Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Checking the website Luis linked to, this looks like a far easier way to add an oil cooler. It looks like the oil is pumped out of the lower hole, into the cooler and returns to the filter cover. It also looks like the filter is pushed out by the rubber washers so that the returning oil has less restriction and can flow around the filter and back into the case. Is this correct? It would seem that a new filter cover from another bike that is thicker could be drilled and tapped to accept the return line. That way the whole side wouldn't have to be purchased.

2. #12 Re: Adding Oil Cooler 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi guys
    I read this thread, and I have some doubts.
    You are saying that the silver bolt below the oil filter cover has pressure, and its a point from where the oil will come out to the radiator.
    But inside the oil filter case there is the oil pump, so the pressure should be much higher here that in the silver bolt... am I right?
    I'm not a expert, but I think that in our's bikes, the oil comes out from the hole B (from oil pump), pass throght the oil filter and return to the carter by the hole A (see picture below). Is this right?

23..jpg 12..jpg

If it is true, that the pressure inside the filter oil case it's higher that in the silver bolt, if we link these 2 points with a radiator, the oil will go from the oil pump to the silver bolt, right?
    Another question: how can we garrantee that the oil will come trought the radiator and not just go to the hole A? can we close the Hole A? Does anyone knows where the Hole A leads to?

However, the Suzuki DF200 and the DR200 Trojan have the radiator hoses connected to these 2 points. I just don't know if that engines have a hole A or not.

Another thing, anyone knows what is the hose diameter and the radiator size of the Dr200 Trojan? just because if we install a kit with oil hoses too small we may increase the oil pressure in the system and the oil pump will go down soon.

Anyone can help?

Thank you
    Mario
    Attached Images
    Last edited by superfamous; 07-02-2010 at 03:54 PM.

3. #13 Re: Adding Oil Cooler 
    Super, check posts #14 and #17 here;
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...or-125cc/page2

They show two ways to connect this all up. Both do show that the oil starts at the lower, front of the engine (second picture in your post above, where the arrow is pointing). This is where the pressure is checked according to the manual. The routing is thus; lower pressure port, to bottom of cooler, out of top of cooler, back to oil filter housing. The return to the housing can be through the oil filter cover or through the side. Some of these engines have a emboss on the side of the filter housing that can be drilled and tapped.

Another note. I believe that the oil flows from A to B (in your first picture). When I did my first oil change I noticed the metal from the break in procedure was on the outside of the filter.
    Last edited by david3921; 07-03-2010 at 06:12 PM.

4. #14 Re: Adding Oil Cooler 
    oil definitely flows from A to B... so Hole A needs to be blocked, then oil is pumped from hole (2nd pics) to radiator, return to oil filter into Hole B.

5. #15 Re: Adding Oil Cooler 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi, sorry about posting on an old thread. I was thinking about installing an oil cooler on my motorcycle and I just need someone to confirm that I've got this right before I go ahead with it. So from what I can tell I need to drill a hole into the oil filter cover and connect one of the oil cooler hoses to that and connect the other to the hole under the oil filter housing, the part I am confused about is td_ref's post where he says that hole A in the picture above needs to be blocked but the thread ends here so I don't know if he is right or not. Could someone please confirm that hole A needs to be blocked and that it won't damage the engine or impeed the flow of oil at all?

6. #16 Re: Adding Oil Cooler 
    Hi Spencer. I haven't looked at this for awhile. But to answer your question, yes, A needs to be blocked. You can see the blocking ring in the above post #12. The person's index finger is touching the ring. Normally, oil flows from A through the filter to B. When a cooler is in stalled, it flows from the cooler return (top of cooler) to the fliter housing, through the filter to B.

7. #17 Re: Adding Oil Cooler 
    C-Moto Guru
    Ah so thats what that is. Cheers.

To save money I'm just going to get a universal one off ebay which is only £20 and attach it by drilling and tapping a hole in the oil filter cover, I'm just waiting for the useless seller to tell me how big the banjo bolts are. I'll have to figure out a way to make a blocking ring, any ideas on how I could do that?

8. #18 Re: Adding Oil Cooler 
    Based on the above pictures it looks like a gasket of some kind. Take a measurement of the diameter of the filter hole and see what they have at a store that sells plumbing supplies. It would have to be oil resistant, though. Type in 'plumbing gasket' in Google Image and you'll see what I mean.

9. #19 Re: Adding Oil Cooler 
    C-Moto Guru
    I've found just the thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GASKET-PAP...item19cdae3383

Now I just need to save up some pennies so I can buy everything I need :D

10. #20 Re: Adding Oil Cooler 
    Spencer, you might want to re-think that gasket paper as it doesn't look thick enough. Here's a better picture of the gasket2007611185138544_.jpg Notice how thick it is. It looks to me to be about 1/8" or around 3mm for the rest of the world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast