1. #1 The GVWR GAWR specs on these things means they can't be safely ridden 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    For example, my TaoTao Paladin 150:

The TaoTao web site states:
    G. W.: 300 lbs
    Weight Capacity: 350 lbs

However, the actual plate on the scooter states:

GVWR: 75kg (165 pounds)

The bike itself probably weighs more than that and my body definitely does. This exceeds the maximum weight right off the bat which basically means it can't be safely ridden. WTF? I'm wondering what kind of registration and/or insurance issues this could cause.

What are the actual specs on the plate of your Chinese scoot?

I'm still waiting on the MCO, will be interesting to see what it says.

2. #2 Re: The GVWR GAWR specs on these things means they can't be safely ridden 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    MCO lists the GVWR as 230 LBS. What a joke. Not sure why the VIN plate is different from the certificate. All of this is much different from their advertised numbers of 300+ pounds.

For those that don't know GVWR is the maximum weight of the scooter and everything on it (riders, cargo, fluids, fuel, etc). So it's either 165 or 230 LBS for this one. lol, completely unusable because the bike itself weighs that much or more.

Now I do realize these Chinese manufacturers maybe don't understand what GVWR means or the certificate is just printed wrong. I mean under "HP (SAE)" it lists 149CC . Maybe they are confusing Empty Weight (which is the weight of the scooter and typically the only stat listed on a title) with GVWR. Or maybe they are purposefully rating it very low so they can't be held liable when the thing breaks and crashes (you had too much weight on it will be the claim). Or I suppose it really could be an actual rating which would be
    Last edited by sprok; 07-27-2014 at 01:53 PM.

3. #3 Re: The GVWR GAWR specs on these things means they can't be safely ridden 
    I doubt it's some form of manufacturer protection against the actual (in)abilities of their product.

Seems to me kg numbers were translated directly into lbs without any kind of conversion, it would be consistent with the specs of my own scoot: 94kg to 244kg max for a 100cc scoot.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens