Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 new to shanghai from Philadelphia PA. good to be here! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey guys!

My names Dave and i recently moved to shanghai back in october. Back home I have a 84' Harley Ironhead. Needless to say I miss it very much along with riding a motorcycle in general. I think I am going into withdraw here. I looked into getting a bike here in shanghai legally but it seems with my financial situation and the whole license plate thing and how difficult it is here to even get a drivers license that me riding is probably not going to happen. Then i started to look into maybe motocross or flat track racing or just riding in the back rodes. I read on this site that there may be some place up in Anting? I dont have a car so how do you guys get your bikes up there? Are there places you can rent storage and just take the subway up there and ride on a track or something? Im itching to ride because it was such a huge part of my life back in Philly. Can anyone give me any information on where i can ride legally or on some trails or a track of some sort? I get it that I probably cant ride on the road so any info on that or a place of storage or a place where cops dont care would be awesome!

Thanks guys!!! This site is such a good find.

Dave

2. #2 Re: new to shanghai from Philadelphia PA. good to be here! 
    Kunming, When Not Drifting- Originally from DownUnder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpollen54 View Post
    Hey guys!

My names Dave and i recently moved to shanghai back in october. Back home I have a 84' Harley Ironhead. Needless to say I miss it very much along with riding a motorcycle in general. I think I am going into withdraw here. I looked into getting a bike here in shanghai legally but it seems with my financial situation and the whole license plate thing and how difficult it is here to even get a drivers license that me riding is probably not going to happen. Then i started to look into maybe motocross or flat track racing or just riding in the back rodes. I read on this site that there may be some place up in Anting? I dont have a car so how do you guys get your bikes up there? Are there places you can rent storage and just take the subway up there and ride on a track or something? Im itching to ride because it was such a huge part of my life back in Philly. Can anyone give me any information on where i can ride legally or on some trails or a track of some sort? I get it that I probably cant ride on the road so any info on that or a place of storage or a place where cops dont care would be awesome!

Thanks guys!!! This site is such a good find.

Dave
    Hey Dave, welcome aboard!

Things are different in every city, but if you have a motorbike licence from back in the States it really shouldn't be too difficult at all to get a Chinese DL..

I live down in Kunming and there's also issues with driving inside the city (ie it's illegal), but I've just bought a bike which I'll store on the outskirts and pickup whenever I want to head out for a ride. From what I gather if you get plates outside of Shanghai (not the A plates?) it should be a lot cheaper, but that's something you can check on here, there's reams of info.

3. #3 Re: new to shanghai from Philadelphia PA. good to be here! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey foxy thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I don't have a lisence back in the states. I rode on a permit because essentially it's the same thing because the cops never gave you any crap for it. I tried to search for some of the info here about the plates thing for shanghai but nothing came up. Do you think or anyone on the site could point me in the right direction? Does anyone know if flat track racing exists out here as well? Also are there any motorcycle mechanic schools in china? I know there's a couple back in the states and I know harley trains some of their mechanics at their own school if I'm not mistaken. I know there's harley dealers out here.. Who does the repairs on their bikes does anyone know?

4. #4 Re: new to shanghai from Philadelphia PA. good to be here! 
    Dave when you have dealt with a few local mechanics you will appreciate the humour of the question " are then any mechanics schools in china ?" Anyway.. moving right along . You can get a licence here without one from your home country, it just means you have to do the whole test including the practical riding part. It is just the standard slow speed handling test so easy enough to do.

5. #5 Re: new to shanghai from Philadelphia PA. good to be here! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Gidday dave, welcome aboard the MCM craZies bUs...

All of what you are asking is pretty much covered in a multitude of threads, so best advice I can give, is to work your way down the various forum categories. Often what may seem at first sight a post/topic of little relevance on the surface, often times hold little nuggets or gems or very relevant information. At the very minimum you'll increase your knowledge base exponentially.

I'd suggest you start with the Ride Prep & Making Tracks category, which has a number of 'sticky' threads at the top, worth reading, such topics like getting licensed, insurance, MC accidents as well as a host of other topics. You can find some specific HD info in the Industry News & Motor Talk, as well as Dealers & Distributors, plus Manufacturers Info & Discussion threads.

There are some MC Mechanics that do approved manufacturer tech courses and HD is one of these, though not the only manufacturer to do so. However you will soon realise that these are the exception to the rule...

One last thing, in terms of trying to search for info in MCM, it is best to combine whatever search terms in a external search engine like Goog.le and add mychinamoto. You're more likely to find relevant threads more easily than if you simply use the MCM search engine.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #6 Re: new to shanghai from Philadelphia PA. good to be here! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey everyone thanks so much for all the info

Hey bikerdoc I tried to look up those harley tech courses on google but nothing came up. Do you think you could send me any info on them?

Thanks!!

7. #7 Re: new to shanghai from Philadelphia PA. good to be here! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpollen54 View Post
    Hey everyone thanks so much for all the info
    Hey bikerdoc I tried to look up those harley tech courses on google but nothing came up. Do you think you could send me any info on them?
    Thanks!!
    Sorry I've no other information.
    You might find some useful info (or not) by contacting Jimmy (dealer principle) at HD Suzhou.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso