Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    C-Moto Noob
    First post on MCM!

Unfortunately even for the exorbitant price of the Shanghai A plate (126k at time of writing) many of the routes normally travelled by car through inner Shanghai are off-limits for motorcycles.

There are few to no visual resources (in Chinese or English) about the numerous restricted zones inside the Inner Ring so I've spent a couple hours drawing these in a Google map for you guys. Will do a Hu C version if requested. No point doing a Waidi plate version as they're banned from all areas except a narrow strip on the Jiangsu border.

I have no idea how to embed a Google Map into a forum post so if anyone could provide pointers on that it would be greatly appreciated.

Either way, enjoy!

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...w.kyEl7ZXewoMs
    Benelli BJ600GS (Shanghai)
    Honda CB500X (Vancouver)

2. #2 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    Don't worry about it. The people making these rules are unelected, therefore they have NO mandate to make the rules. Bend and break the rules where necessary, but keep legal as far as reasonably possible. In fact you could argue that those rules are merely local bylaws and have no legal standing and are only to enforce a petty hierarchy enabling the wealthier to feel as though they are more important and higher status than others. If I lived in Shanghai I'd buy a C or B plate, insurance and license but ride it where the hell I liked.

Thanks for the map though, I'm sure it's useful for people living there or visiting to know the areas to be more vigilant.

3. #3 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Agreed. Have noticed that with the exception of the very central areas (Huaihai Rd., etc.) most of these restricted areas aren't patrolled at all or very spottily. Just wanted to provide this resource as when I tried to search for Hu A restricted zones I could only find it in Chinese text. Cheers!
    Benelli BJ600GS (Shanghai)
    Honda CB500X (Vancouver)

4. #4 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    The issue concerning MC plates in Shanghai is relevant to me as I spent some considerable time emailing/chatting via phone to a potential buyer of the CF650TR I have for sale over concerns about keeping an out of town plate on this bike for riding in Shanghai. As I pointed out, so long as the bike is legally plated, has valid & up-to-date insurance and inspection, and so long as the rider has a valid MC endorsed PRC D/L, then for all intensive purposes, this bike would be treated fairly much the same as a bike with a Hu C plate, when ridden in the supposedly exclusive Hu A plate designated areas. As pointed out in this thread and previously in many others, Hu A plated MC's face serious restrictions and impositions for the privilege of paying circa 120K+ for said Hu A plate. Riding a bike with a Hu C or an out of town plate ends in the same set of consequences should one have the impediment of being caught and that is a 200 kuai fine. One could amass a lot of 200 kuai fines before tipping the scales in favour of the Hu A plate.

To my mind the easiest method of riding in Shanghai is either electric bike/scooter or a small <49cc scoot. Which have fairly limited restrictions in place by comparison to MC's 50cc and above.

A little ditty, last year I rode my Burgman 650 adorned with Ningbo plates up to Shanghai and back again for a weekends escape to the big smoke (needed my head examined but well...). Stayed in a hotel near Hongkou, and rode the scoot round Shanghai a reasonable amount. Rode up and down the full length of Yunnan Xi Lu several times, and also found myself inadvertently riding around Shanghai Peoples Square more than once, as I made a couple of navigational errors, despite having lived on Hengshan Lu, not 2km from Nanjing Dong Lu (walking street) and the Bund some 9 years ago. The amount of development meant I didn't even recognise once recognisable landmarks, so there I was, a Waiguoren riding a big scoot round the Shanghai CBD, including near Huahui Lu. Didn't get stopped once, despite riding in MC forbidden zones complete with out of town plates. Doesn't mean that it can't happen. TIC, there's no consistency. I experienced no difficulty whatsoever obtaining fuel, or even asked to show my scoots registration documents etc. when refuelling. Also refuelled at the bowsers, and not once was asked to move my scoot to some place else. If that had been the case, I'd simply have left and gone elsewhere, as I carry a spare litre of fuel under the seat of the scoot.

My only stop was at the Zhejiang/Shanghai Toll Station on my ride out the Shanghai madness, which was self imposed as I refuelled and feed myself, when a couple of the local PSB guys came over to check out the scoot, with some thumbs up for the auspicious number plate and small banter back and forth. Everything in order, good to go.

YMMV

5. #5 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    C-Moto Regular
    MANY THANKS JEFF! can you make a Hu C? but I think it would just be every road inside Outer Ring would be restricted right?

I just wanted to add my 2 cent research into this.

The Xiangyin Road tunnel is restricted, but the General Manager of BMW motorcycles apparently uses this almost daily to cross to pudong

However, there has been some incidents this month where there have been some Hu C plates not only being fined, but also having 3 points deducted for driving within Center and Inner Ring. My motorcycle friends (local) say it is because of the heighten security lately and also there will be some Asian Game event or something. Their recommendation is that just don't be first at a red light or reving your bike all over the roads when you are driving inner ring.

Also there is a Chinese bbs post where apparently we can drive motorcycles on highways (Gaosu) I can't read Chinese myself, but here is the post http://club.m.autohome.com.cn/bbs/th...appinstalled=0

6. #6 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    I'll try and get to the main points of the Ch!nese post...

The linked forum post, is by a group of motorcyclists in Yunan concerning the Expressway distance of 98km from Lijiang to Dali that riders wanted to ride. The members of the motorcycle group, all with large displacement bikes attempted to enter the Expressway but were stopped (as per usual, and as most of 'us' MCM members know only too well). The group though were prepared and had with them various official documents concerning traffic regulations and so forth. They, the group, had already trawled through all the relevant legislation and had been unable to find anything that expressly bans motorcycles from using Expressways. The group contested the denial of access on the day, and presented the argument in a non-confrontational way to the attendants etc at the Expressway. Eventually a man approached the group identifying himself as the Chief of the Expressway, and the group was subsequently invited/asked to go inside the Expressway management building where further discussions took place, and where they met a Captain. The 'Expressway authorities' did their best to provide the various 'laws' which outlined where motorcycle use on Expressways were forbidden, but actually were unable to do so.

The group presented the legal documents etc they had, and discussions took place in a civil manner. Eventually the group were able to get the head of the Expressway to agree to provide a written statement stating that "motorcycles were/are banned from the Expressway" or similar, and stamp it with the official stamp of the Expressway authority, much to the reluctance of the authority. The boss of the Expressway relented and agreed to this request, and provided the document on Expressway authority letterhead with chop (stamp).

The group took this document to a Traffic PSB, who basically agreed that there is not any explicit ban on motorcycles from Expressways.

Eventually the group met with the same Expressway management authority again, who were cordial, and tried to supply various evidence where it stated in 'regulations/laws' that bikes were banned/forbidden, but what was presented was insufficient. The authority even tried searching online using Baidu and similar unsuccessfully in supporting their position. In the end the Expressway authority just said that motorcycles were banned and that was that. It's a bit more than that, but I'm tired right now...

Following this the group and the individual poster received messages of support from other forum posters etc. And bouyed by this vowed to continued to fight this BS rule... that has no basis in any relevant legislation, certainly not at the provincial level or above.

There was a case taken to the People's Court in Shanghai by a motorcycle friendly lawyer in Shanghai a couple/several years ago. The case resulted in a supposed trial (time) period of motorcycles having some access to elevated roads/Expressway in Shanghai, the thread and link are on MCM somewhere, but never heard any more about it at the time.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 05-18-2014 at 07:00 AM.

7. #7 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    Concerning expressways... been discussed on MCM way back...

motorbikes/expressways

8. #8 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    C-Moto Regular
    Awesome! thanks for the translation. It seems we need to carry the little red book and all legal volumes with us when we head to the hills!

9. #9 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    C-Moto Regular
    Many thanks biker doc for the thread forward. I just finished reading... anyone who hasn't its a great resource.

My own thoughts really went back and forth on this one... I just bought a bike to ride from my bar and back to my home... (I don't drink, seriously) but I was thinking of going out for some cruises to places like WUZhen and using the expressways would be great. But after seeing how people drive here and thier attitude towards safety I think its better no bikes get on expressways... I think many many people have to die in China before the locals understand the concept of true safety. Their lane changing behaviour (not shoulder checking and not even looking as if to say if I can't see it there is nothing there) is so dangerous and yet the driving schools don't even teach this...

Sorry for the rant...

10. #10 Re: Shanghai A Plate Restricted Zones and River Crossings (Yangtze/Huangpu) 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    [...] Riding a bike with a Hu C or an out of town plate ends in the same set of consequences should one have the impediment of being caught and that is a 200 kuai fine. One could amass a lot of 200 kuai fines before tipping the scales in favour of the Hu A plate.
    ^ This.

A friend of mine got caught and fined only 50 RMB - Zero point for having a Waidi plate on his 125cc. U can talk ur way out of the maximum 200 RMB fine.

I thought 沪C was a good investment for a while but I don't think so anymore, as it's 25-30000 RMB and has no perk against almost free Waidi plates, maybe a bit more tolerance in the inner ring, very arbitrarily...

To my mind the easiest method of riding in Shanghai is either electric bike/scooter or a small <49cc scoot. Which have fairly limited restrictions in place by comparison to MC's 50cc and above.
    SH is a big town, just got a ninja 250, I wouldn't mind changing it for a 500 already, as I work a bit outta town, but nothing bigger as the Ninja 250 already gets me stuck from time to time... I like a lot driving a 80cc scooter for rides closer from home, and not just so close. I'd say the perfect set up in SH (for me) would be a 500cc street bike and the tiniest 125cc scooter available...

[...] TIC, there's no consistency. I experienced no difficulty whatsoever obtaining fuel, or even asked to show my scoots registration documents etc. when refuelling. Also refuelled at the bowsers, and not once was asked to move my scoot to some place else. [...]
    There is some form of consistency, they will send u off to beg for gas somewhere else if u "look" illegal more than if u are. A friend with a fake 沪A on his scoot couldn't get gas although they didn't ask for papers, probably much more because he has no helmet, no rider jacket, no gloves, no rider's horizon gazing eyes... ATGATT is what u need to get gas here.

- - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hok View Post
    [...] Their lane changing behaviour (not shoulder checking and not even looking as if to say if I can't see it there is nothing there) is so dangerous and yet the driving schools don't even teach this... [...]
    Yup.

Where situational awareness is just nonexistent, one would think: "I only need to drive as if I'm invisible" but it's not enough, they'll put their SUV or electric bike in ur way regardless of ur speed to stop u from passing where u have right of way so they can burn their red light or not yield before their left turn.

The right approach is: "I only need to drive as if I'm a boat and every other driver a skilled & experienced kamikaze."

Laws are for those who have to abide or wish to, right of way is for who takes it.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast