaha dealer in Kunming on the weekend, down near Dianchi Lake, and had a look at what was on offer. There are quite a few YBR125 models, the latest and seemingly the most suited for a long journey over (probably) some rough roads is the 125K. It's an upgraded version of the original dual-sport YBR125G, and has a few improvements; http://www.jym.com.cn/Simplified/Pro...ra=48&meterb=3, including a larger rear tyre, fairing, kick-start, engine guard, luggage rack, etc.

I took a few rather crappy shots of their brochure which I've attached below, you can see the differences between the 125G, 125K and 250.

Was unable to test-drive but liked the look of the K.

The issue is, I will be travelling with my girlfriend, probably at quite high altitudes for a while. I weigh just under 80kg, she's a little under 60, and then there'll be the luggage of course. I'm really not sure whether a 125cc is capable of this, even one as reliable as a Yamaha. What's the consensus?

The dealer didn't have any 250's in stock, and claims there are none available in all of Yunnan until start of July, when they release the new model. This is an issue, as we're looking at leaving around mid-July. I got on the phone today to a dealer in Chengdu and he said he can get a 250 in, and have it sent down to Kunming. He also said he would have the newer model some time next month. From what I've read on MCM, both the 125 and 250 are good, even great, bikes; I would prefer the power of the larger engine, but the 125K seems to have a lot going for it in terms of off-roading.

So basically I need to call on the experience here to help make a decision. Do I sort out buying a 250 from another city such as Chengdu and having it sent down (on this, any recommendations for Chengdu dealers- the gentleman today seemed quite helpful, he's located at 成都雷力, 成都市武侯区西南摩托车批发市场B区2-12), in order to get the extra power and the fuel-injection which will be a big help higher up, and will a 250 be up to handling rougher road surfaces, or do I go ahead and get the 125K locally and look into rejetting the carb for altitude?

Any thoughts are very welcome. As far as price goes, the K was 10,800, was able to knock it down to 10k with some light bargaining, probably can do a bit better. The 250 seems like it will be in the 22k-24k range, but if I get the current model just before the latest one comes out I'm sure I can knock that down a little.

The dealer in Kunming was confident any bike I bought from them could be fully registered in my name in a day or two. I insisted on this as may be taking it out of the country for a spell, so want all the papers and rego in my own name.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

When I spoke to the dealer about dealing with altitude he didn't mention anything about rejetting but said that I needed to tweak the gold-valve part (see pink arrow and circle above) to achieve the right mixture of fuel and air being fed into the engine, any confirmation on this, and what the gold-valve is called? Also, the tyres are CST, Chengshen Tyres, which seem to have mixed reviews- what is better, and would they even be up to the task with a max. load of 175kg?

2. #2 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    In my opinion the YBR250 is the better bike, so it really comes down to price and convenience. Both bikes are underpowered, 15kw from the 250 and 7.5kw from the 125, I'd want the extra especially with two and luggage that 125 will struggle in the mountains, in fact the torque is king in this regard rather than power. From previous direct knowledge the only problem with the YBR250 is light corrosion especially on the exhaust system. Have you also counted out the humble Sundiro Honda CBF150? A little tad more powerful than the YBR125 and in my opinion a slightly better bike.

Some people will say the the YBR125K or 125G are a must for off-road work. However in my view an neutral riding position high ground clearance single cylinder is nearly equally capable it's just a question of modifying the bike for your needs or being less aggressive when the roads get tougher. YBR250 needs hand-guards, sump guard, luggage rack and dual-sport tires if you are really going to ask it to do off road touring. In fact previous riders who have ridden it back to Europe said just wack on a dual sport front tire on it for some extra bite as front end low side scrub type accidents are so common on poor quality surfaces out west. With a regular rear road tire and you still get some well mannered on road handling.

3. #3 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I completely agree with ZMC888

I've owned all 3 of the mentioned bikes (forgot that I also had a Honda CBF150).

The YBR125 is a great little bike, very reliable, and almost bulletproof. I had both the G ("dirt") and the K ("street") models. They are the exact same bike, with the G having the "off road" options of more aggressive tires, fork socks, wind protectors for the hand, luggage rack, a raised front fender, and a kick starter (which is a very nice thing to have). I have not seen the new YBG125GK yet.

The YBR250 is a better bike for 2-up, and it is also almost bulletproof. One key difference, aside from size and power, is that the 250 has EFI. And as ZMC notes, all that would be needed is to swap out the tires, and add a luggage rack. Both the 125 & the 250 would need "proper" hand guards, in my opinion (the 125G's hand guards are just flimsy plasitc that bends easily and is mounted only on one end).

The Honda CBF150 would be my choice over the YBR125 because it feels just a little bit bigger and stronger. But the Honda is a street bike, that would also require a few add-ons. I seem to recall that the CBF150 is a few thousand rmb more expensive.

If money was no object, I would select the bikes in the following order:

1) YBR250
    2) CBF150
    3) YBR125

Still, the YBR125 is a fantastic bike - so easy to ride, reliable, proven, and it will get you around the world with minimal costs in fuel and repairs.

By the way, when you head towards high mountain passes in China, you will often see guys on the side of the road that will rejet your carb at a very low cost. TIC and where there is a need, there is always someone willing to make a few rmb. They handle all the well-known bikes, including the Yamaha and Hondas. And there will be another guy on the other side of the pass, to put you back to normal, again.

Good luck!

4. #4 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Hi Foxy

Due to leave Hainan next week on a NEW YBR GK to travel all the way to Thailand about 2000 KM one way , i picked the YBR G due to the reasons it has some off road design and capability built into the bike .
    In 6 weeks use from new i have done over 9000km on the roads of Hainan, on roads and off road as well at times i was up to 1300 meters and the roads in Hainan are very hilly, i am 80KG and my wife is 55kg , most of the time i rode solo and with just me on the bike the YBR done very well with the hills yes it is a bit under power and you will find it hard work with 2 up going up some hills , but the bike will do the job just takes a bit longer to get there lol. The CST tyres are very good on and of road and holds the road very well but the back will only last about 5000km with the front about 10000 km, i would suggest taking a spear back tyre with you as the back tyre size is a bit odd ball 90-90 18 ? the front is 3.00-18 .
    The YBR will sit at 80 km all day and will top out about 110km , brakes are ok but need to bed in and with 2 up both front and back brakes will have to be used hard to stop the YBR, and the cost to buy is a lot less then the 250cc . tank holds 13.5 L and will do well over 500km per tank should hit close to 600 km with some careful riding, i took the YBR off road a lot on Hainan as well it cope with all that i asked it to do, The only maintenance i have had to do is adjust the chain a few times oil the clutch cable and change the cushion rubber on the back hud and oil change every 2500 km , its a good all round give me one more week and i will be on my way so i can report back more on the YBR with me and about 40kg on the back .

thailand and hainan 2014 949.jpg

thailand and hainan 2014 1617.jpg

thailand and hainan 2014 1113.jpg

thailand and hainan 2014 1142.jpg
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    If you are really going to stick with the Yamaha brand then hold out for the newer model IMO. The difference might be a couple/several weeks between delivery. But, you might be able to secure an early pre-release model. As for buying from outside the province, that might work, but sometimes that can also prove a problem with the fapiao issued in another jurisdiction. Also, buying local means the dealer can assist with plating, but even so, you need to stay on top of this! The local PSB might say they can't plate in a foreign name, or even your Chinese name. Also you have to have something that ties your given Chinese name in with everything else. Basically a proven paper trail so to speak. Not all jurisdictions or Traffic PSB's can be bothered doing anything other than the usual daily routine, so anything that creates more work, is fobbed off, into the "too hard basket" or "can't do that - it's not possible" dept. Again if the dealer helps do the plating process you need to be prepared to micro-manage each step. Normal in PRC. BTW, even those with the best intentions everyone local will tell you what you want to hear, and then there are those with less than the best of intentions from your point of view.

I'd be more inclined to go for the YBR125... with the dual sport attributes, but then there are as stated the tradeoffs with weight carried, carbs vs EFI, displacement and HP etc. If you had the time, it might be worth investigating the possibility of swapping the 125cc engine for the 250cc from the road version. Not sure at all if it's feasible, and it's a wonder that the dual sport isn't manufactured with the bigger engine.

If you go with any bike, you may very well need to complete some upgrades on the bike. The YBR125G needs a better horn, better lights (go for HID's like Prince666) has done on his YBR125G. Better hand guards might be a consideration. Better seat support. The tyres by all accounts while ok, aren't so easy to obtain. Ping Prince666 a PM for the down low on the YBR125G.

If budget will allow, have you thought about other bikes...
    Jialing JH600... 2 or 3 wheeler
    KTM Duke 390 with ABS standard
    Suzuki GW250
    Loncin LX650 (has the 650 single BMW G650GS engine)
    Benelli/QJ BJ600GS-A (also known as BJ600GT) release is 27 May, but pre-release models already available. Search MCM for the relevant info.
    There are also legal imported bikes... International MC Brands
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 05-21-2014 at 02:44 AM.

6. #6 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Also have you checked out the bike market classifieds?

Shameless plug for my CF650TR for sale...

7. #7 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    My two cents worth. If you can afford it buy the YBR 250 rather than the 125. As has been mentioned it is not overly powerful but it has gobs of torque ( compared to a 125) and that is what you need to tour. The suspension is a bit shite imo but some preload spacers and oil in the forks would improve it , nothing to be done with the rear shock sadly .. with a rack and some dirty tyres it will go about anywhere..fit a gps tracker so you can find it again if it gets nicked. Don't ask how I know this.

8. #8 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I'd be more inclined to go for the YBR125... with the dual sport attributes, but then there are as stated the tradeoffs with weight carried, carbs vs EFI, displacement and HP etc. If you had the time, it might be worth investigating the possibility of swapping the 125cc engine for the 250cc from the road version. Not sure at all if it's feasible, and it's a wonder that the dual sport isn't manufactured with the bigger engine.
    Some great advice especially as buying outside of your local area will cause mega headaches, but some not so good here. Firstly a YBR125 is a stressed member engine and a YBR250 is not. Also the YBR 125 G and K are to my eye the exact same bike as the street version, just dressed with off-road parts making it a dual sport as far as I can see. The suspension travel and suspension looks the same, swingarm, brakes, engine. Why the hell would you need to do an engine swap? Just bolt on some dual sport bits as needed to a YBR250.

9. #9 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    a YBR125 is a stressed member engine
    No, it sits in the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    ... the YBR 125 G and K are to my eye the exact same bike as the street version, just dressed with off-road parts making it a dual sport as far as I can see.
    Yes, they are the exact same bike, although the G has some nice "off road" goodies that one would need to put on the street K version (including a tire swap). The newest KG version (which prince666 has) also has a sump guard and a mini-screen. The KG is a nice bike, but I've just heard that the Beijing dealer is totally firm on the 10,800 price. The YBR125 is carb'd (in Europe, it is EFI), but that can be good for China because every village mechanic can fix it.

If you can afford it, the YBR250 would be the way to go as a 2-up bike, IMHO, but the margin of comparison is slight. In some provinces, there are a lot of YBR250s around, so you might be able to purchase a nice used one for a reasonable price. And the YBR250 has a gigantic fuel tank for long distances.

EDIT: You know, another option is to teach your GF how to ride and get two YBR125s for the price of one 250. I've never liked a passenger, especially on a smallish bike.

10. #10 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    There is a dealer near you that may be able to get the new version of the Qingqi 250.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast