Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Need Loncin opinion 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi, my first post here.
    I am in the market for a couple of bikes (myself and wife). Not sure if we gonna like it or have time for biking so I see no point in dropping 10 large on a couple of Hondas or Kawi's. I have been cruising the the 'net for info on Chinabikes, but first hand info seems in short supply. Lots of "fan boyz" chanting chinese sucks etc but very little useful info.

I spoke with the Loncin dealer in Abbotsford BC. He took the time to answer my questions. Said he was able to get the bikes registered despite not being on the RIV. Along with the usual dealer stuff, ie regrets selling trashy brand x in the past, no trouble with these new Loncin machines etc etc. I have noticed the 900.00 USD ebay sellers seem to be extinct now.

My question is this: does anyone have any direct experience with these Loncin machines? I believe someone here took one for a demo ride in a parking lot?
    The dealer is asking 3300.00 CDN for a 250cc bike and 2400 for a 150cc.
    I don't want to be one of "those guys" reciting horror stories on ThumperTalk about riding for 20 minutes before parts started falling off the bike.

I'm not into motocross or jumping etc. Simple rides on FSR's and maybe some around town commuting. My last ride was a 1977 Honda XL250, so probably close to the same technology in these new Loncins.

Cheers

Loncin, kind of have a mediocre reputation, but they are fairly OK, my mate has had a Loncin 150cc cruiser for 6 years, its on it's last legs from abuse more than anything else.

The consensus is that the joint venture bikes that have a connection with a Japanese company usually make more reliable and better quality bikes, and are usually easier to find parts for, such as Qingqi.

There's advantages and disadvantages, it's lovely to be able to afford a new bike. But then is a 2nd hand 2 year old Honda going to last longer? As most Chinese bikes are pretty well dead in 5 years.

Also many Chinese bikes have old engine designs, so despite the displacement being 250cc or 200cc, they actually put out less power than their Japanese cousins. A regular Chinese 250cc engine will usually put out the same amount of power as a 150cc-200cc regular Japanese bike, worth bearing in mind.

Loncin have been improving, and some top of the line (chinese) bikes are coming with 250cc liquid-cooled Loncin motors.

One of the members here, Saga Canada, represents SAGA Scooters, who has some nice bikes, although the prices are higher, but they are on the Canadian "list" for registration purposes. Probably better warranty, too.

As ZCM888 mentioned, joint venture bikes are higher quality still. Konker sells the Quingqi 200cc enduro and motard, and those are good, tested bikes, as they are the same Chinese company that manufactures the Suzuki DR200, so you would be getting pretty much a Suzuki product, although the engines have some differences.

I tested it out in the parking lot, but how much can you really do right? They really did seem like a good bike though, I would not be worried about parts falling off in 20 minutes....

I would really recommend the qingqi bike rebranded as a Konker, you say you were in Abbotsford? Do you live here, or did you come out to check out the loncin?

You can check out the Konker, they have a dealer here in abbotsford on south fraser called rpm, and they were asking $2999, I believe, less then the loncin, though it is a 200, not 250... Or you could check them out in Langley, the distributor is setup there, right next to Holeshots old location...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I would really recommend the qingqi bike rebranded as a Konker
    Calcune...Thanks for the plug

My feelings are hurt Jim!..J/K.

Our enduro may be a little big for your wife but the 200 would be a great fit.And as far as quality goes...need I say more? We now also offer a full 2yr parts labour warranty on our products.

Check us out www.sagacanada.ca . Here is a pic of the enduro and the 200 at one of our bike shows this year. Sorry for the picture quality
    Attached Images

Hey now, I know you were kidding, but, I didn't say anything about you guys positive, or negative... You were already mentioned so I didn't feel the need to bring it up again ;)

I am only suggesting he check out all the options... I've seen your bikes, and you know my opinion, I didn't think I needed to bring it up here, but well, I think they are good bikes, but in my opinion, from my limited experience with both brands, I would choose the Konker/Qingqi bike, mainly based on the lower price, but also I really think they are a quality bike...

I've never ridden a Saga, or a Qingqi, but the Saga is very very similar to my Lifan gy6, with a different swing arm, slightly different plastic, and an unbalanced 250 vs my balanced 200. And I would choose the Qingqi over my Lifan if price on them was not a hinderance, if the Lifan was not significantly less...

I think the Saga may have better warranty but from my experience I have not needed it with a Chinese bike, and parts are cheap anyways, so that isn't a selling point to me, I think it is important to keep in mind, that CURRENTLY price is the main selling point of any Chinese bike. I don't find the Saga price all that competetive. The bike looks just as good as my Lifan, but I paid less then the Saga price, by a fair bit mind you. No offense intended, I have not ridden either of the other bikes mentioned (saga or konker), so by all means check them both out and make the choice for yourself.... You can check out Saga's down in Langley on Mufford Cres.

C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Jim:

No I am not in Abbotsford, I live inland in Christina Lake. The nearest dealers are in Kelowna, but the lower mainland seems to have the best selection. Unfortunately a 6 - 7 hour drive for me.

Thanks for all the info coming in though.

Cheers

We have a dealer in Kelowna

Out door Motortoyz

I had a friend when I was younger who moved there, and they ran a campground or something... Went through last year but we didn't stop...

10. #10 Re: Need Loncin opinion 
    C-Moto Noob
    I ride a Loncin. things you have to be wary about are the cheap stock chinese batteries and the flasher relays. best to replace the flasher relay with something solid state, as the mechanical one will break due to the solid engine mounts and lack of a counterweight. I've had personal dealings with this dealer... make sure you get the NVIS first... otherwise the guy will never get around to giving it to you... had to go back numerous times to try to get it from him.

interesting tidbit of info, my father used to be the regional dealer for Loncin, and set up that dealer in abbotsford to sell Loncins. They also dont answer their phone by the way.

if you have any other questions about the Loncin, just ask me and I'll try my best to answer.