Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi guys, I just finished my motorcycle course while home in the states and got my motorcycle endorsement, now i can finally have it converted to a chinese license and buy a bike!

I'm hoping to stay legit and get a 京B plated bike, however, it seems like my options are very limited, especially given i want to get something relatively small.

Currently, the only bikes i know for sure which are sold here in beijing that fit my bill are:

Kawasaki Ninja 250 (I'm not even certain they sell the new 300s here in Beijing)
    KTM 390 Duke

and... that's it! I called up the Honda dealership asking about the cbr250r, but they said they don't sell small bikes and that any i see are imported illegally. Sadly, i was really hoping to buy a Honda Grom, as i'd done most of my riding on that during my course. Another bike i've been interested in, but haven't been able to find legally in Beijing is the yamaha yzf-r15 or 25.

If anyone has any tips or pointers on where I could potentially find small sports bikes in Beijing, that would be most appreciated and helpful! I'm not really the type to buy something new as i hate that initial depreciation hit motor vehicles take, but it seems like 1/100 bikes i find are legit, so i may need to buy from a dealer for once, but sadly, it seems like my options are even more limited when i try to go legit...

Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful, i don't mind chasing leads! :)

Felix

2. #2 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    I think the KTM 390 would be a very good investment. Honestly the way some people prattle on is that big bikes equal death, but really if you like you can easily ride a 600 or 1000cc like a 125 if you are woman enough! It's just the extra weight lesser fuel economy and cumbersomeness that are the honest drawbacks.

The 390 has enough balls to keep you occupied for few years, yet is very light for its size so shouldn't cause too many problems and economy would be good and parts should be available in a relatively shorter period as the bikes are assembled in China with CFMOTO these days.

If you are determined to go small the Sundiro Honda CBF150 is a nice reliable bike, and I also think there is no need to be afraid of a Honda CB500, for the same reasons as the KTM. However I'm sure someone else could help you get a CBR250 if that's the bike you really want. But because it's a single you will probably get bored of it way before a Ninja 250.

If you are mainly commuting go for the 150 or 250, if you want to ride out of town and escape to the mountains for weekend blasts then the 500 or 390, although nothing wrong with the Ninja either.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 08-27-2014 at 01:04 PM.

3. #3 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Honestly with a new license and new to biking I would buy an Ebike and get used to the way the local drive and the traffic flows. also if you are new to biking you may drop the thing a couple times... on an ebike it won't hurt the wallet so much...

4. #4 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Hok View Post
    Honestly with a new license and new to biking I would buy an Ebike and get used to the way the local drive and the traffic flows. also if you are new to biking you may drop the thing a couple times... on an ebike it won't hurt the wallet so much...
    Are you sure?
    Hi guys, I just finished my motorcycle course while home in the states and got my motorcycle endorsement, now i can finally have it converted to a chinese license and buy a bike!

I'm hoping to stay legit and get a 京B plated bike, however, it seems like my options are very limited, especially given i want to get something relatively small.
    I'm reading in that he's been in Beijing for a while already and knows what he's getting into, and might already have an ebike.

5. #5 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Well in my experience after driving a car in China few years it was a big eye opener when changing to e-bike/moto because of the difference in behavior from the other e-bike/moto I received. the other bikes will actively avoid cars, but i found that e/bikes would just ignore other e-bike/moto riders. Also the chaos in the e-bike/moto sides are a bit more. I found if I was along on the road then e-bikers would start swarming into my lanes and riding area. Also many e-bike/motos don't drive with lights on and will drive on incoming lanes and in other directions (without lights on) if they see my single light they still stay on the incoming lane. I found in a car they don't do this.

But that's just my experience. If you have had a lot of experience motoring in China then I guess there is no problem. (mine was in Shanghai so maybe BJ is much better, I don;t know). It was just a suggestion.

6. #6 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    Well in my experience after driving a car in China few years it was a big eye opener when changing to e-bike/moto because of the difference in behavior from the other e-bike/moto I received. the other bikes will actively avoid cars, but i found that e/bikes would just ignore other e-bike/moto riders. Also the chaos in the e-bike/moto sides are a bit more. I found if I was along on the road then e-bikers would start swarming into my lanes and riding area. Also many e-bike/motos don't drive with lights on and will drive on incoming lanes and in other directions (without lights on) if they see my single light they still stay on the incoming lane. I found in a car they don't do this.

But that's just my experience. If you have had a lot of experience motoring in China then I guess there is no problem. (mine was in Shanghai so maybe BJ is much better, I don;t know). It was just a suggestion.
    Whatever, no point in arguing over it, we don't have enough information from the original poster to be able to tell his personal transportation situation.

7. #7 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi guys, my thanks to both of your for your thoughts and advice.

To prattle on a little more about myself, i've been in and out of beijing all my life, grew up here as a kid at ISB and went home for uni, work, and am back working again. I've been driving in Beijing legally and illegally for quite some time now, and more recently have also been biking to and fro work (our office is near jinglemen-Y and i've a place at 'the place.' yea... hahahaha

i'm looking to buy the bike mostly to commute and maybe ride around the country side on the weekend, my family lives in Riviera, so it's nice and quiet out there. (the new honda dealership is right down the street!)

But yea, regarding bikes, i'm mostly looking at the KTM 390 & the Ninja 300 right now, as those're the only 2 'small' bikes i'm certain can be purchased legally here in China, the cbr250r and the small yamaha yzfs are... gray at best it seems (meaning i can probably get an out of town plate, but it prolly can't be transfered to 京B because some of the paperwork will be iffy, but that's just my guess?)

If anyone has suggestions as to where i could find a legal cbr250r, yzf-R15 or even a Honda Grom, i'd be very much obliged as those might be cheaper than the bikes i'm looking at now. I *believe* i'm a good driver / rider as i've been operating motor-vehicles for ... 10+ years now and have never been in an accident, *knocks on wood*, hopefully i'll continue that tradition with the bike. :)

Anyhow, looking forward to your guys' thoughts and opinions, feel free to let me have it, i won't take offense. and regarding the e-bike, i heard there're some crazy new bikes that put gas-owered ones to shame, but the price tags have all been north of 12,000USD, so... that sounds a little much for me as i'd just get a smart car then...

Cheers,

Felix

8. #8 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    C-Moto Noob
    btw, is CFmoto the only importer of KTMs? Also, the only 'dealer' i've found for kawasakis is FHL? Is this correct?

Thanks in advanced!

Felix

9. #9 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    C-Moto Noob
    also, has anyone dealt with this club? : 速度驿站机车俱乐部?

Felix

10. #10 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 

Fair comment??? its your view but becarefull you could get yourself banned by the person who don't think your comments are "to his liking" i did ?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast