Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 new/(old) Videos from last Year Rides 
    I love making Videos and I love the good old Guy`s of Rock`n Roll and Blues. Sometimes it takes quite some Hours to find the right Music for the Takes. Then I upload it to YouTube und everything is fine (!?)
    Yesterday a Friend told me that not only the Video from our Ride to Simatai is "killed", the Ride to Huangshan Mountains was not running.
    Both Videos have had more than 500 Views, it`s a Shame!

Please, enjpy the reposted Videos without:

John Foggerty - the old Man down the Road
    John Denver - take me Home Country Roads
    Uriah Heep - easy Living

.....and Carl, in the Quicktime Movies the Balance between original Sound and Music is quite fine. After Processing the Music Parts have lost Clearness and they are not so loud anymore. (sometimes I hate Youtube !!)

Sabine,

Sorry for the late reply! The video conversion game is really a pain in the butt, esp. when trying to put video on different sources (private web page, youtube, DVD, etc.).

Youtube will compress a video file from an already compressed video file which needs to be under 100mb. The trick is to make you video file as close to 100mb as possible using the best codec for Youtubes conversion method.

The video and sound are always destroyed somewhat after Youtube mangles it but using certain source formats will yield less (or more) destruction of your work after the Youtube smashing machine. I've had very good luck with the DIVX converter (for PC) that allows you to set a maximum files size (say 99mb=bitrate x time) then it optimizes the rest while still allowing you some degree of quality flexibility between sound and video.

I've tried to submit several videos to Youtube that have first been compressed with the H264 Quicktime codec and they ALWAYS get seriously distorted (both audio and video) after being compressed the second time by Youtube.

I really wish someone would standardize this stuff!!!
    CC

P.S. - I really dig your taste in music!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 I am stopping NOW! 
    I will close my YuoTube Account in the very close Future. PLEASE give me an Alternatvie!
    since 2 Hours I try to find a Way to contact my Help-Groupe on YouTube, No way!
    4 Days My Account was blocked because of a doubious Videro from an unknown Tibetian Group, now 2 more Videos are without Sound. I have used "the Doors" Alabama Song and Roadhouse Blues!
    go to Bed now, may be someone can help me

Sabine (not so happy in China)

Sabine,

Because YouTube is so popular it comes under the scrutiny of many different industries. It is unfortunate, but basically they are the best option for sharing video as they can easily integrate into other web-sites and gets many viewers.

I'm sorry to hear about your videos with no sound because of the copyrighted music but the music industry is very particular and active in making sure no one uses their material, especially since 19 times out of 20 they don't even get a mention in the credits.

Since video is also with audio, professional standards dictate that ALL elements of a video should be unique and not-copyrighted...or at least NOT have a copyright lawyer working for the band or record label, if you get my meaning.

I love Roadhouse Blues too but fact is it was performed by an internationally known band and their music is copyrighted by a large company who pays millions of dollars to protect their assets. I know at this point it's kind of stupid but this is the situation for now.

Since the YouTube filters can't possibly know ALL the songs ever created on the planet, you do have other options.

One is to NOT use the whole song in the video and try using only clips. You don't really want to have the music constantly in the background anyway if you have some sort of sound track.

The other option is to look around for some local music in China. You can use traditional music or rock music. Sometimes you may go hear a Jazz or Rock band in Beijing and think they have good music. Spend 20RMB on a disk and ask them if it would be okay to use pieces of their song in your motorcycle video. Be sure to say it is not for money making and you will include their name in the video credits and most of the time they will be happy to agree! Also, you get to know and speak to some interesting people and may even find a reason to work with them in the future!

Video, even more than photography, require a person to be familiar with more than just capturing the images and editing on a computer. It requires knowledge of many many different creative arts which is what makes video so special. It's true that not being able to use copyrighted music is some trouble but there are some benefits to it like meeting people and having to listen to some new things for material. Creating a good video is not supposed to be simple and all this extra hard work is a challenge to our creative limits and will give benefits in the long run.

Sabine, it sounds like your video levels and expertise are getting ready to graduate to a new level. It may be best to decide soon if you're willing to take that jump. If you are, then do it with all your heart and pretty soon you'll find people calling you "Director Hartmann".

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

5. #5 You are right ! 
    It is Time to try something new and grow with the "Problems". I was very angry that Night I made the Post.
    Thank you for your helpful and constructive Words!

Cheers ! Sabine

C-Moto Not-so-Noob petedeuxwheels's Avatar
    Just watched the first of these two. Excellent. I really liked the river crossing!

Impressive stuff, but a pity you seemed to have so much trouble with your bikes. Over here (in Denmark) there's an importer who sells both the Russian and Chinese models of those bikes.

Cheers

Pete

7. #7 hey ! you are a lucky Guy! 
    you can watch Videos on Youtube. Since 4 Weeks we are blocked in China from YouTube. I`m not smart enough for finding a way arround. Once I followed a "Trick", but then my Internet Access was really bad for two Days. Thank you for your nice Comments! We love riding here in China and our Sidecars are not bad. They are Oldtimers, this is something we never forget. But we love them!
    Today I will post another Video from our last Sundays Ride. Crazy Thing! There was no Road available to go inside the Mountains. We tried for Hours and found Graveyards. They are different from our European ones, never seen this before, " in Reih` und Glied`", so strange.
    enjoy! and please, send some Videos from Denmark! we are courius too!
    Bye! ..............Sabine