Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hi from Ningbo

1. #1 Hi from Ningbo 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Guys

Great forum.

Arrived in China last month, from Derby UK. I plan to be in Ningbo for 2 years. Am already missing riding a bike, but to be honest, the (city) roads aren't tempting me at all, so it will be to get out and explore . Long story short, I'm now planning to buy a bike over here. Have already found lots of useful info on the forum - Thanks to All. Will take me more than few months to sort out finances. I have full UK bike licence and am going to look into getting a local licence next week - lack of Mandarin notwithstanding. Owned a thumper for a few years, a Yamaha XT 600, lovely bike, pulled like a train - grinned every time I rode it. Now those JH600s look interesting ..

Cheers for now, Phill

2. #2 Re: Hi from Ningbo 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    G'day Phil. Welcome to the MCM craZies bUs. No matter things might resemble a looney bin. LOL.
    I'm based pretty close to you as it turns out. There are a number of foreign riders with MC's here, some loosely organised into a couple of groups, which you're bound to stumble across at one point or another.
    Spend some time reading through the different MCM categories to get a handle on local flavours etc.
    While you go through the fairly well worn process to PRC MC DL attainment, keep in mind that when you go to the officially sanctioned translation office, that you make sure you get them to put you down as having car and motorcycle class DL (C1E= car and full 2 wheeled MC) though if you want to you could also point out that you're really entitled to a ride side car MC's too (C1D the 'D' allows you to ride 2 and 3 wheeled MC's). Many are not aware of this distinction until after the PRC DL has been granted/obtained, and seemingly difficult to near on impossible to correct or change.

As for bikes, head on over to the bike market - classifieds section (you might notice my CF650TR for sale [shameless self promotion])
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #3 Re: Hi from Ningbo 
    BTW, not sure how much you have read on MCM or knowledge you have about MC's in PRC. Depending on where you are residing in Ningbo, might mean you cannot plate a MC or ride one in your area. Haishu, parts of Jiangdong... MC are banned, so MC plates are not issued to anyone with residence in those affected areas. Hence depending on location, where there are MC bans one will not find any MC shops.

Some parts of PRC that have motorcycle bans, not only don't issue MC plates, but also do not allow one to apply/sit or obtain a MC DL (E or D).

Lots more besides... to know, most of which is covered in various threads on MCM.
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #4 Re: Hi from Ningbo 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Bikerdoc

Thanks for the heads up re MC riders locally and the PRC licencing process and entitlement. Mmm riding an outfit, never done that! Will have a good read through different threads and check out the classifieds, don’t know anything about CF650s for now :).

I live in Yinzhou district, phew, not one you mentioned. Have seen a few bikes on the roads round here mostly a Chinese Honda types and what I think were Yamaha ybrs (?) – only guessing.

Phill

5. #5 Re: Hi from Ningbo 
    Yinzhou should be okay, though there are parts of Yinzhou to close to call. But if you are out around Wanda or the university areas then all good. If you see MC's out on your street then that should be a pretty good barometer as to the state of play. Just keep in mind, if you buy a bike, new or used, there are loads of issues to consider. If you buy out of city in another city in a different province, the method to plating is not as simple as most would experience in developed countries. Also you should expect to be told a load of porkies.

If you have loads of riding experience, then riding here takes a bit of adjustment. It's fairly passive - aggressive. One has to fight the anal aptitude and attitude of the local population, and then some. Some find riding a bicycle or ebike a good way to assimilate to the logic-free TIC zone.

As an aside, a new MC shop is opening in Yinzhou this month. A consortium of KTMR2R and Qianjiang (who own Benelli brand). I'd say just be a little wary of one of the owners... all smiles and will tell you anything you want to hear, types.

Outfits, - I used to ride and swing on a mates Yamaha V-Max 1200, nearly two decades ago. Lethal, just ask me sometime how I ended up in amongst the pine trees of the Riverhead state forest late one night, one time, while navigating alone on a solo ride back to my house Waiumauku country side). Had a bunch of friends who raced outfits back in the day round that time too. A lot of fun, but I'd find them too frustrating to ride here for many reasons.

On the subject of outfits, I'd recommend steering well clear of CJ750's. Lot's of bull faeces and notoriously unreliable mounts surround them, plus they're semi-illegal to register in a foreign name in PRC. If you were thinking of an outfit then Jialing also do a JH600B (outfit), aside from the two wheeler JH600A, both of which are legal, and can be plated - in jurisdictions that allow MC plating to occur.

As to the JH600, some commentators/MCM 'members' here, have JH600's and general consensus is it's a pretty ok stable platform to ride for PRC. I've one local friend round Ningbo that has an early model JH600 that suffered a wide range of problems, had to have the whole front end replaced (under warranty). He rode all over PRC though, and still owns that JH600 today mainly for sentimental value. He doesn't ride it much though, as he has other rides and priorities.

Phil, if you have the time, I'm sure you will find lots of info here on MCM if you care to delve into the various thread categories. Some gems are hidden inside threads which on the surface that might seemingly have little to no relevance to you or your situation.

If you look at buying any bike, go through the plating process and even in relation to your DL conversion or life in PRC in general... keep my saying in mind...

"TIC where EVERYTHING is just for looking, beAware the smoke and mirrors, for nothing is as it seems - if you can scratch beneath the veneer. Apply this to every situation, interactions, and to ALL locals you have dealings with either personally or professionally..." (author; me) it should serve you well.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 06-02-2014 at 04:50 AM.
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #6 Re: Hi from Ningbo 
    CFMoto CF650 thread compilation
    Buck & Amy CF650TR Guiness World Record 'The Great Ride of China'

These links might help you get acquainted with CFMoto based in Hangzhou
    - Pablo Picasso

7. #7 Re: Hi from Ningbo 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Bikerdoc

I live south of Wanda and sort of northwest of the University, so I’m feeling good :)

Will definitely bear in mind your saying and other comments re propensity for porkies, smoke and mirrors in dealings with local folks. I’ve read quite a bit about MC restrictions/bans and the need for local registration, so I want to make sure everything is legit.

I’ve been riding regularly, commuting and pleasure, for the last few years after quite a long break. I realise to ride a MC in China I’ll need to revise my attitude a lot. Am thinking maybe getting on an ebike might help. Although I’m thinking now, I’ll only use the MC to go for rideouts, more realistically I know I’ll start using it more locally too – probably. Not sure what kinda mileage I might put in. Back home I did 10 to 12k (miles) a year. Can't see me doing any where near that whilst I'm here though.

I’ve heard and read that there are mountains in Zhejiang and the rides in the province are good. Think I’ve seen a mountain through the ‘haze’ once or twice so far. Am really looking forward to getting out there.

Pranging an outfit and landing in the pine trees yikes ! Glad you walked away :). Racing a V max outfit does sound an amazing experience. – Not sure if I fancy it, but if the opportunity ever came up …..

Re the JH600, thanks for sharing your friend’s experience, glad he got it sorted under warranty. Will certainly peruse the CFmoto and Great Ride of China threads.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Phill

8. #8 Re: Hi from Ningbo 
    Hi Phill! Not much to add, other than welcome!
    Bikerdoc has covered most of the legal stuff really well. Have a read of the stickies in 'ride prep and making tracks' if you haven't already, any other questions, let us know!

9. #9 Re: Hi from Ningbo 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi ZMC88

Thanks for your welcome. More, reading – think I’m reaching information overload – All good stuff . Will check out the stickies in ‘ride prep and making tracks’. It’s amazing what you can get used to and take for granted - getting on an MC legally here is definitely different – wanna make sure I get it right first time.

cheers Phill