Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: China > France (Spring 2015) 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    A ATA Carnet is a Customs document that provides for tax free importation/travel (free from any import duties and local taxes) of goods, products including vehicles through member/participating countries.

The Carnet means that the owner of the vehicle must pay an amount as prescribed to a competent authority/organisation (for vehicles, this competent authority or organisation is usually a motoring association or similar in the vehicles domiciled country of registration), with the monies held by that authority/organisation on the owners behalf in a 'escrow' type account.

The money essentially becomes a bond in exchange for documents, declaration, vouchers etc which are used in the countries detailed prior. The bond is only refunded when the vehicle has been returned/reimported back to the domiciled country within the specified period from whence it came (usually 12 months), all documents, custom seals are intact, and there are no claims against the carnet by any member country etc. There are about 73 participating countries. The vehicle must be exported out of the countries visited and returned to the home country within the prescribed period otherwise all duties and taxes become payable on the vehicle, extensions can usually be organised as needed, up to a maximum period of an additional 12 months (at least that was the way it used to be).

I used a Carnet decades ago with a motorcycle (NZ-OZ-NZ), but not for PRC. AFAIK PRC only allow the use of Carnet's for fairs and exhibitions, and there are no provisions for issuing 'Carnet's' from within PRC to the best of my knowledge. A Carnet is not needed for most if not all the bordering countries to PRC, including a few that don't e.g. Thailand. This means that legally plated & registered vehicles are able to cross into neighbouring territories without the need for a Carnet. How one might fair for countries further afield in such circumstances - who knows.

ATA Carnet Federation
    International Chamber of Commerce
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-06-2014 at 12:11 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

2. #22 Re: China > France (Spring 2015) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    So it means, need to bring back the bike to China to get back your deposit. Thats completely absurd...
    Thats a big obligation if its true :(

3. #23 Re: China > France (Spring 2015) 
    Quote Originally Posted by JulienR View Post
    So it means, need to bring back the bike to China to get back your deposit. Thats completely absurd...
    Thats a big obligation if its true :(

Are carnet available for Chinese bikes
    which are leaving China !!!

Just to chip in with bike from outside
    China !! The duty is 20.000 rmb for bikes
    And 50.000 rmb for cars to be paid
    In advance to the Chinese customs office
    With a entry date and a exit date
    Failure to leave before or on the exit date
    You loss your deposit
    One way to bring a HD bike in and
    Keep it here and save some money
    On real duty !!!
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

C-Moto Guru
    I hope you will make the trip, People in polish chinese motorcycle Club deklare to go with you truogh Poland.

5. #25 Re: China > France (Spring 2015) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Guys,

2 german guys are on their way to Germany. You can follow their trip here : http://monkeykings.jimdo.com

Awesome picture and trip....They just left China yesterday and no problem with customs...So forget about the ATA CARNET and so on...

6. #26 Re: China > France (Spring 2015) 
    Quote Originally Posted by JulienR View Post
    Hi Guys,

2 german guys are on their way to Germany. You can follow their trip here : http://monkeykings.jimdo.com

Awesome picture and trip....They just left China yesterday and no problem with customs...So forget about the ATA CARNET and so on...

Well done have a great trip i don't think people said you need ATA Carnet to "get out" of China with your Chinese plated bike but will come into play at other borders crossing i am sure !
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #27 Re: China > France (Spring 2015) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Interesting page, are you tied into the spring time frame? I'm thinking of heading back to Europe late next year too, leaving from Shenzhen... I've currently got a YBR250 but I'm looking for something bigger to do this trip.. Not to keen on the Shinray, got some bad feedback from a quality point of view and for this length of a trip, you need a solid machine, I'd love to find an Honda Africa twin or BMW650/800GS....

Noel
    Wechat: NoelieK

8. #28 Re: China > France (Spring 2015) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Interesting page, are you tied into the spring time frame? I'm thinking of heading back to Europe late next year too, leaving from Shenzhen... I've currently got a YBR250 but I'm looking for something bigger to do this trip.. Not to keen on the Shinray, got some bad feedback from a quality point of view and for this length of a trip, you need a solid machine, I'd love to find an Honda Africa twin or BMW650/800GS....

Noel
    Wechat: NoelieK
    Just added you on wechat.
    BMWGS will be the perfect bike - I do agree....in term of timing I will definitively be waiting warmer temperatures , so April is the plan. What are your dates ?
    I am more and more thinking of equipped my current Benelli with few off road touch to be able to be out of the track sometimes .

9. #29 Re: China > France (Spring 2015) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Trip is 80% confirmed for April 2015 departure ! Thats the good news !

2 bikes : Benelli BJ 650cc and Kawa Z1000

Now we need to work on bikes modification and most important getting our waidi plate in the coming months.

Will try to post some pictures regarding the workshop modifs...

10. #30 Re: China > France (Spring 2015) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    hi vivacity, my wechat is noeliek and would love to be added to the their wechat group... have been keeping an eye on their progress online and on there instargram!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast