Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 China Drivrs licence 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Folks,

just became a member of this forum.
    Hope someone can help me.
    I have a Belgian motorbike + car license, without any limitation, and with a clean record. I have been riding bikes for more than 40 years, ranging from 50 to 1500 cc.
    My current bike in Europe is a Triumph Tiger 1050.

Now I will be stationed in Shanghai for 3 years.
    I just passed the theory test in Shanghai, and happily collected my new CN drivers license.
    However, big disappointment, my E license (motorbike) was refused, because I am over 60 years old (61 to be exact).
    I could only get the C1 (car) and F (light motorcycle).

My question is now: is there any way for a foreigner to get around the 60 year age limit ? I work for a company that manufactures parts for cars and motorbikes, and my employer can provide documents stating that I need a motorbike license for testing purposes. So far nobody could tell me if an exception is possible.

My second question is: what exactly am I allowed to ride with an F-license ?
    Or, in other words: what is the CN definition of a light motorcycle ?
    Max 50 cc, or max 125 cc, or other ?

Hope to get some clear answers here. Thanks in advance

2. #2 Re: China Drivrs licence 
    Quote Originally Posted by Aad063 View Post
    Hi Folks,

just became a member of this forum.
    Hope someone can help me.
    I have a Belgian motorbike + car license, without any limitation, and with a clean record. I have been riding bikes for more than 40 years, ranging from 50 to 1500 cc.
    My current bike in Europe is a Triumph Tiger 1050.

Now I will be stationed in Shanghai for 3 years.
    I just passed the theory test in Shanghai, and happily collected my new CN drivers license.
    However, big disappointment, my E license (motorbike) was refused, because I am over 60 years old (61 to be exact).
    I could only get the C1 (car) and F (light motorcycle).

My question is now: is there any way for a foreigner to get around the 60 year age limit ? I work for a company that manufactures parts for cars and motorbikes, and my employer can provide documents stating that I need a motorbike license for testing purposes. So far nobody could tell me if an exception is possible.

My second question is: what exactly am I allowed to ride with an F-license ?
    Or, in other words: what is the CN definition of a light motorcycle ?
    Max 50 cc, or max 125 cc, or other ?

Hope to get some clear answers here. Thanks in advance
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Like you I am a old git as well 58 been here for 4 years And have just got my C1E which is for 6 years now that means my Chineses DL is still Valid for me to ride a motorbike to the age of 64? And all I was told at 60 years and older All I have to do is have a medical report done which is the same as the original one you Had to have when you done your theory test and then this allows me to ride legal To the age of 64 and there was no mention of I couldn't renew the DL after the expiry date? My test was taken in Shandong province . So I not sure if you have been incorrectly informed ? To be fair I was aware of the age Restriction with motorbikes at the age of 60 years but was not sure if you just Couldn't apply for one after that age but what I can't work out if that was so, then why
    did the traffic police issue my DL for 6 years and not 2 ?. I hope to still be riding late Into my late 60s and more . I fill so sorry for you have been refused a C1E and I would Not let it go , if it helps I can PM you a copy of my DL with my age and valid period and Maybe go back to your local traffic police office and ask why? But the one thing I am sure of don't let it go and don't give up , but TIC so good luck.
    Last edited by prince666; 07-19-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: China Drivrs licence 
    Hi Ard063, welcome to the forum.

Your reported difficulty in getting a DL came as a surprise to me, being a 65 years old myself and having been riding a motorcycle in China for over 10 years.
    I did some "Baidu" (the Google counterpart in China) on this issue and found out that the age limit of 60 is for the first time "application" of a motorcycle DL only (70 for automobile), while a license holder is allowed to ride until the age of 70, with the requirement of yearly physical after 60. Not clear on the rationale for this inconsistency between the age requirement of applying for a DL and driving one. I venture that this people's g0vernment is concerned that "starting/learning" to operate a motorcycle after age 60 is dangerous to your well-being. This concern obviously doesn't apply to you as an experienced rider, but I can see the hassle you may have to go through in order to get around this if possible at all.

By the way, according to Baidu the "light motorcycle" is defined as one with engine displacement of 50cc or less and the designed top speed of 50 kmph or less.

4. #4 Re: China Drivrs licence 
    The above post is correct.. 60 year olds cannot apply for D.L. if it is their first bike lic. in China.. although I did know a guy who somehow did persuade the City of Changchun to issue him his first Sidecar lic. at 60 and the top end requirement of 70 is in fact ..... true as well.....as well at the yearly Phy. Check
    LMMC/LAMF

5. #5 Re: China Drivrs licence 
    I know someone that can probably sort this our for you. If you are interested send me a PM and I'll forward o Information to you.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

6. #6 Re: China Drivrs licence 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Symon260z View Post
    I know someone that can probably sort this our for you. If you are interested send me a PM and I'll forward o Information to you.
    Hi Simon,
    thanks for answering to my question.
    I am very interested to get in touch with this person who can help me here.

I already did some looking around for bikes in China, and my choice would be the Zongsheng RX3.
    I saw it at a motorbike shop in Shanghai (Pudong, De Ping Lu).
    This bikes appears to have very decent build quality and comes with panniers etc.
    The price is right (20.800 RMB) and user feedback is quite positive.
    Looking at your list of previous bikes, I suggest you go have a look at this bike.

Thanks in advance for your help, Kind regards, Aad

7. #7 Re: China Drivrs licence 
    Aad063

I have just sent you all the details by PM, if you have any questions give me a call :-)

Symon
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

8. #8 Re: China Drivrs licence 
    Simply buy a 500cc bike and remove a zero from the side.

On a more serious note you could try to argue that your foreign license has been issued for many years so the rule doesn't apply to you. For any argument to be taken seriously you'll need the help of a senior police officer.