Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Anyone know anything about these?

http://gokartsusa.com/SSR-Lazer5-Moped-49cc.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-1geQ_Y64E

These are a true moped. They have usable pedals, though. I understand the pedals are geared way low. Electric, and pedal start. They have a low and high range lever for the transmission, similiar to the old Honda Trail 90. They top out about 30-35 stock. You can order one with a new 72cc kit installed from the dealer for a little bit more. They are a fully automatic trans, something like a Tomos possibly.

Here is one modded by a dealer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l6Aa4XkSxc

Obviously, it needs an upholstered seat.

Why would anyone mod one into a cafe racer style? There is no answer to that. In my state, with a real moped (49cc; real operable pedals; tops out at 30; automatic transmission) you don't have to license it every year (which runs about $90.00 a year). You don't have to insure it. You don't have to have a motorcycle endorsement. I believe you do have to have a drivers license.

Anyone know who actually makes these? I saw one youtube where that dealer sells in under the Bashon name.
    Last edited by birdmove; 07-01-2014 at 05:46 PM.

2. #2 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    Quote Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
    Anyone know anything about these?

http://gokartsusa.com/SSR-Lazer5-Moped-49cc.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-1geQ_Y64E

These are a true moped. They have usable pedals, though. I understand the pedals are geared way low. Electric, kick, and pedal start. They have a low and high range lever for the transmission, similiar to the old Honda Trail 90. They top out about 30-35 stock. You can order one with a new 72cc kit installed from the dealer for a little bit more. They are a fully automatic trans, something like a Tomos possibly.

Here is one modded by a dealer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l6Aa4XkSxc

Obviously, it needs an upholstered seat.

Why would anyone mod one into a cafe racer style? There is no answer to that. In my state, with a real moped (49cc; real operable pedals; tops out at 30; automatic transmission) you don't have to license it every year (which runs about $90.00 a year). You don't have to insure it. You don't have to have a motorcycle endorsement. I believe you do have to have a drivers license.
    /Anyone know who actually makes these? I saw one youtube where that dealer sells in under the Bashon name.

I remember seeing the certification on the EPA website at one time--they are manufactured by Bashan. I have actually seen one in Yuma. I am fairly sure the SSR brand would back them, considering they have carried these for a few years now. I guess that the licensing endorsement, and registration, etc. could be taken into consideration, but aren't 49cc scooters in that same category? You would definitely be in the 'bike' lane on the highway with one of these.

3. #3 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    In North Carolina they are called liquor scooters. No tag, no DL, no insurance required and under 50cc. Blocking traffic on the road.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #4 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Here are two similar, but different motorcycles.

This one has a 49cc engine also. No pedals. Automatic clutch with four speed manual shift. Cast wheels and exposed chain:

http://powersportsbest.com/moped-sco...ight-body.html

This one is similar to the one above, but has spoke wheels and a fully enclosed chain. 49cc, 4 speed manual shift, but with an automatic clutch. Mid rack behind the tank. This one has a different speedo thatn the Lazer 5 and the one above, with no tach.

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...106%7B10%7D108

The Lazer 5 has a fully automatic transmission. It's also the only one in this group that has bicycle pedals that you can ride it like a bicycle (though a very heavy one). It has an exposed chain. Seperate tach and speedo.

Interesting how similar looking these 3 bikes are. Price ranges from about $600 for the spoke wheeled one, to $999.95 for the Lazer 5. The Lazer 5 should be classified as a moped in most states. It even has fully operating bicycle pedals. The other two, I would think, would be classified as motorcycles. I think in most states a moped must have a fully automatic transmission. In Hawaii, the Lazer 5 may not quite make the moped class, as Hawaii, at least on paper, requires a fully enclosed final drive, whether chain or belt, and the Lazer doesn't meet that requirement.

So, why is an old motorcyclist even looking at these little bikes? Well, first, I like to ride period. Big, small, fast, slow, it's all good. Second, on the big island of Hawaii, we have giant shoulders on the highways just for pedestrians, bicyclists, and "moped" riders. Third, no insurance needed, no annual licensing required for a "moped". Forth, how about 100-115 miles per gallon? Fifth, in Hawaii, you are respected by your brother riders no matter what you ride. It's not like the mainland, where, say, if you ride a Ruckus, you are sworn at, heckled, and generally made to feel like pulling that knuckle dragger out of his old four wheel drive pickup and made to pay dearly for his abuse.

95% of my riding could easily be handled by one of these little roadsters. Just thinking out loud here.

5. #5 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    C-Moto Noob
    The only reason to ride a Lazer 5 is because it would qualify as a bicycle or "MOped". The motors are run very hard (red lined) all of the time. Valve inspections should be done every 500 miles. The take off power is almost hard to explain how slow. If you are 200lbs. or more we would suggest the 72cc big bore kit. They are very, very, very slow for heavy riders. The pedal power is geared so low that you can't really assist the take off either.
    We sell big bore kits, valve adjustment tools, upgrades CDIs, Carbs, Coils and even different size sprockets to help our customers with their Lazer 5 problems. We recommend test driving one before buying if you do not need a Lazer for "Legal" reasons.

6. #6 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    Hey Whygostock, is "Lazer's" clutch assembly (friction discs and plates, that is) the same as one in horizontals with manual and semi-automatic clutch?
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

7. #7 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    Those are too cheaply made to consider building on.

but here is an article on somebody that did...
    https://tomahawktuning.wordpress.com/

8. #8 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Hey Whygostock, is "Lazer's" clutch assembly (friction discs and plates, that is) the same as one in horizontals with manual and semi-automatic clutch?
    not sure what those have the video say high/low transmission.
    moped typically have one speed.

9. #9 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    not sure what those have the video say high/low transmission.
    moped typically have one speed.
    Screenshot from the clip you posted:

Horizontal_Hi'n'Low.jpg

If the "Lazers's" clutch could cope with more than 2.5-3 horsepower (so much pumps out standard 50 cc engine), I would not dismiss the idea of buying something like this. With some combining with bore and stroke, you can get quite usable two-wheeler.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

10. #10 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    C-Moto Senior
    The Lazer 5 has a low range and high range gearing. There is a lever on the engine case to operate. You have to stop the bike to do it. I think the low range tops out at like 20 mph or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast