Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    You would be better off starting with what is a motorcycle, if for legal reasons you cannot ride a motorcycle then making a moped an illegal motorcycle is foolish, could make a bad situation worse.
    A C90 would be a better starting point.

2. #12 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    I always end up back at a Honda 50cc Solo, I think its top speed is 40mph. I would like to see Honda import these to the USA and not as MOPEDS, as motorcycles.

3. #13 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    DIY "Solo" using CRF 50 frame and "Lazer"-look moped's parts.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

4. #14 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    C-Moto Noob
    The clutch is the same as the smaller ATVs. Here is a video with some other upgrades. Search "Whygostock" on Youtube to see the other mods to the Lazer 5.

5. #15 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    And so far, you didn't upgraded any "Lazer" to 110 cc?

6. #16 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    C-Moto Noob
    We did not think it would be cost efficient enough. Might as well go to a 125cc instead of a 110cc if you are going to drop the motor, split cases and replace the crank. It a bunch of work just to keep the pedal shaft. It would be easier to just install a crate 125cc motor instead. If you were going to do that you might as well just buy any Chinese made 150cc Scooter instead. Either way the motor is going to be run very hard in a moped application. The GY6 scooter motor is a much better design.

7. #17 Re: SSR Lazer 5 moped? 
    For 110 cc upgrade (or even for 90 and 100 cc), you also need to split cases and fit new crankcase, which gives 49.5 mm stroke (compared to 41.4 mm in 49 and 72 cc engines). If you are lucky, you can find rare enough crankshaft with 55.5 mm stroke and the corresponding cylinder with the largest diameter in these so-called "small bore" horizontal engines, 52.4 mm - they give 118 cc, but that's all you can get. Bigger displacements are different story.

Here, standard Chinese kit for that job, upgrade to 110 cc, consisting long stroke crankshaft, cylinder, piston set, head assembly, 84 links cam chain, longer studs and set of seals cost not more than half the price of the entire horizontal engine. I believe that a similar ratio is also on your local market too. It is circa 150 bucks, isn't it?

If you have an empty workbench and tools required, the entire job can be done in two or two and a half hours.

You are aware of difference between 49 and 72 cc, and I think that with a 110 cc, "Laz(i)er" would became a moped which would not be a danger on the road for his rider and other road users. Plus, engine would run easier, fuel consumption would decrease... In short: it'll run like a well-tuned "Tomos".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12