Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 License plate insurance question 
    wanted to ask directly because I wasn't sure my question applied to the sticky on insurance.

perhaps this is a silly question, but is the insurance that comes with plate registration mandatory, or can you get insurance for a third-party instead (although it doesn't seem easy) and still get legal plates.
    With that, does anyone have experience with somehow getting insurance for a license plate in their name, but the plate registered in another (or vise versa?) I know this doesn't seem to make much sense, but the reason I ask is because Im getting a story from the cheguansuo here that they can't register plates in my name because there's no way to get insurance for foreigners here (in Jiangxi).
    thanks for any help in advance!

2. #2 Re: License plate insurance question 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Yes, insurance is mandatory, and is usually required when dealing with plating/inspection. The insurance is a third-party type of policy, not a comprehensive cover. The insurance is provided by an insurer e.g. PICC, though this may vary depending on ones location.

Having insurance and a plate in different names is not usual here, so I would imagine that attempting to do so would be problematic if not impossible. It can be done, as I have had MCs plated in my wifes name, but insured in mine, but it was not easy to achieve. It was also many years ago when the 'system' seemed somewhat looser. May not be possible now nor in your situation.

Unfortunately one size does not fit all here...
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #3 Re: License plate insurance question 
    Never heard of being unable to insure a bike in a foreigners name Jiangxi, I'm sure other people must have already done this, but I can't think of examples. Sounds like a bullshit opinion that someone pulled out of their ass to avoid doing some work or something more difficult than normal or to 'protect' you from riding a motorcycle (riding a motorcycle is extremely dangerous for a Chinese person as they still haven't figured out how to look left and right at an intersection). Ask about insuring a car and see if you get the same response. Ask elsewhere or ask at an insurance company, if need be register in another name if this is the unlikely truth as China can be nuts.

4. #4 Re: License plate insurance question 
    Alright, thanks for the clarification, looks like it's still just another case by case thing. What just gets to me is not getting the same answer for different dealers/government organs etc. Been getting pulled back and forth on this for a while now. I just want to ride.

One thing that would really help if it could be clarified, what do people mean on the forum by getting the dealer to register for you? Does it imply you just give them the proper docs and the sort out everything for you in your name? Or is it in their name (no "public" plates here in jx)? Do you still go to the traffic management bearau with them? Has anyone gone on their own and had any luck? I just keep getting told no by dealers saying they can't help in the insurance/plating process

5. #5 Re: License plate insurance question 
    Not simple to answer your question since the "getting the dealer to register for you" comment needs to be taken in context. It could indeed imply any number of possible scenarios as you've outlined. As an example the main Suzuki dealer I have bought numerous bikes from, has helped me with the plating procedure on bikes bought from that shop. At first (~8 years ago) I was not required to go to the Traffic Management Bureau, but that changed years ago. So even the dealer deals with the process etc. I have to be present, and provide all required documents (passport, DL, proof of residence etc.). However I have also gone through the same or similar process myself, but also Guanxi comes into play. What works for me in my situation and location may not work for you in yours.

Now by the same token, some bike buyers may face different circumstances etc., so the remark "getting the dealer to register the bike" could take on a different life of its own, and places like BJ where there are agents that handle plating of bikes for multiple people, some in the owners name, and some in a third parties name. Some of these agents might be bike dealers too.

So the statement you ask about is not a 'one size fits all'...

I'm thinking that there might be something you're missing, or misunderstanding in the process, but then again maybe not. Do you have a Chinese name, and have you used this on other items e.g. DL, fapiao for the bike in question?

Choosing a Chinese name sounds simple, and for most daily life here it is, until you need to do something more officious. Somehow you have to be able to link that Chinese name to yourself and your documents... passport etc. Jurisdictions like Shanghai for example have a government issued ID card for foreigners which links the passport number, foreigners name, and their chosen Chinese name, which makes it all official. But most places don't offer this. You then need to be mindful to join the dots if you want to go down this route of having everything in YOUR Chinese name.
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #6 Re: License plate insurance question 
    Thanks doc, this is really helpful. Realize it's not one size fits all, but it's nice to have an idea of the array of possibilities of things that have been done (and depending on circumstance, maybe could be done).
    As for the docs, my DL is in Chinese (because they told me it had to be) and the only thing I have to connect the two as of now is the official government translation which essentially just lists my Chinese and English name together.
    Really why I want everything on point is because I'm hoping to do a bigger trip next year, and when crossing borders I want to minimize the amount of questions/issues that arise. Even through the ride report of the great ride forward made it seem like it it was a breeze...

7. #7 Re: License plate insurance question 
    my bike plate and insurance is registered to my name.... chinese name though.... michael - chinese name - may kerr ... its odd as to how can i prove i am may kerr, but it seems you can name yourself anything you want here.

8. #8 Re: License plate insurance question 
    Quote Originally Posted by artedesenyo View Post
    my bike plate and insurance is registered to my name.... chinese name though.... michael - chinese name - may kerr ... its odd as to how can i prove i am may kerr, but it seems you can name yourself anything you want here.
    Likely not going to be an issue, except if in the event that insurance needs to be claimed on, then someone MIGHT raise the point. But TIC...
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #9 Re: License plate insurance question 
    After 2 days of a tour of the city and bordering counties' insurance offices, it seems none are willing to sell insurance to a foreigner or don't do motorcycle insurance --for whatever reason; all the counties are too-small to handle it I guess? or something like that..
    in this case I may just give in after 2 months of working on it and just register in a friends name. not ideal at all, but at this point I dont have 6 months left on my visa now and am loosing days I could be riding
    so, a new question: what documents do I need to be as legal as I can be? A bill of sale btwn her and I, and a separate contract that states that the legal responsibility of the motorcycle falls on me? Anything else?
    in the case of an accident where an insurance claim needs to be made, I assume that despite these she would have to be involved, correct?

10. #10 Re: License plate insurance question 
    Quote Originally Posted by njbrwn View Post
    Thanks doc, this is really helpful. Realize it's not one size fits all, but it's nice to have an idea of the array of possibilities of things that have been done (and depending on circumstance, maybe could be done).
    As for the docs, my DL is in Chinese (because they told me it had to be) and the only thing I have to connect the two as of now is the official government translation which essentially just lists my Chinese and English name together.
    Really why I want everything on point is because I'm hoping to do a bigger trip next year, and when crossing borders I want to minimize the amount of questions/issues that arise. Even through the ride report of the great ride forward made it seem like it it was a breeze...

Hi Hjbrwn

In Thailand now ! Left Hainan 7 days ago and crossed out of China, at the Laos border on a bike not in my name not insured in my name bike was all legal and I had the blue and green book got a Chinese DL
    In my Chinese name and was only asked for the blue book !! . Got out off China in about 20 mins , but this was at this border crossing other may be ask other question TIC
    Just for the recode I do have 1 other bike all legal in my name and insured in my name (Chinese name) but could not do the insurance at the licence plate office was told by the agent to go to the main office
    in my local town .
    A further undated to the trip will be posted by the Doc on here very soon need to work out the route and email the doc with the details . So watch this space on information on getting out of China.
    Last edited by prince666; 09-16-2014 at 07:10 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"