Now finally in possession of a motorbike, I intend to make a trip from Shanghai to Lhasa, and ideally back again, this September / October. Having done no serious driving in China, I'm wondering about lots of things - modifications, luggage, road-side repairs, entry permits etc, so hopefully the biking community on this site will be able to provide some good tips on how to prepare.

(I did get a little 100cc scooter from Hanoi to Saigon in about a week, 2 years ago, but Vietnam is just one of those places where you ignore everything about preparation - and rules, and see how you get on...)

Things to consider:
- entry permit for Tibet; only for the person, or also for the bike (like a "carnet de passage")
- mods; I think the Benelli will be okay with a set of allroads and some sort of luggage set... am I missing something?
- roadside repairs; puncture kit, standard toolkit, can of WD40...?
- maps / GPS; any good reliable GPS systems that can be recommended? Should you double up on map and GPS in case of trouble with the electronics or lack of battery power?
- tent / camping gear; this would give more flexibility for driving through, but is it really necessary?
- timing; how much time would it take to get to Lhasa from Shanghai? Google maps shows the route through Xi'an and down from the north as the shortest, which I find a bit incredulous. But then I have also heard something about foreigners not being able to enter Tibet from Sichuan?
- return leg; I have read a lot here about how practical it can be to get your bike on the train and fly home, so the idea of only riding back to, say Chengdu, might be quite appealing after having weathered the storm. Has anyone tried to ship this connection of cities before?

I am starting to get excited about the idea of some snaking mountain passes, fresh air and scenic views, but I am aware that all that can fade quickly when things turn out differently than expected...

Thanks!
Mark