Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Alaskas First CF Moto 650nk 
    Hello all,
    As the title would suggest, I'm lucky enough to be the first AK Cf rider. I also work for the dealer so I'm kind of the tester. Anywho I was wondering if anyone has any experience with how to remove the governor without a permanent attachment. I.E. can you plug it into a computer and delete a file then run. Any Info would be appreciated. PS so far at 500 miles Its been more ups than downs and that's a plus for me.

Also Im not 100% on forum in's and out's so if I posted this in the wrong place or did something off kilter I'll take my lashings, learn, and move on.

2. #2 Re: Alaskas First CF Moto 650nk 
    Hi Alaska CF, welcome to the forum. I hope you have a reliable bike, most are, but possibly failure rates will be higher than for Jap bikes. I have the same bike in China. If you look under the street bike section or the maintenance and modification section you can find more information on the bike.

I don't understand what you are talking about as removing a governor? Hope you can explain! You mean reprogram the ECU and run a different map with a different muffler or something?

3. #3 Re: Alaskas First CF Moto 650nk 
    Well thank you for your reply sir. I have/will run through the other threads. I don't know that its an ECU thing but its allegedly limited to 112mph, Although I've made it to 123mph, with most of 6th gear left, it just wont go further. I was merely wondering if there is a way to remove the cap and cause she gets to 120 pretty quick. So far reliability hasn't shown to be a problem only 500miles into it tho. Had a small gasket that was leaking oil from the power housing that was fixed and nothing else since. I did replace all the hardware I could with higher grade stuff after having to tap three screws under the seat.

4. #4 Re: Alaskas First CF Moto 650nk 
    I've never heard of the bike being limited to 112 mph, in fact limited by speed in any territory. The bike is limited by power in Australia for probationary license holders. Maybe an Alaskan law, if so ask about how other bikes are limited to get an idea of what they have done.

I've only ever been to an indicated 125mph (200 km/h). But in China due to the traffic density, that's about all I can do. I suspect that's just about the limit of a 650 twin, the 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650 on which it's based tops out about 125 mph too so sounds like no need to do anything to the bike.

5. #5 Re: Alaskas First CF Moto 650nk 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskacf View Post
    Hello all,
    As the title would suggest, I'm lucky enough to be the first AK Cf rider. I also work for the dealer so I'm kind of the tester. Anywho I was wondering if anyone has any experience with how to remove the governor without a permanent attachment. I.E. can you plug it into a computer and delete a file then run. Any Info would be appreciated. PS so far at 500 miles Its been more ups than downs and that's a plus for me.

Also Im not 100% on forum in's and out's so if I posted this in the wrong place or did something off kilter I'll take my lashings, learn, and move on.
    Are you referring to the NK and TR/TK models being governed so that they can be approved as suitable for learners or restricted drivers license holders (called LAMs in OZ?. If so then from what I understand, it is simply a mechanical attachment fixed to the throttle bodies (possibly throttle stop? though this usually applies to bikes with carbs)... remove and one has the full Monty AFAIK.

YMMV
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #6 Re: Alaskas First CF Moto 650nk 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Are you referring to the NK and TR/TK models being governed so that they can be approved as suitable for learners or restricted drivers license holders (called LAMs in OZ?. If so then from what I understand, it is simply a mechanical attachment fixed to the throttle bodies (possibly throttle stop? though this usually applies to bikes with carbs)... remove and one has the full Monty AFAIK.

YMMV
    The LAMS restriction is a ECU remap with smaller throttle bodies. He's referring to a limited top speed, however I believe he's already gotten to that top speed of 125 mph. It doesn't go faster I think, just air resistance preventing the rest of the rev range, possibly the TR has a higher top speed being faired.

7. #7 Re: Alaskas First CF Moto 650nk 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    The LAMS restriction is a ECU remap with smaller throttle bodies. He's referring to a limited top speed, however I believe he's already gotten to that top speed of 125 mph. It doesn't go faster I think, just air resistance preventing the rest of the rev range, possibly the TR has a higher top speed being faired.
    The best I seen on my TR is 210 kmh or 130 mph not tried with the Taller front screen
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #8 Re: Alaskas First CF Moto 650nk 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    The best I seen on my TR is 210 kmh or 130 mph not tried with the Taller front screen
    Hehe, my smart phone GPS says that 200 on the NK is actually 180. So your 210 is probably 192. Still quick though. Where the hell did you find to go so quick? We only have one road, and that is risking death enough at a normal 180.

9. #9 Re: Alaskas First CF Moto 650nk 
    I have a 2014 NK, So I've done some other research and that 112mph was advertised as "Top Speed >112mph[180km/h]" so I missed the Greater than sign, I think you're right about the wind/lack of top end power... I've got an exhaust and dual cone intake i'm working on, we'll see if that helps push her a bit higher. We don't have LAMS or limited power learner bikes in the US, we just hope learners are smart enough not to get a bike to powerful. Nice thing is "most" US bikers are more than willing to help you learn to ride and find a good fit. I had an 06 Ninja 636 that would do 150 all day long, I was just hope full the NK would keep up. Thank you all for your replies.

10. #10 Re: Alaskas First CF Moto 650nk 
    A Ninja 636 is 130hp and fully faired.
    A CFMOTO 650NK is naked and 70hp, that's the difference! The 636 is nearly twice as powerful.

Also they seem to get the stats wrong for the bike, half the time the quote the bike as having 60 hp and having a 112mph top speed, but I'm sure those are the Australian LAMS stats. Actual stats are 70 hp and 125 mph. Seems logical as less power means lower top speed.

Yep Americans seem to make a lot of sense when they advise people, and often get a Ninja 250 or 300 as a first bike, pretty much ideal. Although I'd include a CB500 or even the Ninja 650 an SV650.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast