Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: tire preference

1. #1 tire preference 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    TMEC200-1-4_i3.jpg

this is the bike i bought, comes with street tires. they will do for basic off road though right? will drive mostly on road. can someone explain it in basic language - things like what size rims are best for on road vs off road. is there a good middle of the road tire, good for both on and off road or mainly one or the other? also, i see they sell whole tire and rim sets - is it a simple thing to swap wheels back and forth?!

2. #2 Re: tire preference 
    Your bike by the look of it comes with 17 inch wheels. 17 inch or sometimes 18 inch are ideal for on road use. You possibly can fit bigger wheels, but there isn't much point unless you really intend to do lots of off-road riding.

17 inch wheels are usually OK off road on hard pack or lightly loose over, much more than that and you are asking for trouble. Your bike has suspension travel and ground clearance to be able to handle itself reasonably well off road. For it to be able to do that you'd need more knobbly tires which will then damage on road performance. Think about this carefully if you intend to do 50/50 on off road go with road trail tires, 70/30 then maybe a more aggressive road tread, less than 10% off road then just leave street tires. Over 90% off road, then use nearly full knobbies (max road legal) and think about fitting larger wheels if you can.

Personally I just stick with road tires and go with a good brand, such as Pirelli, Michelin, Dunlop etc Then ride according to the terrain if I need to go off road, ut you need to be careful as the front can easilt wash out and tyhe rear can easily spin up.

What are your percentages?

3. #3 Re: tire preference 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    most likely 90 percent on road. but the knobby tires look better! is it a pain to change wheels back and forth if i buy a set of off road?

4. #4 Re: tire preference 
    Quote Originally Posted by footer View Post
    most likely 90 percent on road. but the knobby tires look better! is it a pain to change wheels back and forth if i buy a set of off road?
    I posted on another of your numerous posts that I have had great on-road experience with my 17/17 setup. However, my bike is pretty much only used for commuting (33 miles a day, round trip) on pavement. Changing wheels in general is straightforward, but not my favorite thing to do. I would not take my bike with the 17/17 street setup on any off-road terrain, but that would be for pretty much any bike due to the crappy desert sand terrain we have all around Yuma--four wheelers paradise, but even difficult for high-end 2 wheelers unless they have sand paddles. As ZMC888 stated--hard packed trails should be ok which I assume you would have in Wisconsin.

5. #5 Re: tire preference 
    C-Moto Guru
    I'd be really surprised if you manage to find 17-inch knobbies!

Enduro/offroad/motocross tires come in size 21, 18, and 19 inch. 21-inch are front, 18-inch are rear for enduro/offroad bikes, and 19-inch are rear for pure motocross bikes.

Hence, if you really want to put on knob tires, you'd have to get an extra set of rims/wheels too. Swapping wheels is much, much easier than swapping tires!

6. #6 Re: tire preference 
    17 inch knobbies aren't hard to find in China, sure they aren't very good and of course you want bigger wheels.

I think buying tires for their appearance rather than their performance is a terrible idea. Still, loads of people do it.

7. #7 Re: tire preference 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    thanks everyone, guess i'll stay with the stock road tires. then if i get into more off road eventually, i can buy another set of rims n wheels.

8. #8 Re: tire preference 
    Hi
    I run CST dual sport tyres (C7204R)
    Front .... 3.00-18
    back....90.90-18

Very good on road and gives you good
    Off-road , but compound is soft so back
    Will only last 5000 km with the fronts
    10.000 km check them out ...

www.csttires.com

9. #9 Re: tire preference 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    ok, i got a call today from the place where i am getting the bike. apparently they don't sell the street addition, just the dirt bike type. so ill be getting it with a 21 in front rim (will look like the pic, but in black), and a 18 in rear. the tires look very knobby in the pic, so I'm thinking ill have to buy a better tire since ill be mostly on street. been looking around, and have some questions. my specs say 3.0/21 (4.1/18 rear)- which i don't see a whole lot of choices for. there are a lot more variety that say 90/90x21 or 100/90x21 etc - wondering if that works too, or if the 3.0 vs 90/90 means rim size? thinking of a 70 on road 30 off road tire. also, what is the difference between 90/90 100/90 100/80 etc. And would i be better off buying an 18 in rim for the front instead of the 21? what advantages etc.. oh, and another thing, the tires also have (59Q) (58S) (56T) (56S) (51L) etc after tires sizes. what does that mean? last thing, tube or tubeless? do i have to wait and see what my bike has? first time bike owner so sorry if my questions are bush league. just trying to learn as much as i can. TMEC200-1-3_i3.jpg

10. #10 Re: tire preference 
    Quote Originally Posted by footer View Post
    ok, i got a call today from the place where i am getting the bike. apparently they don't sell the street addition, just the dirt bike type. so ill be getting it with a 21 in front rim (will look like the pic, but in black), and a 18 in rear. the tires look very knobby in the pic, so I'm thinking ill have to buy a better tire since ill be mostly on street. been looking around, and have some questions. my specs say 3.0/21 (4.1/18 rear)- which i don't see a whole lot of choices for. there are a lot more variety that say 90/90x21 or 100/90x21 etc - wondering if that works too, or if the 3.0 vs 90/90 means rim size? thinking of a 70 on road 30 off road tire. also, what is the difference between 90/90 100/90 100/80 etc. And would i be better off buying an 18 in rim for the front instead of the 21? what advantages etc.. oh, and another thing, the tires also have (59Q) (58S) (56T) (56S) (51L) etc after tires sizes. what does that mean? last thing, tube or tubeless? do i have to wait and see what my bike has? first time bike owner so sorry if my questions are bush league. just trying to learn as much as i can. TMEC200-1-3_i3.jpg
    The number is the load index and the letter
    Is the speed rateing

See link

http://www.bobjane.com.au/info/load-index-speed-symbol/
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"