bikerdoc, thanks for the info! Actually you have summed up all the things that I have been researching these days. Yes, Benelli does have problems. CFMoto does sound more reliable. I'm not even thinking about RiYa Adonis. As for Kymco 250, it's pretty hard to get that one here. Like, there is a dealer in Nanjing alright. They are legit alright. They just never have them in stock! Ordering one puts you on a half-a-year-long waiting list.
Have a question for you: what would you say about this new Linhai 400? Some Chinese forums state that they're using some sort of a Yamaha engine, not exactly sure if it is true though. I like it how it is big and all that, besides, it seems like Linhai have been around forever - they have sure had time to make a decent engine.

jdw006, I'd rather not get a legal scooter off of taobao for quite a few reasons. First, all the paperwork and government taxes. Those should be properly done and paid and what not to get the plates. Second, dealerships provide plating service, which is super useful in a city, where the bikes have been "forbidden" for well over 5 years now. Third, I'd want to touch it before I buy it. You know, sit on it, that stuff.

culcune, I think I read that ride report you mentioned - stumbled upon it through searching for the info on the Skyteam offerings. As for the Golden Bee - no luck in PRC either...