Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 In the Market for a Scooter 
    I am looking for a 150 - 250cc scooter within 20,000 yuan (plates not included), new.
    The scooter will be used for winter riding and city commute. No rough roads, no curb jumping.
    Any suggestions, guys?
    I'd prefer something with spacious seat, since I would like to be able to take a pillion once in a while.
    Recommendations, suggestions, criticism all appreciated!

Steve

2. #2 Re: In the Market for a Scooter 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I have a couple of Suzuki Neptune scooters (both 125cc), which have been flawless across a total of about 25,000 kms (95% city). I have heard that Suzuki has just introduced a 150cc version, although I have not yet seen one.

Although I have not personally owned a Like 180, I know a couple of people who have and they have not been satisfied with reliability. I have also heard that the Benelli 250cc scooters have quality issues, and are not very good at nipping in/out of heavy city traffic.

The Yamaha scooters are supposed to be quite good, but I have only come across the 125s. I don't know if they make larger ones in China.

3. #3 Re: In the Market for a Scooter 
    Does Znen sell domestically, or are they import only? This is a BMS scooter which are OEM'd by Znen, and was even bought used, but seems more than reliable...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988742

4. #4 Re: In the Market for a Scooter 
    Lao Jia Hou, no doubt in Suzuki's reliability. Had a Suzuki EN-150 myself - zero problems. Still I don't like Neptune's design a bit. In fact I was looking at CFMoto JetLux and Benelli Silverblade, but both have negative reviews and I'm kind of cautious buying one.
    I personally prefer the seating position on a JetLux - Benelli just feels a bit too cramped. Still I have a CFMoto 650 NK and electrical problems have been there for quite a long time. Not sure if I want to invest in a CFMoto again.
    Read a lot of stuff about CFMoto JetMax (bikerdoc's posts mainly) and would've probably bought that one, but my wife says she's not comfortable with her legs against the rear fairings.
    On the side note, Benelli dealer here in Nanjing promised an "upgraded version" of their 250cc scooter for 2014. The upgraded scooters were supposed to arrive last week - yet they aren't their and nobody knows if they will be there any time soon. Besides, what the "upgrade" is, nobody knows, including the dealership official mechanic. So that might be just a sales trick. Read that those Benelli had leaky water pumps as well...
    As for a 180cc Kymco, my wife detests the looks of that scoot and I find it way too small and feminine.
    I also checked Peugeot CityStar 200i. That's a pretty nice scoot, but spare parts availability is zero. Taobao has nothing and a month's wait for the overpriced parts from the dealer is not an option at all. It also comes at 26800 yuan, which I believe is too much to ask for it.
    So far I haven't made a decision yet.

culcune, those scooters are export only, so they aren't available here in China...
    Last edited by Steve_Halt; 08-13-2014 at 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling was against me today

5. #5 Re: In the Market for a Scooter 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hey Steve, when it comes to the 250cc range of scoots there aren't too many choices worhty of consideration IMO. Kymco exciting 250 (MSRP 45K), or even the 400 (MSRP 79K, with ABS!), hell you could go for the big daddy Myroad 700i (MSRP 100K versus BMW C650GT MSRP 135K or Suzuki Burgman 650 MSRP 155K+), all plus tax I might add. Other than those, you have covered the others that are worthy contenders, though there are other China made choices, just not for my money.

A couple of my friends have the Benelli Silverblades, nice looking except for the top part of the front fairing/screen combo - very European styling cues there. Not to my liking. Also, while the ride is smooth, the riders triangle space is a little on the cramped side - good for those of short stature among us.

Both my friends Silverblade's have had issues, water pumps and tranny's. Doesn't help that the so called 'dealer' over filled one of the scoots with oil and on one trip after the scoot had been collected from the stealership workshop the day of the trip in question, the particular Silverblade was pissing out oil from the swingarm mounted air box at every stop - I'm not talking about just a drop or two either. It finally settled down after a whole day... must have been 500mL overfill. It was ridiculous. As for the Silverbalde -who knows what the upgrades might be. I know of a couple of foreigners working for QJ-Beneilli and they won't or aren't falling over themselves to buy any of the QJ-Benelli models - despite one of them being in the market for a new bike. That tells me something!

The CFMoto Jemtax - I've had a good run really, a friends one - not so much, but then he treats his Jetmax as though it was a regular motocross bike, so to my mind all his issues are fairly much self inflicted. No pity here.

(Hell I just wrote several more paragraphs to this reply but farkin lost it all when attempting to update this post!! arghhh!).
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-14-2014 at 06:51 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #6 Re: In the Market for a Scooter 
    Continuing on...
    A local certified CFMoto mechanic who had a CFMoto CF150T-VIP Fashion - heavily modified, bought a new Jetlux when they were first released. About a half-a-dozen guys in his riding circle, many of whom had Jetmax's also bought Jetlux's at that time. AFAIK, neither the Jetmax's nor Jetlux's had any significant problems. Both models share the engine and tranny. There's lots of styling to like on the Jetlux IMO, but somethings are more form over function. The front fairing (tupperware) profile on the Jetlux is narrower and less protecting from the elements than the Jetmax's. The Jetlux screen sits too low and one is exposed to a face full of air, which with major air quality issues in a majority of built up areas and cities here is a major issue IMO. The local mechanic friend, fabricated up a frame that shifted/raised the screen ~5cm on his Jetlux - and it was obvious. The Jetlux two part seat desgn is nice in concept but the storage layout underneath is a bit funky - not clean or as deep as it is on the Jetmax. Stowing bigger items takes some creative ninja origami skills! The split seat rear hinge means that one has to be creative in fabricating a rear luggage rack. Mechanic friend made one, but it was an obvious addition and more function over form. The Jetlux has smaller 13' wheels which provide a less than stellar ride on anything less than smooth surfaces and is in contrast to the Jetmax's 15" front and 14' rear rim sizes.

I had a CF250T-VIP Fashion export model which was 30% premium over the domestic market model. I liked it aside from the smaller 13" wheels and the top end limited to 110km/h on a good day, though it would sit on a 100km/h indicated without issue. But the storage, comfortable seat (rider and pillion) with the rear trunk and top box real estate - plenty of space for carrying 'stuff'' added to that was the 4 speaker & stereo and I can understand those that luv the ride. It's a Honda Helix clone, which has a cult like following all over the world. Butt (male butt!) ugly style wise, but a great scoot despite this. I sold mine to make way for the Jetmax. Now if I could roll the two (Jetmax and Fashion) into one... it'd be a winner. I'd say consider a 250cc Fashion, despite the smaller wheel size (which means one doesn't ride/sit as high in the traffic), 'cause the ride is really comfy, and with the addition of the CFMoto top box - provides the pillion a really nice pillion riding triangle. The riders triangle is also nice.

As I see it both the Jetmax and Jetlux which share the same power train, have been round long enough now, for most of the kinks and bumps to be worked through, so should be worthy contenders. Both offer something the other doesn't. I prefer the Jetmax over the Jetlux, though I like the overall styling cues of the Jetlux more. From an entirely form over function perspective the Jetlux ticks those boxes, but for function over form, then I give the nod to the Jetmax. Pulling all of the strengths from both scoots- CFMoto would be onto a winner. The Jetlux is only for the local domestic market too AFAIK.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-14-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    - Pablo Picasso

7. #7 Re: In the Market for a Scooter 
    I've seen the Peugeot model scoots at a stealership in Taizhou. Again European styling cues, which don't ring my bell(s), and for the MSRP, I'd go cold turkey and save up some more moolah, and splash out on a Taiwanese Kymco... either the Exiciting 250 or 400. The Taiwan Kymco scoots are all that and more IMO (I've seen and ridden a few here, both various Xciting models and two Myroad 700's), and it's evident when comparing the plastics used, and the overall build quality. None of the local production scoots are at the same level IMO.

YMMV.
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: In the Market for a Scooter 
    What about taobao? I'm strongly considering getting a bike from these sellers, but they have http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...p14113203d51b4 in 150-250cc with plenty of options. I have no experience with scooter, and have only chatted with the customer service reps, but they seem legit. Might be worth checking it out.

9. #9 Re: In the Market for a Scooter 
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Halt View Post

culcune, those scooters are export only, so they aren't available here in China...
    That's a shame--I encourage you to read through the ride report. A father and son, one on a 150cc Znen scooter and the other on a Skyteam CT70 clone with the 125cc engine rode them from San Francisco to New York City. The Skyteam was bought brand new, but the Znen was bought for $100! It only needed a battery and it started up, and the only issue was the starter went bad after having covered most of the ride with it working (it seems the Znen scooters don't have back-up kick starters like other GY 6 scooters, at least here in the US for some reason). Anyway, none of this helps the cause of finding a scooter in China, but I still found the thread interesting as to what Chinese bikes can do!

10. #10 Re: In the Market for a Scooter 
    Are Taiwan Golden Bee scooters available in China? The distributor, who I have become friends with, and a de facto test rider of the TMEC 200 enduro they carry, Excalibur, out of California is supposed to start carrying that line of scooters (finally moving away from Chinese bikes ) so I was wondering if anyone has had experiences with that brand? If they are available in China, would you consider one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast