Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Good bike for beginner? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi,

i'm planning on getting a motorbike here in Shanghai. This would be my first motorbike, atm I just have an e-bike. I'd like to use it for commuting to work, weekend fun/trips out of Shanghai and perhaps one day going on a long trip across China.

Am not sure which bike is both suitable for me while also being suitable for China. I need something not too powerful, 250cc is about right. Other requirements are that is has ABS, because as a new rider and this being China, i can imagine situations where I could over break and lock the wheel up. I have locked the wheel on my e-bike before by breaking too hard and done a 180. My e-bike is a torque monster, 5000w motor, 5000w controller with 96v battery. I think a 250cc bike will feel 'tame' compared to that e-bike, since the e-bike has no gears and it's just full acceleration from stop to 100kph.

I love the look of the Yamaha YBR250, not no ABS. Also like the Duke 390 but i think it's a bit small for me (i'm 6 foot 1) and i don't think it'd be comfortable on longer rides.

All advice and suggestions most welcome. This is my first post here!

I'll just add i'm going full legal, as in the motorbike licence, insurance, registration. As for the licence plate, I went to a shop that sells motorbikes here, they had a small honda 150cc, a large benelli bike. While I was there I asked about pricing and they were offering bikes with licence plates from cities outside of China for quite cheap. I asked about the licence plates, and they said if the police stop you and you don't have the Shanghai plate, they will fine you 200rmb. They also said i'd probably only get stopped twice a year. Is there any truth to that? I have no idea yet. Better to spend the money on the bike than the 50k rmb A plate, but if recommended/necessary of course i'll go for the Shanghai A plate.
    Last edited by apoftelbrau; 06-23-2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: make post more concise