Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Fault finding flow chart for charging system 
    My new-to-me bike was not charging the battery.

I googled on this website www.electrosport.com a nice flow chart that helps us, the mentally challenged, to diagnose the origin of the issue.

After half hour of testing I found out that an hidden connector between the stator and the RR was the culprit. A quick cleaning and voila the RR is charging the battery.

Here the link to the document: fault-finding-diagram.pdf

It is mainly directed towards japanese bikes (wire color code) but the diagnostic method should applied to all bikes.

Electrosport sells different electric/electronic products to repair or improve your bike. I'm not affiliate in any way with them.

Brice

A question to the engine experts.

Since the startor is back on work, I have also installed a new muffler bought few weeks ago. The bike is now more responsive and rev up to 10k rpm smoothly. I wonder if the increased perf is due to the muffler or because the ignition system get more juice (electricity) from the RR.

I am guessing it could be a combination of both. If the stator was really shot then it may have not been putting out enough juice to start combustion but that would probably be a very weak stator.

The after market pipes you can find in China are actually pretty good considering they only cost around 150RMB or so. I can't ever say I've had big performance gains with one in China but they sure do make the single cylinders sound better!

When you installed the pipe, did you change anything else?

CC

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    A question to the engine experts.

Since the startor is back on work, I have also installed a new muffler bought few weeks ago. The bike is now more responsive and rev up to 10k rpm smoothly. I wonder if the increased perf is due to the muffler or because the ignition system get more juice (electricity) from the RR.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Nothing else has changed. I have new spark plugs but not yet installed. I should certainly tune the carbs but never done that before and can't find good literature on the subject for a four cyls. Considering the color of the sparks I think some are too rich.

The few mechanic shops seen have no interest to tune the engine. It works that's good enough.