Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Thinking of removing your EGR Valve? Read this first.. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have been looking at removing my EGR valve from my Adrenaline 250 and looking online you get all sorts of stuff.

OK so it runs a little hotter (but not so hot that anything will be damaged) and environmental concerns apart I could not really see the point apart from some EU rule that tried making a solution to a problem before the engineers could correct it first? Even the manufacturers provide blanking plates so that tells you something?

I have heard lots of way of making this mod with all sorts of filters, cables, glue, epoxy resin etc.... but decided for an easy approach (see picture)

I bought the ERG blanking kit from Pulse motorcycles fro £2.99 and simply placed it between the exhaust and the EGR valve, this stops it from working and can easily be undone by removing it again, I noticed that it comes with a decent aluminium gasket and not the oil/paper type already on the bike, so if you need to change it back then it can easily be done and you should not need a new gasket. Plus you cannot tell that the mod has been made as everything is still on the bike... simply remove the plate (you can use the tools supplied with the bike) and everything is back to normal for MOT, not that it should matter...

I was amazed just how much exhaust crap was in the valve and pipework (my bike is a year old) when I removed the EGR valve big bits of black exhaust deposits had already clogged half the hole and some just fell out (the hole it only 3mm across at the exhaust end) it was amazed to think that this crap is going straight back into your engine (bypassing the air filter as it would soon block it)

Plus points,

(I run 97 octane fuel and have not changed any carb settings after the modification)

1. I have noticed that the exhaust sounds better.
    2. The bike ticks over far better.
    3. Pulls much better in all gears.
    4. Has more grunt when cold.
    5. Fuel economy has improved a little bit.

Basically if you are looking at doing this mod would suggest just getting the blanking plate (or make your own) and leave the EGR valve on, a simple mod that costs £2.99 and does not require any drilling or engineering skills and can easily be undone with no harm to your bike if you don't like the results...
    Attached Images

Banned
    Even a thick exhaust gasket without a hole is enough - easy to make
    EGR blanked stops putting exhaust gas back into motor so will run little better

3. #3 Re: Thinking of removing your EGR Valve? Read this first.. 
    I am curious to see the stock exhaust before the blocking plate if you can show that. If you don't have photos, don't worry about it, but I just wanted to see a 'before' and 'after' photo

4. #4 Re: Thinking of removing your EGR Valve? Read this first.. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by NZBrakelathes View Post
    Even a thick exhaust gasket without a hole is enough - easy to make
    EGR blanked stops putting exhaust gas back into motor so will run little better
    I looked into this as a first option but the back pressure and heat will soon eat past a gasket, also looked at placing an aluminium plate but i think it will soon eat past that as the metal is quite soft and with the hole so small it only has a small bit of metal to work past? so went for the the steel option and saved me all the machining and grinding to make one and only saving 2.99

5. #5 Re: Thinking of removing your EGR Valve? Read this first.. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Dont really have a before and after, i have posted another picture, the blanking plate is only about 3mm wide.. if you look at the picture you can make out the EGR Valve, then the metal plate (thats the blanking plate) then the gasket (didnt need one between the blanking plate and the EGR Valve) and then the exhaust bracket with the bolts behind that...

Hope that makes sense... it is very hard to make out but i think that is a good point?

Regards
    WasNotWas20140703_135002.jpg