Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: GD Dealer 
    [QUOTE=andre555;35254]
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    ... My other option is to import a brand new F800GS ...QUOTE]

Can you elaborate more on that, sounds interesting, if legal possible.
    What is needed to do that legally?
    What are the costs that on top of the purchasing price?
    Will you handle the issue or use a agent for that?
    Sorry to add my 2 Fen.

I don't think a personal importation would make it a lot cheaper, plus imagine all the red tape involved.
    You (or someone) must have an importation license for motor vehicles - not many do and those who have one will not provide it free of charge to you.
    The bike must have a technical approval, which is taken care of by the dealer - very difficult to obtain, costly and time consuming.
    Imagine the registration procedures without a dealer and all his Guanxi.

The only saving you would have is the dealer margin, which, most likely, will be eaten up by other "fees".

I thought about a private import several times but it always turned out not to be feasible.

But as we know, TIC, and there might be the one or the other opportunity to manage it.
    Andy

2. #12 Re: GD Dealer 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andre555 View Post
    Can you elaborate more on that, sounds interesting, if legal possible.
    Yes, it is legally possible.
    What is needed to do that legally?
    I'll have to go back and check all that was required as I made necessary enquiries about doing this last Aug/Sept 2010. The only thing that I recall that had changed was only new motorcycles could be imported into PRC, used/second hand motorcycles were/are now excluded.
    What are the costs that on top of the purchasing price?
    It works out to around to anywhere between 40-60% of the MSRP as determined by Chinese Customs.
    Will you handle the issue or use a agent for that?
    Something I'll work through as and when the time comes. Just be sure though that it can be done legally.

3. #13 Re: GD Dealer 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    [QUOTE=chinabiker;35255]
    Sorry to add my 2 Fen.

I don't think a personal importation would make it a lot cheaper, plus imagine all the red tape involved.
    You (or someone) must have an importation license for motor vehicles - not many do and those who have one will not provide it free of charge to you.
    The bike must have a technical approval, which is taken care of by the dealer - very difficult to obtain, costly and time consuming.
    Imagine the registration procedures without a dealer and all his Guanxi.

The only saving you would have is the dealer margin, which, most likely, will be eaten up by other "fees".

I thought about a private import several times but it always turned out not to be feasible.

But as we know, TIC, and there might be the one or the other opportunity to manage it.
    I hear you chinabiker, and I have my concerns too which is what has stopped me importing my own BMW I still have back in NZ. That being said though, a foreign guy imported his R1200GSA last year from his home country and he got it in, legally and plated etc. It cost him about the same value as the bike was worth.
    I also know first hand of a friend who imported 3 (yes three) Land Rover Defenders bought brand new, and then completely outfitted with everything needed to complete the journey overland from Germany into China, taking in as many 4x4 routes as possible. They were joined with a quite a few people and a couple of other vehicles including a Mercedes 4x4 truck/motorhome. Once the 3 Defenders reached China (on Carnet's) 1 Defender was sent back to Germany (by ship) as it had suffered roof damage due to a rollover, while the remaining 2 Defenders were then imported into China. They now have legal PRC plates etc.
    Granted it's complicated and difficult, but it's not impossible and in places like SH, one has to be a really BIG BIG fish in that HUGE pond, whereas in places which are smaller then it follows that the pond is logically smaller, then one doesn't have to be so HUGE to be a BIG fish.

That being said though, it will depend entirely if I can pick up one of the two brand new F800GS (full spec models (that a guy has imported from USA-NZ) and are at auction. Currently the bid price is well under MSRP, but I'm under no illusion given that the auction still has a week to run.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-21-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12