Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Good bike for beginner? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apoftelbrau View Post
    I saw the Benelli BN 600 in the shop, definitely 'big' enough for me. I'm not sure about the looks or build quality though. I was quoted around 45k rmb. But it just has a cheap 'toyish' look to it imo.

Much prefer this:
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...05&ns=1#detail
    but who knows if it is legit. For the price it should be though I guess. Again the seat height is pretty low too.
    Based on pricing of this example in link above and the other bikes listed by the TB seller, it would appear the bikes are legal. So add around 9% of listed price for tax, and allow for a few incidentals, then factor in your license plate price.

Quote Originally Posted by apoftelbrau View Post
    BTW if it was confiscated/tow by the police, any chance of getting it back? It was registered in my name/address with the blue tag etc.
    Yes, need to take your documents e.g. ID (Passport, residence registration etc.) and head to the nearest Traffic PSB closest to where the scoot was parked. If you have a local who can assist then that would be helpful. Might even be able to make a telephone call to find out... I have my doubts though, unless scoot was parked where it shouldn't have been.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

2. #12 Re: Good bike for beginner? 
    Hey,

Get a Kawasaki 250 ninja, with ABS for 42000 RMB. 32hp will help u never regret ur monster e-bike, while the bike is very forgiving, especially with ABS, perfect for a beginner.

It's a bit pricey for a 250 but u won't regret it. U'll get a decent part of that $ difference back when u sell it anyways.

Get a waidi plate for near to nothing, or if u got 30000 RMB to invest; (as it won't be lost since u'll probably sell it at a (small) profit in a few years) get a huC plate.

HuC is somewhat more tolerated by police than waidi plates, although if u play it cool and have ur driving license, waidi plate will only get u fined 50 RMB. Same as huC.

But if u got huC u're less likely to get fined more, while waidi plates fines can be severe at times, up to bike confiscation and recovery only to where it was plated, but that's the law and I never heard of any cop going through the paperwork needed to do that.

I have the Z250 (same bike but a bit stripped of fairings) and I'm 5.7feet, there's a lot of room behind me on the seat if I ride upright, so it will accommodate ur body and arms just fine.
    If ur knees are still a bit too close from the handles, they sell brackets to set the foot pegs backwards like 8cm, which will probably do the trick for u...

Now it ain't the best bike for touring China, but it's a great and sporty commuter with the bit of punch other 250's lack, while easy to control, and perfect also for little trips out of shanghai (Hangzhou suzhou ...) U will enjoy a padded cycling shorts for those trips...

If touring China is a bid deal for u, she can do it easy, but won't be as comfy as a YBR 250 after a couple hours. Also the Ninja is built in Thailand so any mishap on a long trip means end of the trip, while the YBR is built in China so getting parts will be much much easier. BUT, the Ninja's got ABS while the YBR is only 24 or 26HP, and is (at least) as reliable and lightweight... The GW250 is much heavier, for 26HP.

The Kawasaki shop is on Changning Rd, Songhong rd, at the North East corner of the Xway. Go sit on it and u'll know what I mean.

- - -

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    [...] reckon if you can get a Shanghai B or C plate and save your hard-earned. [...]
    I wouldn't buy anything Chinese or even a CFMOTO, Benelli or Loncin. [...]
    Hu B = HuA Hu E = HU D = Hu C.

Yea don't ever get a Chinese bike.

Unless from day one you want to spend all ur time pushing it, shoving it in taxi trucks, fixing it again and again to finally watch it collecting dust while u wait for new ordered parts to arrive and break two weeks later.

- - -

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    [...]The worst that can happen with a legally plated MC with the Hu C plate is the 200kuai fine. But, get any bike into your name... don't settle for anything less, as some of the dealers and sellers round the traps might tell you that plating in your name...can't be done. BS. It might just have to be in your Chinese name, if so then make sure that everything ties in, your DL, your insurance etc.
    ^ this ^

- - -

Also, yea the CB500 is my dream too, but don't buy a bike on taobao, it's already sometimes tough to get decent after sale service with shops, what after sale service can u expect from a website?
    Last edited by braillce; 06-30-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

3. #13 Re: Good bike for beginner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    Hey,

Get a Kawasaki 250 ninja, with ABS for 42000 RMB. 32hp will help u never regret ur monster e-bike, while the bike is very forgiving, especially with ABS, perfect for a beginner.

It's a bit pricey for a 250 but u won't regret it. U'll get a decent part of that $ difference back when u sell it anyways.

Get a waidi plate for near to nothing, or if u got 30000 RMB to invest; (as it won't be lost since u'll probably sell it at a (small) profit in a few years) get a huC plate.

HuC is somewhat more tolerated by police than waidi plates, although if u play it cool and have ur driving license, waidi plate will only get u fined 50 RMB. Same as huC.

But if u got huC u're less likely to get fined more, while waidi plates fines can be severe at times, up to bike confiscation and recovery only to where it was plated, but that's the law and I never heard of any cop going through the paperwork needed to do that.

I have the Z250 (same bike but a bit stripped of fairings) and I'm 5.7feet, there's a lot of room behind me on the seat if I ride upright, so it will accommodate ur body and arms just fine.
    If ur knees are still a bit too close from the handles, they sell brackets to set the foot pegs backwards like 8cm, which will probably do the trick for u...

Now it ain't the best bike for touring China, but it's a great and sporty commuter with the bit of punch other 250's lack, while easy to control, and perfect also for little trips out of shanghai (Hangzhou suzhou ...) U will enjoy a padded cycling shorts for those trips...

If touring China is a bid deal for u, she can do it easy, but won't be as comfy as a YBR 250 after a couple hours. Also the Ninja is built in Thailand so any mishap on a long trip means end of the trip, while the YBR is built in China so getting parts will be much much easier. BUT, the Ninja's got ABS while the YBR is only 24 or 26HP, and is (at least) as reliable and lightweight... The GW250 is much heavier, for 26HP.

The Kawasaki shop is on Changning Rd, Songhong rd, at the North East corner of the Xway. Go sit on it and u'll know what I mean.

- - -

Hu B = HuA Hu E = HU D = Hu C.

Yea don't ever get a Chinese bike.

Unless from day one you want to spend all ur time pushing it, shoving it in taxi trucks, fixing it again and again to finally watch it collecting dust while u wait for new ordered parts to arrive and break two weeks later.

- - -

^ this ^

- - -

Also, yea the CB500 is my dream too, but don't buy a bike on taobao, it's already sometimes tough to get decent after sale service with shops, what after sale service can u expect from a website?
    Kawasaki 250 ninja, actually that makes a lot of sense! Why didn't I think of that! +1

Actually I have a CFMOTO 650NK, I'm fairly happy with it, and it's been reliable up to now, minius a few hiccups, but I wouldn't buy one again, in fact I might even go for a Ninja 250 or 300 next time.

4. #14 Re: Good bike for beginner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    [...] I wouldn't buy one again [...]
    If u're happy with it then why?
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

5. #15 Re: Good bike for beginner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    If u're happy with it then why?
    I have long term trust issues with bikes like CFMOTO, that I don't have from personal experience with Hondas, and a lesser extent Yam Kawa Suz.

6. #16 Re: Good bike for beginner? 
    I understand and agree with everyone’s aversion to Chinese bike. However, I’d make an exception here: the Jialing JH600. I have logged around 40,000KM, mostly trouble free, on mine, all over China. If you are interested, do a search in this forum for either user Motokai or Milton to see it in action on various long-distance tours. Actually, Motokai is selling his for personal reasons. See http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...JH600-For-Sale.

JH600 is reasonably tall. Your fellow countryman too tall Barry owns one of those. It is fuel injected, which may prove handy if high altitude is in the card for your future riding. Its Chinese blood can also be an advantage, as its parts are only a Kuaidi 快递 away.

7. #17 Re: Good bike for beginner? 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    I understand and agree with everyone’s aversion to Chinese bike. However, I’d make an exception here: the Jialing JH600. I have logged around 40,000KM, mostly trouble free, on mine, all over China. If you are interested, do a search in this forum for either user Motokai or Milton to see it in action on various long-distance tours. Actually, Motokai is selling his for personal reasons. See http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...JH600-For-Sale.

JH600 is reasonably tall. Your fellow countryman too tall Barry owns one of those. It is fuel injected, which may prove handy if high altitude is in the card for your future riding. Its Chinese blood can also be an advantage, as its parts are only a Kuaidi 快递 away.
    True the Jialing JH600 proven reliable to a point also would suit a taller rider. It's not a case that buying a Chinese bike is a guarantee of buying an unreliable lemon, it's more the case that the chances are, sooner or later more likely you're going to be faced with a 'mechanical face-palm' than a Japanese bike, being that a Ninja 250 and JH600 are similarly priced enough and put out a similar amount of power, that if you were only really after a road bike without a touring desire, the Ninja 250 in someways is a more proven option, probably more reliable on average and with better resale. Road trail/tires and longer travel are pretty much not a good idea unless you are really going to use them. However the OP did say he wanted to tour, so yep, the suggestion definitely has some merit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12