Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Shineray are the most arrogant and useless of all the manufacturers we've dealt with 
    This is a bit of a rant, but I feel it's something I have to do in order to help anyone else planning to import Shineray motorcycles so that they can save some time by not dealing with this company.

A quick background.

Our little Churchill customs company has reached the stage where we've decided to OEM and export various different models of Chinese bikes to overseas markets, mainly our home countries (USA, Australia and South Africa), with our first big push into America, I won't bore you with the details, but the funds are all but secured and the channels, distribution network and paperwork have all but been completed, the only thing we need are bikes that are reliable enough to meet the high expectations of the American customer. We all know that not one Chinese company can meet those high demands (maybe Qingqi), but we have faith that by working with local factories, doing some very extensive testing here in China beforehand to identify the quality issues and ensuring that the cosmetics are up to scratch that we can achieve a good product that will be acceptable in the overseas market.

Here's where the problem comes in, we approached various different motorcycle factories at the Canton fair, without giving away who (our prototypes are currently being copyrighted in the states so I can't reveal the manufacturers or designs just yet), we secured 3 samples from three different but well known suppliers who were more than happy to deal with us, they shipped the bikes to our workshop and we have already begun redesign and testing (all the time taking to the factory to ensure that we don't make changes that will require re-tooling etc). One of the factories that we were very keen on working with was Shineray, their XY400SS is the perfect base for classic modifications as it is an almost direct copy of the Honda CB400ss or Yamaha SR400 (that sort of bike), after speaking to the salesman at the Canton fair, he ensured us that we could order a sample and even gave us a price, we were very much looking forward to testing it and had a great deal of enthusiasm for the bike. The display model however left a lot to be desired, lots of cheap looking bits, bad frame welds and weak looking hubs, no efi to name a few issues, we were however convinced that after some serious testing, strip down and sourcing of better quality parts and efi to make it epa compliant that we'd have a bike that would sell in the states, we decided that we'd go ahead and spend a considerable amount of time and money helping the factory develop and improve this bike and also help them start to sell it in a new maket (as they currently don't sell it in the USA).

Here's the catch, they refused to sell us a sample. We got shunted from department to department, one guy telling us that "there's nothing wrong with the bike, why would you want to change anything, it's perfect" to another guy telling us that they'd only send us a sample if we ordered 30 bikes, then we got told that they can't sell us a sample because they didn't think we were a serious company and that we had to send proof of our company registration etc, again we did this and they then finally agreed to sell us a sample at the originally agreed price and that they would generate a PI.

We waited a week without any word on the PI, when no word came, we contacted them again only to be told that they've changed their mind and that if we wanted a sample, we'd have to buy one at retail price from a local Chinese dealership... in otherwords, not a sample and not dealing with the factory but with a dealer here as a normal customer on the street.

To sum up, Shineray is an arrogant company with a total lack of foresight, it doesn't matter how big you are, the amount of valuable testing, R&D and the opportunity to move into the American market with relative ease were all thrown away because they refused to sell us a sample, the sample price isn't even that much lower than retail, they would not have made a loss of any kind and only gained from this transaction and yet they gave us the run around for over a month with the end result being that we now refuse to even consider working with them in the future, we have other factories here who are more than willing to do business with us and see the value that we can add to their companies.

Moral of the story, do not deal with Shineray, their products are sub-standard and I suspect will continue to be if they refuse to realise that foreign markets require foreign insight, testing and r&d.

- Rant over

2. #2 Re: Shineray are the most arrogant and useless of all the manufacturers we've dealt w 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Alas, this is business and, worse, this is business in China.

Large companies, such as Shineray, have a HUGE bureaucratic chip on their shoulders. They believe that you are a nobody unless you are similarly bloated, uncreative, unresponsive and stuck in the "we've always done it this way" mentality.

I'm semi-retired now, but in my past life all doors would open for me when I showed up in a Mercedes, with a Rolex, a tailored Italian suit, and a business card from a prestigious investment bank. Today, I am a little older and a little wiser, but I now zip around on a 125cc scooter, in jeans & a t-shirt, wearing a Timex. Even the doormen won't open a door for me and instead bark at me that I can't park my scooter where it can be seen!

Anyways, in semi-retirement, I have a few fingers managing a private equity fund, and it is a given that start-ups are the key to innovation and product development. My advice to you is ... persevere ... never give up ... keep moving forward, while the pigs are stuck wallowing in the mud. Prove the fat guys wrong, and savor that moment in the future when they call you, and you put them on hold. It WILL happen if you build a better mousetrap. In the interim, extract every bit of info you can from the clowns and figure out how to do it better. In my experience, those fat private-bureaucrats love to boast and brag, giving away their trade secrets. Those are always my favorite meetings - bring it on boys, tell me all about your great products and accomplishments, and your plans for the future!

Anyways ... FWIW, don't let one monolithic company get you down. Good luck!

3. #3 Re: Shineray are the most arrogant and useless of all the manufacturers we've dealt w 
    Very agree about that xy400ss whatever its called . It could be a great bike and probably a good seller ( maybe not so much in the usa ) but anybody who cant see it has a few flaws and is quite a way from perfect , well head in the sand comes to mind but more like head up own ass. Don't let the bastards grind you down...

4. #4 Re: Shineray are the most arrogant and useless of all the manufacturers we've dealt w 
    The owner of Excalibur Motorsports in the L.A. area is a distributor who used to deal with many Shineray products. He didn't have issues with arrogance, and the quality was fine, but he found that the rep he worked with seemed to change more and more often. He could never get a straight answer since the personnel changed so much. He stopped carrying Shineray a few years ago.

5. #5 Re: Shineray are the most arrogant and useless of all the manufacturers we've dealt w 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have spoken with Shineray before and after the Canton Fair, they seem content with the way that they do business. They "have" an exclusive distributor in the US but are going to Exhibit at Indy probably looking for a "bigger fish". The South African market might be your best bet.

My advice, if they will let you is to buy a 40HQ of them and keep the three best. You will make money on the units that you sell and it will boost your credentials.

Just my USD 0.02

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentza View Post
    This is a bit of a rant, but I feel it's something I have to do in order to help anyone else planning to import Shineray motorcycles so that they can save some time by not dealing with this company.

A quick background.

Our little Churchill customs company has reached the stage where we've decided to OEM and export various different models of Chinese bikes to overseas markets, mainly our home countries (USA, Australia and South Africa), with our first big push into America, I won't bore you with the details, but the funds are all but secured and the channels, distribution network and paperwork have all but been completed, the only thing we need are bikes that are reliable enough to meet the high expectations of the American customer. We all know that not one Chinese company can meet those high demands (maybe Qingqi), but we have faith that by working with local factories, doing some very extensive testing here in China beforehand to identify the quality issues and ensuring that the cosmetics are up to scratch that we can achieve a good product that will be acceptable in the overseas market.

Here's where the problem comes in, we approached various different motorcycle factories at the Canton fair, without giving away who (our prototypes are currently being copyrighted in the states so I can't reveal the manufacturers or designs just yet), we secured 3 samples from three different but well known suppliers who were more than happy to deal with us, they shipped the bikes to our workshop and we have already begun redesign and testing (all the time taking to the factory to ensure that we don't make changes that will require re-tooling etc). One of the factories that we were very keen on working with was Shineray, their XY400SS is the perfect base for classic modifications as it is an almost direct copy of the Honda CB400ss or Yamaha SR400 (that sort of bike), after speaking to the salesman at the Canton fair, he ensured us that we could order a sample and even gave us a price, we were very much looking forward to testing it and had a great deal of enthusiasm for the bike. The display model however left a lot to be desired, lots of cheap looking bits, bad frame welds and weak looking hubs, no efi to name a few issues, we were however convinced that after some serious testing, strip down and sourcing of better quality parts and efi to make it epa compliant that we'd have a bike that would sell in the states, we decided that we'd go ahead and spend a considerable amount of time and money helping the factory develop and improve this bike and also help them start to sell it in a new maket (as they currently don't sell it in the USA).

Here's the catch, they refused to sell us a sample. We got shunted from department to department, one guy telling us that "there's nothing wrong with the bike, why would you want to change anything, it's perfect" to another guy telling us that they'd only send us a sample if we ordered 30 bikes, then we got told that they can't sell us a sample because they didn't think we were a serious company and that we had to send proof of our company registration etc, again we did this and they then finally agreed to sell us a sample at the originally agreed price and that they would generate a PI.

We waited a week without any word on the PI, when no word came, we contacted them again only to be told that they've changed their mind and that if we wanted a sample, we'd have to buy one at retail price from a local Chinese dealership... in otherwords, not a sample and not dealing with the factory but with a dealer here as a normal customer on the street.

To sum up, Shineray is an arrogant company with a total lack of foresight, it doesn't matter how big you are, the amount of valuable testing, R&D and the opportunity to move into the American market with relative ease were all thrown away because they refused to sell us a sample, the sample price isn't even that much lower than retail, they would not have made a loss of any kind and only gained from this transaction and yet they gave us the run around for over a month with the end result being that we now refuse to even consider working with them in the future, we have other factories here who are more than willing to do business with us and see the value that we can add to their companies.

Moral of the story, do not deal with Shineray, their products are sub-standard and I suspect will continue to be if they refuse to realise that foreign markets require foreign insight, testing and r&d.

- Rant over
    Pot calling kettle black, seen one of your bikes, seen how you ride on your half assed truth videos, blah blah hand built bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. #7 Re: Shineray are the most arrogant and useless of all the manufacturers we've dealt w 
    Not sure about their building skills but their riding skills have a lot to be desired.
    Not seen or heard from these guys lately, could be deported by now lol
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Banned
    Too busy bullshitting on YouTube making loads with half assed nonsense IMO

9. #9 Re: Shineray are the most arrogant and useless of all the manufacturers we've dealt w 
    YouTube what's that never heard of that name in China lol
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Banned
    lol it's something I found in Macau - the other china lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast