Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Getting Legal in Jiangsu - Any Registration Agents? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey all -

To get straight to the point - I'd like to know of any companies or agencies that can help me register a bike in Yangzhou city, Jiangsu - or even in any other city or nearby province.

I'm new to the boards, but been riding around Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Anhui for the last year or so.

I've been mostly sticking to back roads and country lanes keeping out of the way and out of trouble - but with the summer here I want to venture a lot further, on a bigger bike and all legally as far as is possible.

I have a Chinese motor bike license so that hurdle is taken care of - and sourcing a bike is no problem - but I have one BIG sticking point with registration.

The city I live in - in its wisdom - has completely banned motorbikes in two of its districts - one of which I live in. A fact that is recorded on my DL and my work permit 'hukou'.

So - this means that no matter where I buy my bike from - I cannot get it registered and therefore cannot get plates and cannot get insurance.

I've tried bribing dealers to help me find someone who lives in an approved district and ridden all throughout the region to the various towns' Yamaha dealerships to do so (If I'm buying new from a shop - I'd prefer the YBR 250).

No takers.

Right now I have a few options...

1) Re-register my hukou to be in a district where you can have motorbikes and then buy and register one. Sounds easy, but is a huge bureaucratic melodrama that will use up all the goodwill and what little guanxi I have with Chinese officialdom.

2) Buy an already registered bike second hand and somehow convince/pay the owner to let me keep the plates - but sign over responsibility.

Both are less than ideal.

It seems an agency would solve the problem and do so in the easiest way. So if anyone can offer up some suggestions it would be appreciated.

I don't want to rush you all or anything - but summer break's been here for a week already and I'm STILL not riding my new bike all the way to HK. So, as you can see, it's already a desperate situation.

Cheers people.

2. #2 Re: Getting Legal in Jiangsu - Any Registration Agents? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ngali View Post
    Hey all -

To get straight to the point - I'd like to know of any companies or agencies that can help me register a bike in Yangzhou city, Jiangsu - or even in any other city or nearby province.

I'm new to the boards, but been riding around Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Anhui for the last year or so.

I've been mostly sticking to back roads and country lanes keeping out of the way and out of trouble - but with the summer here I want to venture a lot further, on a bigger bike and all legally as far as is possible.

I have a Chinese motor bike license so that hurdle is taken care of - and sourcing a bike is no problem - but I have one BIG sticking point with registration.

The city I live in - in its wisdom - has completely banned motorbikes in two of its districts - one of which I live in. A fact that is recorded on my DL and my work permit 'hukou'.

So - this means that no matter where I buy my bike from - I cannot get it registered and therefore cannot get plates and cannot get insurance.

I've tried bribing dealers to help me find someone who lives in an approved district and ridden all throughout the region to the various towns' Yamaha dealerships to do so (If I'm buying new from a shop - I'd prefer the YBR 250).

No takers.

Right now I have a few options...

1) Re-register my hukou to be in a district where you can have motorbikes and then buy and register one. Sounds easy, but is a huge bureaucratic melodrama that will use up all the goodwill and what little guanxi I have with Chinese officialdom.

2) Buy an already registered bike second hand and somehow convince/pay the owner to let me keep the plates - but sign over responsibility.

Both are less than ideal.

It seems an agency would solve the problem and do so in the easiest way. So if anyone can offer up some suggestions it would be appreciated.

I don't want to rush you all or anything - but summer break's been here for a week already and I'm STILL not riding my new bike all the way to HK. So, as you can see, it's already a desperate situation.

Cheers people.
    Personally I'd just buy a 2nd hand bike with a plate on it from elsewhere. Some smaller places where bikes are more common and police are less anal, shouldn't be too hard bot sure about Jiangsu, but Shandong isn't too much of a difficulty, just sign a letter and signing the bike over to you and absolving them of any responsibility. Ideally I'd find someone likeable that could for a small fee re-insure the bike for you on your behalf each year and post it down to you. Not the perfect solution but the best I can think of.

3. #3 Re: Getting Legal in Jiangsu - Any Registration Agents? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Personally I'd just buy a 2nd hand bike with a plate on it from elsewhere. Some smaller places where bikes are more common and police are less anal, shouldn't be too hard bot sure about Jiangsu, but Shandong isn't too much of a difficulty, just sign a letter and signing the bike over to you and absolving them of any responsibility. Ideally I'd find someone likeable that could for a small fee re-insure the bike for you on your behalf each year and post it down to you. Not the perfect solution but the best I can think of.
    Cheers ZMC - yes - I'm looking into that checking the classifieds here and on 58.com.

Good to know that option might not be as big a deal as I thought.

Thanks