Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: New Zontes Monster 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by wellfn View Post
    Hi, just joined as I bought a Monster yesterday. Keen to give it a once over to check stuff. It was a bit hesitant when riding it home when pushing it a wee bit. I am trying to hold back for first wee while to let the engine settle in. Checked the plug gap and was only 0.04mm, should be between 0.06 and 0.07mm. So now plan to check valve clearances etc. You mentioned you got the specifications from the importer, could you possibly share them. I am assuming they are the same as the Yamaha YBR125. Spark plug change and valve clearances are my immediate plan, and ensuring all bolts are tightened properly. Both rear shock upper mounts are loose, missing washers. Also air filter side panel mounting screws are both very loose, one is almost out! Build quality not great so far. Also sump has way too much oil in it, well over the maximum mark.
    Edit. Should have stated that I am a very competent amateur bike and car mechanic. Stripped down and rebuilt several small capacity bikes in the past. I appreciate that many people join a forum like this looking for information on how to make their bike go faster. I am basically just looking to set my bike at its optimal level, as the supplying dealer has clearly failed to do so!
    Hi, I just want to say that the Zontes' are assembled at the dealer's not delivered prebuilt. So issues like loose shock mounts, missing washers etc. are the fault of the dealer, not the manufacturer.
    I have a Zontes Tiger, and while I agree that the headlights are a bit naff, the general build is good, i've clocked up 6,000 km in a year and only had problem with the cheap spark plug so far.

2. #12 Re: New Zontes Monster 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
    Hi, I just want to say that the Zontes' are assembled at the dealer's not delivered prebuilt. So issues like loose shock mounts, missing washers etc. are the fault of the dealer, not the manufacturer.
    I have a Zontes Tiger, and while I agree that the headlights are a bit naff, the general build is good, i've clocked up 6,000 km in a year and only had problem with the cheap spark plug so far.
    Hi, Thanks for reply. I was aware that the dealer did quite a bit of the assembly, including most of the items I listed. Some loose mounting points were actually part of the frame where other items are mounted.
    Anyway, I am pleased as I got it for a very good price. Bike had lain for ages unused by previous owner, had only done 2 miles when I bought it. This could account for the hesitancy at 6000RPM. It is like it hits a wall, seems like fuel starvation. Changed plug, and adjusted valve clearances, made no difference. Added some high performance fuel and Redex, and noticed some improvement. May blank off the SAI system at the cylinder head as it can account for problems such as this. Also strip and clean the carburettor. Possibly just needs to get a few more miles on it. Just bought it for a bit of fun during the winter months, was out past few days, temperature only 2 degrees!! Keep my Harley for the nice dry sunny days, not many of them, only managed 200 miles last summer.
    Thanks again for replying.

3. #13 Re: New Zontes Monster 
    C-Moto Noob
    An update on the hesitancy at 6000RPM. Swapped the main jet from the stock 92 to a 96. Now runs as smooth as you like. Goodness knows why it was fitted with such a small main jet at the factory. I also have a 98 and may fit it together with a cone filter. So anyone with a Zontes 125 that is not running as well as you would like, just swap the jet. Takes 5 minutes and costs about a quid. No need to remove the carburettor, just remove the 3 bottom screws holding the float bowl and remove it.
    Last edited by wellfn; 04-21-2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Edit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12