Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Benelli BJ600GS early days review 
    Hi all,

With a year and a half of Shanghai under my belt, I have just re-started my motoring life in China. I know it won't be as easily enjoyable perhaps as western driving, after having about 15 years on European roads, but a life without a motorbike just isn't quite the same.

After a very smooth process of getting my license transferred to a Chinese one, I was very close to buying a Duc SR2 1000 Monster, when this suddenly fell through. In retrospect probably a good thing, as I now know more about registration etc, and that one wasn't exactly kosher. Moving on, I looked around for something else to spend my money on, and at reviews of the CFmoto on this forum, but ended up at a Honda dealer in Pudong, where I saw a brand new Benelli 600.

As this was the last one they had, it was reduced by about RMB5000, so now quite a steal for a brand new bike of that size. The test drive was a strange one for me; my last 2 bikes in the UK were a Suzuki TL1000R and a Buell M2 Cyclone 1200, and I had just come back from North Carolina, where I had spent 3 days on a big-bore Harley. So the 600 4-in-line engine felt extremely high-pitch, and lacking in the sort of torque I have been used to.

Still, the chassis feels nice and stiff, the riding position for my 6'5" is comfortable, and the engine is pretty smooth. The suspension also manages very well, even on rougher roads. Thankfully, the engineers have managed to create something akin to a 3-cilinder rasp in the exhaust tunes, which means it sounds more exciting than the smooth hum of what I think most 4-in-lines sound like.

I have still to put some serious mileage on the bike, but after some small trips through town, and a drive to Dianshan lake via Zhujiajiao, I am very pleased with the power and handling.

I'm planning a trip from Shanghai to Tibet on this in October, but will write about that later...

Mark
    (wechat=mblank1)

2. #2 Re: Benelli BJ600GS early days review 
    Well done I am sure you have made the
    right Choice , did the dealer have the new
    BJ600 GAS or sometime called the"GT".
    in stock as well
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Benelli BJ600GS early days review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank View Post
    Hi all,

With a year and a half of Shanghai under my belt, I have just re-started my motoring life in China. I know it won't be as easily enjoyable perhaps as western driving, after having about 15 years on European roads, but a life without a motorbike just isn't quite the same.

After a very smooth process of getting my license transferred to a Chinese one, I was very close to buying a Duc SR2 1000 Monster, when this suddenly fell through. In retrospect probably a good thing, as I now know more about registration etc, and that one wasn't exactly kosher. Moving on, I looked around for something else to spend my money on, and at reviews of the CFmoto on this forum, but ended up at a Honda dealer in Pudong, where I saw a brand new Benelli 600.

As this was the last one they had, it was reduced by about RMB5000, so now quite a steal for a brand new bike of that size. The test drive was a strange one for me; my last 2 bikes in the UK were a Suzuki TL1000R and a Buell M2 Cyclone 1200, and I had just come back from North Carolina, where I had spent 3 days on a big-bore Harley. So the 600 4-in-line engine felt extremely high-pitch, and lacking in the sort of torque I have been used to.

Still, the chassis feels nice and stiff, the riding position for my 6'5" is comfortable, and the engine is pretty smooth. The suspension also manages very well, even on rougher roads. Thankfully, the engineers have managed to create something akin to a 3-cilinder rasp in the exhaust tunes, which means it sounds more exciting than the smooth hum of what I think most 4-in-lines sound like.

I have still to put some serious mileage on the bike, but after some small trips through town, and a drive to Dianshan lake via Zhujiajiao, I am very pleased with the power and handling.

I'm planning a trip from Shanghai to Tibet on this in October, but will write about that later...

Mark
    (wechat=mblank1)
    G'Day Mark, welcome to MCM.
    Great that you managed to navigate the not so legal option. Places like SH are not worth the aggravation of riding something that doesn't tick all the boxes. You've done alright getting the QJ Benelli, though if the BN600GT or BJ600GS-A had been in store it might have been a worthwhile look.

Pretty hot time of the year to be riding for sure, but anything to get out of the large sand pit you're in eh?

Enjoy the ride, and once you've got some miles under your belt post up your impressions and RR...

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #4 Re: Benelli BJ600GS early days review 
    I've recently caught some online images of the GT version of the Benelli 600, and I have to say it is even nicer looking. I'm not a fan of top cases, but the lights, dash and amended tank extensions do cut a nice line.

Still, these are now listed on Taobao at a smidge under 50k, so that's an extra 15k to consider...