Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hello

1. #1 Hello 
    Hey guys, my name is Jake. I just thought I would say hello. I came across MCM a couple days ago while searching for information on getting a license. I've been using www.chinese-driving-test.com and getting 90%+ every time, so thanks guys. I'll start trying to get my C1D license as soon as I get my passport and new residence permit next week.

I was wondering if you guys have any advice on getting a bike. As much as I'd love to get a Harley Street Glide or something, it just isn't in my budget (or anywhere near it). I was looking for something domestically manufactured in the 250cc+ range that won't break the bank. It would mostly be for a 20 minute commute, but I would also like to be able to get on the expressway and get ran over, and maybe do some (2 up) touring when the weather is nice. I know you need to be careful with taobao, but it looks like there are several choices around 10k. The little bit of info I can find from English language searches are total ripoffs or on exporting.

I just wanted to say thanks again to (nearly) everyone from the Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License sticky, and any advice/comments/suggestions on cheap but reliable (if that's even possible from a Chinese manufactured machine) is greatly appreciated.

Jake

2. #2 Re: Hello 
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw006 View Post
    It would mostly be for a 20 minute commute, but I would also like to be able to get on the expressway and get ran over, and maybe do some (2 up) touring when the weather is nice.
    Hey Jake,

Expressways are not allowed for any motorbikes, no matter how powerful. It is something that frustrates most bikers you speak to, although I understand that some people use them at night or early mornings to cover some distance...

Mark

3. #3 Re: Hello 
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank View Post
    Hey Jake,

Expressways are not allowed for any motorbikes, no matter how powerful. It is something that frustrates most bikers you speak to, although I understand that some people use them at night or early mornings to cover some distance...

Mark
    Thanks Mark. I meant to say highway, or any road able to travel at a high rate of speed. I've been here (not riding/driving) for a few years and am still getting used to the road terminology.