Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Which of the low or mid-range scooters can fit a full-face helmet under the seat? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I'm looking at the less than $1200 scooters 100cc or more. It seems many of them can't fit a full-face under the seat which is a deal breaker for me. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I don't understand why those huge scoots like the Tao Tao 150's (EVO, Lancer, etc) have no storage space.

2. #2 Re: Which of the low or mid-range scooters can fit a full-face helmet under the seat? 
    Hey welcome to MCM.

Manufacturers will sacrifice FIRST on storage volume to achieve cheaper price at identical dimensions with competitors, it's when they realize they can't shrink it further that they start making huge scooters.

You have plenty options:

When parked:

- Get a scoot with under seat hook for helmets like that:Helmet_Hook.jpg

No one in his right mind will cut the chin strap and then stole a useless helmet.

- Just lock ur helmet to it with a small lock and steel cable:Helmet_Lock.jpg That's how I do myself. I think it's better as it don't scratch the scooter side nor exposes the helmet's inside to rain, just a minimum as u need to leave the visor slightly open for the cable.

When riding:

- Just do this:DSC_0026.jpg
    I couldn't find a picture online, it seems not to be a popular thing to do...
    In France I remember seeing many bikers doing it. No storage space at all on (some) motorbikes...
    Make sure it is well secured, with the chin strap fastened as tight as possible inside ur arm on the "back of ur elbow", whether it's a FF or OF helmet.
    Ideally ur elbow touches the helmet's inside padding, and u should not be able to fully extend ur arm, otherwise it'll slide..
    It works best with reinforced leathers, or any thick jacket. On bare arm it is somewhat cumbersome. Get a thick elbow pad if u don't use thick padded leathers.

Moreover it makes u look cool as it means u have a gf and drive her around and carry her helmet like a gentleman worried of her safety. Yep.

- Last option but not least, get a more expensive scoot and get more storage space, u'll probably get plenty other appreciable advantages too.

1800$ is mid range price for 125cc, Peugeot has one with FF helmet storage space under the seat, and OF helmet space in a front compartment above the headlights... I'd be u honestly I'd look into that range.

Those extra 600$ make the difference between a scoot that will need constant fixes and will die around 20,000 miles, and a scoot that will run 100,000 miles with nothing but gas, oil, air filter and belt changes, with plenty of storage space... Then u need to carry ur helmet on ur elbow only when packed up with 2 weeks groceries...

Go Yamaha, and u can't go wrong...

Peace.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

3. #3 Re: Which of the low or mid-range scooters can fit a full-face helmet under the seat? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks! Yes I would love a Kymco or SYM in that price range you mentioned for the peugeot but that just isn't going to happen because the closest dealers are hundreds of km away and I have never seen a used one. Yamaha is pretty much out, if I'm going to spend that kind of money I'll just get a motorcycle. They are very nice though.

I'm trying the TaoTao. Yes it may explode but I'm mechanically inclined and will do my best with the PDI and any subsequent issues. I never could find one that I knew 100% for sure that a full-face helmet would fit. I got the Paladin 150 and my helmet doesn't fit. No surprise really but the Paladin does have more space than some.

4. #4 Re: Which of the low or mid-range scooters can fit a full-face helmet under the seat? 
    Quote Originally Posted by sprok View Post
    [...] Yes it may explode but I'm mechanically inclined and will do my best with the PDI and any subsequent issues.[...]
    LOL haha, no I don't think it'll blow without prior warning...

Let us know how the Paladin 150 goes for u after a few thousand kms with a review and a few pics here!
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens