Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mv Agusta f3 675 or ducati 899 panigale for shanghai?! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey guys, I'm a new member on these forums, but have been reading the threads for a couple of years now.

I went into the Mv Agusta dealer here in shanghai a couple of weeks ago and saw that they had an f3 for sale there. The total cost of the bike is some ridiculous amount, but I want a sport bike. A few months ago, I asked about the 899 at the ducati dealership and the price was about the same.

I have never ridden an inline 3 or v-twin before, but I have a cbr 600 rr back in the US. I think the f3 looks a lot better than the 899. Which bike would do you guys think would be better for the city? I live in the city center in shanghai and would be using the bike to commute to work with rides for fun on the side.

Anyone have experience with these bikes that would be able to give some insight on which would be more desirable to have for city riding?

Thanks!

2. #2 Re: Mv Agusta f3 675 or ducati 899 panigale for shanghai?! 
    You must be kidding to consider any of the 2 for city riding.
    They are notorious uncomfortable, will probably overheat in an instant, and any small scuff or tip-over will set you back big bucks for repair.
    Not even mentioning the fact that any such bike will be stolen from you in an instant when left unattended.

I only have sport-bikes, including 2 Ducati's, but if I should have to commute in the city, I should only consider a smaller, more nimble, and probably very used smaller bike.
    Sport-bikes need to be in the open, not in city centers.

3. #3 Re: Mv Agusta f3 675 or ducati 899 panigale for shanghai?! 
    I sort of agree with 998S on thsi one, using a semi race bike for comuting coudl be a pain in the a** especially in China, but on the other hand it would make going to work a real pleasure. It is jsut he sort of thing I would do if I had to comute everyday :-)

I have not seen the 2 bikes so I can't comment on their finer points but I would prefer to be sitting on a MV Agusta. Something different, grear pedigree, exclusive and looks amazing.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

4. #4 Re: Mv Agusta f3 675 or ducati 899 panigale for shanghai?! 
    please, do not forget to add the plate price to the sales price. but hey! its fun!

5. #5 Re: Mv Agusta f3 675 or ducati 899 panigale for shanghai?! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Money wise, I am ok for purchasing even with the hu A plate.

I live in Jing an and commute to jinqiao pudong everyday so once I get out of puxi, the ride will be much more enjoyable.

One thing that does worry me, though is the bike getting stolen. I have a nicer moped now and that thing has not gotten stolen yet. My thought process was that it would be much harder for them to steal a much bigger bike? I mean, how easy is it to steal and resell a bike that only a few people have in china?

6. #6 Re: Mv Agusta f3 675 or ducati 899 panigale for shanghai?! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangtang6911 View Post
    I mean, how easy is it to steal and resell a bike that only a few people have in china?
    Naive? Or just not long enough in China?

7. #7 Re: Mv Agusta f3 675 or ducati 899 panigale for shanghai?! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Naive? Or just not long enough in China?
    +1

OP it's nice to have wants and needs, but while I can understand your wants and desires, neither of the particular models you're creaming over are contenders in my eyes. Only yesterday I was at a friends, new KTMR2R shop that is not officially open yet (another week or less), and in the display on the KTM side was MV Augusta and a Ducati corser. Nice, but not the bikes for China period.

Theft is a major consideration & impediment to my mind, search here on MCM - you can find a whole thread on the subject. There are also much cheaper and less exotic sport bikes available, including CBR500R (ABS), ER-6F/Ninja (ABS) (see my Thailand vs PRC pricing thread). Then there is a the servicing side of the equation. Both cost or parts and availability and wrenching expertise on the models need serious consideration and factoring into any buying decision. To my mind the heat alone would be more than just a burning contention, and I could not think of anything worse in the hot humid days of summer in stinking Shangers. I can however appreciate the romanticism of the notion. Perhaps a KTM Duke 390 with some 44HP and only 130kg or thereabouts might get your juices flowing, and at only 49800kuai... In other locations it would be a hard choice between the two models/bikes you have in mind, but only a seat of the pants dyno in the real world will tell YOU what is right for YOU and your situation.

KTMR2R NB 01.jpg

YMMV, and each to his/her own.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 06-13-2014 at 04:57 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: Mv Agusta f3 675 or ducati 899 panigale for shanghai?! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    My neighbour recently bought a brand spanking new Lambo to commute to/from work, in Beijing. For a short while, several years ago, I owned an Audi R8 in Beijing. After putting about 200 kms on it over almost a year, I sold it. It wasn't really practical, to say the least. I now use a Suzuki 125 scooter inside the city (for sale, if anyone is interested?!).

The point is ... buy whatever gets your juices flowing ... you only live once, and it is your money. Personally, I like the MVs, but I think the Duc will hold value better should you decide it isn't quite right.

And I think you can get theft insurance for the Ducs. Either bike will be a MASSIVE target for the thieves in China.

Good luck!

9. #9 Re: Mv Agusta f3 675 or ducati 899 panigale for shanghai?! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Life isn't all about practicality. Next time you guys see a 458 ripping through the streets, you should ask that guy if it's really practical to have that car.

The biggest concern now, I guess the biggest issue now is the fact that the bike might get stolen. What preventative measures do you guys take to keep your bikes for getting stolen?

10. #10 Re: Mv Agusta f3 675 or ducati 899 panigale for shanghai?! 
    What preventative measures do you guys take to keep your bikes for getting stolen

BEING LUCKY
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast