Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    No, it sits in the frame.

You know, another option is to teach your GF how to ride and get two YBR125s for the price of one 250. I've never liked a passenger, especially on a smallish bike.
    Good call. If it's possible since two bikes provides more options - just in case.

2. #12 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    No, it sits in the frame.
    ?

YBR125
    yamaha-ybr125-negra-ame.jpg
    ^Stressed member^
    YBR250

ybr250_02.jpg
    ^Sits in frame^

3. #13 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Apologies, my bad - too many bikes. I forgot the 125 was a diamond-style frame.

4. #14 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Some great advice especially as buying outside of your local area will cause mega headaches, but some not so good here. Firstly a YBR125 is a stressed member engine and a YBR250 is not. Also the YBR 125 G and K are to my eye the exact same bike as the street version, just dressed with off-road parts making it a dual sport as far as I can see. The suspension travel and suspension looks the same, swingarm, brakes, engine. Why the hell would you need to do an engine swap? Just bolt on some dual sport bits as needed to a YBR250.
    I must ask ?? what bits was not so good ??? ok ZMC888, like you i have a CF as well but the TR ...and i am just about to leave on a 10.000 KM ride so why am i not taking the TR ??? . i tell you because i don't think it will make it lol and because i don,t know what i am going to hit around the corner with Chinese roads so the YBR G will cope with what either i do find ??? as we all know but not sure if you do ???? some Chinese roads can be pretty messed up to say the lest and for over 8000KM in the last 6 weeks i have put this little girl through some hard shit and it has come out with my respects, sure 2 up with gear could be asking to much from the 125cc . But if Foxy wife can ride what a great idea to get 2 YBR and still have change if foxy decides to buy 1 YBR 250 ??? of maybe saying that is not so good ....
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #15 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    If Mrs foxy has some riding experience that would be awesome , but the highways of China laden with gear and trying to get on ... No place to learn

6. #16 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    as buying outside of your local area will cause mega headaches,
    What headaches ???? My Chinese DL is from Shandong my home address is from Shandong the chinese goverment things i live in shandong . so how is it i go all the way down south to Hainan and buy and plate a bike in 1 day with no headaches at all and i can't get much further out my local area can i ???? so please enlighten me please
    Better hand guards might be a consideration
    The OE hand guards are fine can't see you will find much better IMO
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #17 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    If Mrs foxy has some riding experience that would be awesome , but the highways of China laden with gear and trying to get on ... No place to learn

For sure, Mr Foxy could be laden with all the gear so Mrs Foxy can ride with no gear hehehheeh but china is not a place to learn how to ride, well not learn and live to see the sun rise the next day ....

8. #18 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Kunming, When Not Drifting- Originally from DownUnder
    Hey fellas,

Can't thank you guys enough for all this info, this is gold.

First, to clarify, the 125 I'm considering is the latest, dual-sport model, the YBR125KG, the same as prince's bike. As far as off-roading goes, this seems to be the best Jianshe Yamaha China has come out with so far.

@ZMC Thanks for those tips re. the 250- as much as I want to be spending a lot of time in the dirt, the reality is that in China most of the time will be on well paved, wide roads, so if I can set the bike up to handle a bit of both that would be ideal. To be honest, after looking fairly extensively through the information available on MCM and other places, I have narrowed my gaze to Yamaha, as the other options are many, time is limited, and YMH is known for it's reliability. I do love Honda bikes, having thrashed one in India for a year with no adverse affects except on the occasional stray goat, but for the moment I've got the blinkers on, and Yamaha is in the spotlight.

@LJH I knew the market forces were strong in the Middle Kingdom, but this even extends to rejetting mountain-bound motorbikes? All the merrier. Money is not of great concern, I probably won't have the chance to do a trip like this again for a while afterwards, but probably don't want to spend much more than 23k odd on the bike, as I will also have to fork out a bit on mods..
    You know, another option is to teach your GF how to ride and get two YBR125s for the price of one 250. I've never liked a passenger, especially on a smallish bike.
    This would be be the best situation, in a perfect world. Unfortunately this ain't that. While 'Mrs Foxy' has ridden a motorbike a little, I'm not willing to be responsible if anything should happen out in the big bad China because her experience is limited to <50km on a village Sanling I know what you mean though, a passenger doesn't make for the smoothest ride, however Mrs Foxy is an essential

@bikerdoc Your bike is a babe, probably a bit larger that what I was looking to start off with in China though, and maybe a bit more than I was looking to spend. Good luck with the sale though, hopefully you can find someone who appreciates it for what it is. Must have taken some work to get that in and legal, unless you picked it up here? Those upgrade tips are great, I'll probs need a little more help with specifics in the future, we'll get to that tho As far as engine swapping goes, due to time, knowledge and availability constraints that might be a bit too complex.. The local PSB will be registering my bike, in my name, come what may. They didn't want to give me a licence in the first place, 'too-hard basket', but I've discovered that sustained nagging can achieve wonders, and I won't be going anywhere unless I'm fully legal (a month in Mongolia with a hand-typed 'International Licence' caused me to lose enough sweat, don't want a repeat experience in the police state that is China!).

@Zhu I saw your post in the classified section, sorry to hear about the loss. It's no consolation, but I had a 5,000yuan ebike pinched after less than a month's use when I first arrived in China, so I'll be going all-out with security installments, regardless of which bike I buy.

@MJH The Qingqi 250 seems like a good ride, I've had quite a geeze at Pat's 'Beijing to Kunming- A Commute to Work' ride, but I think I'd like to stick with Japanese reliability this time. Cheers tho

@Prince I think ZMC was referring more to the fact of switching engines, rather than commenting on the quality of the YBR125 per se.. Your input is great, as I'm considering the exact same bike. From what you've posted, looks like it can really stand up to a lot. A question, will you be taking the missus along for the SEA ride, or just you, the bike, and luggage? As stated, ultimately Mrs Foxy will be riding on the back of Mr Foxy Esq., what's your opinion. I'd say we'll be taking the bike up to 4,000m at least, quite probably 5,000m, any thoughts? BTW good luck for the upcoming ride, sounds like a beauty. If you have the chance to put up an RR as you go that would be fantastic. Time permitting, will be making a similar trip after returning to Kunming from the China tour.

All in all, after considering the different opinions, I'm thinking like this- I'll go ahead and buy the YBR125KG in Kunming, soon. I know I can get it for 10,000, possibly a little less. I'll make the necessary adjustments, and use this for travel to Chengdu. The route will include, if everything goes to plan, some very rough riding, some very high riding, and certainly quite a lot of riding in total. I'm planning to go via northwest Yunnan into western Sichuan, along the big T border, so the 125 will definitely be put through the motions. Upon arrival in Chengdu, the latest model of the YBR250 will have been released. If we've found that the 125KG is really not up to the task, we'll sell and buy bigger before heading up into Qinghai etc.

I would go for the 250 straight off, and adjust it for the dirt, but it is not available now in Kunming, possibly not in Yunnan (bike market here seems rather limited), and won't be until just before I want to leave. It also seems like purchasing in a different jurisdiction could add unwanted mafan in terms of registration. Bureaucracy in China is already mafan to the maximum without seeking it out, and I'm reluctant to buy a bike I haven't seen yet, so I'd require a trip up to the north to check the bike before purchase, and then would need to have it shipped down; mafan, possible damage, extra costs, you name it.

What do ya reckon?

9. #19 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    Kunming, When Not Drifting- Originally from DownUnder
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    For sure, Mr Foxy could be laden with all the gear so Mrs Foxy can ride with no gear hehehheeh but china is not a place to learn how to ride, well not learn and live to see the sun rise the next day ....
    Mr Prince, I would dearly like Mrs Foxy to see the sunrise the next day and every day after that, so it looks like I'll have to be at the wheel. Damn

10. #20 Re: Urgent Help Needed- YBR125K or YBR250? 
    A question, will you be taking the missus along for the SEA ride, or just you, the bike, and luggage? As stated, ultimately Mrs Foxy will be riding on the back of Mr Foxy Esq., what's your opinion. I'd say we'll be taking the bike up to 4,000m at least, quite probably 5,000m, any thoughts? BTW good luck for the upcoming ride, sounds like a beauty. If you have the chance to put up an RR as you go that would be fantastic. Time permitting, will be making a similar trip after returning to Kunming from the China tour
    Hi Mr foxy
    no just me on the ride , i just like it that way lol with the YRB fit ...
    1.HID cost me fitted by the dealer 150 rmb
    2. new very loud horn dealer fitted free.
    3. gas shocks ( more easy to adjust ) cost 285 rmb for a pair
    4. Top box cost 120 rmb (ALDO) very good

thailand and hainan 2014 1258.jpg

thailand and hainan 2014 1260.jpg

Now with the question about 4000m or 5000m these are big numbers had mine up at 1400 m still ok but with these numbers you could be in a bit of s##t unless you re-jet

will try and post a RR for my trip and i am 78KG with about 55 KG of gear but can't say yet how it goes untill next week, will soon find out because i will be leaving Wuzhishan Hainan and i need to take the road out of town thats goes up to about 900 M, but have taken the wife on the back and she is 55KG need to pop down to 2nd gear at one point but what is good about the bike is that the revs dont drop much between gears untill 5th so you can open her up in low gears hit 6500 and nock up a gear and the bike still pulls well , you will find that you will use the gears alot but the engine is sweet and can take it .
    As i said before the bike will do the trip just take a little bit longer to do ??? and more gear changing then on a 250cc
    well good luck
    Last edited by prince666; 05-21-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast